NAD 3045D + B&W 606 - placement and jitter

Hi, these are total beginner questions so if it's been well answered before please point me in the right direction.

OK so I just came from listening on cheap headphones and portable bluetooth speakers to a NAD 3045D + B&W 606's (on stands).

I am listening either to my library ripped over the years from CD's using JRiver, or Deezer HiFi streaming or Tidal HiFi/MQA streaming (trialling because Deezer has some bad problems).  Have tried both USB and optical connections from computer to NAD 3045D, and also optical connection to Chromecast Audio.  It looks like USB lets me enjoy higher quality options (although I'm not sure I can hear it) and is generally more reliable, so I'm going to use that by preference.

Questions:

Jitter - is it worth spending a few hundred dollars on the various devices that are available for USB connection?  My system sounds so much better than anything I had before that I don't recognise any problem at all.  Since it was not a super expensive system I don't want to waste money just to find out.  On the other hand I don't mind spending that sort of amount to make it even better.

Speaker placement - how can I learn a little more without having to keep moving speakers and furniture around?  Especially these questions - does it really matter whether the speakers are at normal listening height, or do they just need to be angled so they are aimed at the listener? what if there is no normal listening position, because of the way the room is used?  When I have the volume up it feels more like listening to the room than listening to the speakers, and it doesn't matter where I am in the room.  Am I imagining that?

Thanks for helping me start this journey.

Hi, the tweeter should be roughly at the same height as your ears when sitting in the sweet spot. Speakers 0.3-1m of the back wall. 

Hi, I would not spend anymore money until you have optimised your speaker placement, furniture positioning and room treatment (within reason). The biggest single mistake that people make in my experience is not bringing speakers out into the room enough so if you have the space then bring them out 3ft from the wall as a starting point and ensure that your listening positon/chair is positioned between them and at a distance back to form a triangle (i.e. equal to the distance between your speakers). Also ear height when seated should be inline to tweeter height. 

Another thing to be aware of (amongst many other things..) is the distance of side room walls to speaker sides. In a perfect world you should try to ensure that this distance is approx 50% / 60% greater than that of the distance of the speakers from their position to the wall behind them. Also simple room treaments such as using heavy curtains to treat windows can really help.

There is really no simple answer however as room sizes, wall constrution material, windows, furniture and equipment being used all combine to give different results. So experiment and enjoy the journey!

Thanks for those tips.  So if I want to make the listening spot as much of the room as possible I should start by making the triangle as big as possible and then try moving things?

Hi,

The listening spot where you will experience correct speaker imaging will only occue from a correctly positioned listening position as mentioned above. This of course does not mean that the rest of the room will not fill with music it's just that in that position you will get to enjoy the production of recordings (i.e. individual placement of voice / instruments, depth and height of sound etc.) in all of their glory.

I would imagine that B&W would state around 1.5 to 4 mts apart as a guildline however I would recommend a starting point around 2.5 mts (between the speakers) if you want more solid imaging at your listening spot (this is however only a guideline as if your room is only 3 mts wide then positioning would be comprised by the side walls). If you do want a larger space between them then you can also experiment with toeing in the speakers towards the listening spot. This can help in pinpointing the stereo image however be aware that a thing called mid bass coupling (this is a good thing!) can be lost when speakers are too far apart from each another. 

As mentioned so many things can effect the end result and unless you have a dedicated listening room then there is always going to be some compromise regarding sound and livability.

I hope I haven't added to the confusion! Happy tweaking!!! 

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By perthpete
      I am still (slowly, slowly) working my way thru auditioning various speakers etc. I just ran into this little video with a (surely one of many) way to empirically work out your best speaker placement (assuming soundstage is what you're going for... https://youtu.be/MOY_SneLtro

Did anyone use this (or similar) method? Was it successful?
    • By Rup
      Best music for speaker placement and best speaker placement tutorial???

Having acquired a pair of Harbeth P3ESR speakers I'm having fun looking for the ultimate speaker placement. 

I have downloaded
      The Visual Sound the Sound Liaison DXD Music Sampler 
      as it was recommended to me as being a great speaker placement tool.
       (Using the coupon code “XFI2019” you can download the 352DXD for $16 or the 24/ 96 files for $8.)
      Especially the phase coherent One Microphone recordings on the sampler seems excellent for that purpose: 
        Carmen Gomes inc. One Mic Recording Session       

https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/536-sound-liaison-dxd-music-sampler 

On the net i.e.  youtube, there are a great number of tutorials in speaker placement. 
       Any of these you would especially recommend?
                                                                     https://www.harbeth.co.uk/speakers/userguide.php    

• By LostIdentity
      So I am getting two subwoofers

SVS PB-2000 Pro : Ported with dimensions 440mm(W) x 571mm(D) Martin Logan Dynamo 1100: Sealed with Dimensions 380mm(W) x 411mm(D)  
      Room: 5800mm(L) x 3500mm(W) x 2700mm(H). Screen drop from a bulkhead which is probably going to 5500mm

Reading few guides, it recommends ideally to have the two subs diagonal in the room if possible. I have a L shape couch with the end finishing at approx 3140mm and the wall is 3500mm. So gives me approx 360mm between sofa and wall. Neither will fit.

So I will have to move the couch in-front to accomodate a sub at the back. Which will mean to move the couch at-least 600mm (depending on sub) + 100-200mm due to the curtain for it to close and not over the sub. So assuming 800-1000mm which means the sitting position has already lost a meter in a room which is length of approx 5500mm from the drop screen for 130". So makes the viewing distance roughly 4m or around for that screen size.

So the questions are

Should I put a subwoofer diagonally behind or just keep both in front? Which one should it at the back? Ported or Sealed? Or doesn't matter?  If I put it behind the sofa, should there be need for it to have some space to breath right and can't stick the sofa right on the cone? Or just put the sub sideways and thus stick the sofa right to the sub? Should I put the 2nd sub in front (behind the screen as it drops) or in the middle of length of the room where the sofa ends (so a middle room sub and front room sub / back room sub)  
      Just trying to see what size cable I need to buy depending on the position of the two subs. I can't try it right now due to the house not ready so trying to guesstimate it here. Otherwise I will have to buy maximum lengths cable (approx 15m to go around to back and another 10m for middle room placement) and then just warp up the waste if all in front room. I want to avoid really large cables and then waste on behind the cabinet if possible. Just becomes a mess.

Attached guide from SVS for subwoofer placement

• By petersv
      Item: Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker + Gieseler Linear Power Supply
      Price: $475 (Shipping +$15, PayPal +3%)
      Item Condition: Used, very good condition
      Reason for selling: No longer required.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (+3%) , Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:
      Listing is for a Wyred4Sound Remedy Reclocker (purchased 20-Oct-2015) and a Gieseler Linear PSU (purchased 31-Dec-2015), original Australian printed invoices are included for both items.

Used between a Sonos Connect and a Devialet 120 to great effect, reduced jitter was immediately noticable and converted the Connect into a high-performance device.

Although the reviews for the Reclocker have generally been very positive, I've found that the performance jump added when using the Gieseler Linear PSU to the Reclocker took its performance into a whole new realm (a bigger jump than the reclocker itself out of the box!) , and once heard with it, couldn't recommend listening without it. I've found the performance jump gained with this combo scales well when using even better sources/dac, not just entry/mid level etc.

Current RRP $870+

Review:
      http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/08/wyred4sound-remedy-spdif-reclocker-review/  
      https://wyred4sound.com/products/digital-converters/remedy-reclocker  
      Reclocker Features (from website):
        Utilizes an incredible Femto-grade clock Superior jitter reduction Toslink and Coaxial digital inputs Toslink, Coaxial, BNC digital outputs 96kHz output sampling frequency* Digital inputs support up to 24/192kHz 9VDC power supply included 5 year warranty  
      Gieseler Linear PSU:
      Description
      This linear low noise DC power supply is designed to improve the performance of digital audio accessory devices that are normally powered by small SMPS plug-packs. All the internal components are of high quality & are selected for reliability & sound quality where applicable. Capacitors are Nichicon Fine Gold, Panasonic or Elna Silmic II’s. It is powered by external IE core transformers. These have a distinct advantage over the usual Toroidal type as they have better isolation between the windings & lower bandwidth means less HF noise coming in via the mains. Also being external there is less radiated hum entering the power supply circuitry. Noise, hum & ripple levels are very low due to the common mode choke pre filtering & low noise Linear Technology high performance regulators. Also what helps to reduce noise as well is the use of Schottky diodes & a transformer LC snubber. The DC output cable/connection is an area that is often neglected; so I have gone to extra lengths here to get it right. The DC output on the supply uses a Neutrik 6 Amp XLR gold pin socket. The supplied DC cable uses a matching Neutrik gold pin plug hand soldered to a 10A lead with moulded DC barrel connector for ruggedness.

Specifications
      Noise level is approximately 20 uV to 40 uV d. Ripple & hum rejection is approximately 100 dB. Short circuit & thermal protection.

http://gieseler.com.au/ProductsPage/index.html
      Pictures:

• By RTR001
      Hey all, I'm hoping someone on here may have some experience with electrostatic speakers and difficult placement requiring the use of acoustic panels.

I've purchased a pair of Martin Logan ESLs for my lounge room and I went in with my eyes open regarding difficult placement etc of this type of speaker. My situation is that ideally I need them to sit a little further back than the minimal recommended 2' from rear and side walls. They sound great where they are at the moment but having them so far forward is not aesthetically pleasing in our main living area (and the Mrs needs to be as chuffed as I am) so I want to move them back into more of a 'traditional' speaker placement.

Does anyone have any experience running these closer to the walls? I'm assuming absorption panels behind /beside will help but will it also reduce the sound stage/volume? Would diffusion panels be better behind them? My ideal placement would have one speaker ~1' from the front and side wall, while the other is open on the sides but would still be ~1' from the front wall.

Really appreciate any advice/wisdom