Old Yamaha Ns 1000 Man

Shawie

1st entry, new member interested in all things stereo. My passion is my Yamaha Ns 1000's bought 1978 and still amazing and in perfect condition, paired with Ns 10's as back surrounds, and driven with Yamaha YP D10 Turntable 1978, with new Yamaha receiver. Great to read, see and hear all the other stories of NS 1000 devotees. Any views of adjusted tone levels with Mid and Tweet controls?

Guest jakeyb77

Welcome. I’m up to my my fifth pair. If you are keen a re-cap of the crossovers is a great uplift. It will also negate your need to adjust the mid and high so much as bass will be more integrated. 

3 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Welcome. I’m up to my my fifth pair. If you are keen a re-cap of the crossovers is a great uplift. It will also negate your need to adjust the mid and high so much as bass will be more integrated. 

the sonic signature of a fresh cap is less highs and mids?

Guest jakeyb77
3 minutes ago, ASG said:

the sonic signature of a fresh cap is less highs and mids?

No... the bass will be extended to match the mids and highs better. Also new cabinets help as the originals are less than equal to the drivers 

14 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

No... the bass will be extended to match the mids and highs better. Also new cabinets help as the originals are less than equal to the drivers 

Help me out here @jakeyb77 - these speakers need better cabinets, better crossovers? 

What IS this mystic power that the NS’s have if they are so imperfect?

I don’t get it- I don’t see any other speakers going thru upgrades?

i went thru the ridiculous upgrade paths on a few Regas and all that did was teach me how fatally flawed their product is.

Are they THAT good lookin’?

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
9 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Help me out here @jakeyb77 - these speakers need better cabinets, better crossovers? 

What IS this mystic power that the NS’s have if they are so imperfect?

I don’t get it- I don’t see any other speakers going thru upgrades?

i went thru the ridiculous upgrade paths on a few Regas and all that did was teach me how fatally flawed their product is.

Are they THAT good lookin’?

The re-cap is primarily done for variances in caps due to age. You’re talking 1976 in some cases. Lots of JBL speakers have cap upgrades. 

A lot of people say the speakers are bass shy. I’d probably lean to the side that the mids and tweeters are very very good and that the woofer gets overshadowed. The cap upgrade can increase bass response and roll off the highs just a little. 

The cabinets come into play with the extra thickness and bracing. That makes any speaker better really. 

I loved my old pairs of Yammies but I’d have to say my new ones with both upgrades are by far my fave. 

The highs and mids on the new pair are still fast and detailed but the bass is room shaking. 

My two cents anyway. 

But a good pair can be had for less than $2000. Spend $1500 on upgrades and for $3500 you have a speaker that is hard to better for the price.