Sign in to follow this  
Pedro G.

Difference in sound between day and night. Help!

Hello Guys,I'm having a pretty big difference in sound quality in my system between day and night. 

During day time the system sounds very very nice, but during night time it sounds superb, amazing, incredible, I dont have enough accolades.

I have the Audio-GD R8 DAC, the Audio-GD Master 1 preamp and a Nord Acoustics Class D Power Amp (wich is a hell of an amp) and I think the most sensitive to AC Power noise/problems is the R8. I also have the Wyred4Sound USB Reclocker, but as it has a dedicated Swagman Lab Linear Power Supply, so I don't think it is the problem.

I also have the Bada 5600 Power Filter, three PS Audio Noise Harvester, DH Labs Power Cables and good connectors (Wattgate) on all the different parts of the system, but it seems to be not enough to better completely the AC Power deficiencies.

As anyone experienced the same and corrected it? How? 

I prefer to keep the budget under 1.500 USD, so most of the Power Regenerators offered on the market (PS Audio, etc) can't be considered. What about the Dussun X800 Pure Power Supply Regenerator? Has anyone tried it or tried any Dussun product? There are a few pretty decent reviews of Dussun products on Internet, but not much.

I cannot install a dedicated Power Line for my system, I can only use the shared AC circuit.

Thank you! 

Go to the bathroom, splash cold water on your face, neck and hair. Slap your cheeks several times, look at your reflection in the mirror and tell yourself  " when it comes to any of lifes passions, no man can have it all".

And you forgot to mention what speakers you have.

I have experienced it, I was close to the noisiest power transformer that was so out of balance it buzzed loud enough to keep people awake. Have you checked to see if you have over voltage e.g. 260 watts I solved my particular problem in two ways get a polarity checker from Jaycar and check all your power points in your house . I found one with no earth connected at all .
The class D amp needs to be plugged into something to stop the hash they generate back thru the lines plug it into a separate power point preferably on a different circuit to your hi gear . Separate your digital and amplifier stuff onto different boards , lastly I was forced to use Tortech 240 to 220 volt step downs to reduce the over voltages to my pre and power amps also these cleaned up the hash . In your case plugging the " D " into one would help . That's what I had to do it worked .

What about just less outside noise at night time? 

You could easily see if this is the case by using a SPL meter app and checking what the background levels are like.

6 hours ago, Pedro G. said:

Hello Guys,I'm having a pretty big difference in sound quality in my system between day and night. 

During day time the system sounds very very nice, but during night time it sounds superb, amazing, incredible, I dont have enough accolades.

I have the Audio-GD R8 DAC, the Audio-GD Master 1 preamp and a Nord Acoustics Class D Power Amp (wich is a hell of an amp) and I think the most sensitive to AC Power noise/problems is the R8. I also have the Wyred4Sound USB Reclocker, but as it has a dedicated Swagman Lab Linear Power Supply, so I don't think it is the problem.

I also have the Bada 5600 Power Filter, three PS Audio Noise Harvester, DH Labs Power Cables and good connectors (Wattgate) on all the different parts of the system, but it seems to be not enough to better completely the AC Power deficiencies.

I prefer to keep the budget under 1.500 USD, so most of the Power Regenerators offered on the market (PS Audio, etc) can't be considered. What about the Dussun X800 Pure Power Supply Regenerator? Has anyone tried it or tried any Dussun product? There are a few pretty decent reviews of Dussun products on Internet, but not much.

I cannot install a dedicated Power Line for my system, I can only use the shared AC circuit.

Thank you! 

Spend $30 on a plug that will safely measure your voltage, of it you have solar PV that'll report mains voltage first get an idea of performance. 

Check first to see that nothing is out of tolerance. If it is, call your electricity distributor. 

Not likely to be the case though no hard checking before you pull out your checkbook.

Don't spend any money on regeneration before you've checked voltage, power quality and reticulation options.

6 hours ago, Pedro G. said:

and a Nord Acoustics Class D Power Amp (wich is a hell of an amp) 

Which one? There’s lot of them with different buffer section

Speakers are?

7 hours ago, Pedro G. said:

Try removing all of these and stick ordinary power cables in.

I don't think this is too uncommon, after all far fewer people using power at night, especially late at night.

I had silimar experience before except my system sounded better at early morning. I think it’s to do with two things: ambient noise and AC power noise. Ambient noise may require some acoustic treatment. AC power noise may require power conditioning. I had good result with Isotek power boards which is within your budget. 

11 hours ago, Pedro G. said:

Thank you! 

Hi,

I think very very nice at its worst sounding is still pretty good! Even though regenerators seem to a better option than standard regulated power conditioners I would still try before you buy as they can also suck the life out of some power amps. 

While I find it's generally true that your system is likely to sound better at night, with reduction in ambient noise from trucks and leaf blowers and such, even in a 'quiet' suburb, my own experience is that during the DAY there is a lot of electronic 'hash'/pollution on the power line that can't really be removed easily. In my own house that was not fixed by power regenerators, or a dedicated AC line, or a new switchboard, (although I am installing a Holton DC Blocker shortly anyway).

It was mostly fixed when the Electricity Authority found that in my suburb there were so many industrial machines operating on my line 9-5 that they offered to "change my phase". I said 'yes' and this worked wonders...but it still wasn't as good as the quiet evenings are. Especially after 10 pm.

Of course I don't quite know about phase and power delivery but I do know there is more to do from where you are...

Just my 2c worth

While I find it's generally true that your system is likely to sound better at night, with reduction in ambient noise from trucks and leaf blowers and such, even in a 'quiet' suburb, my own experience is that during the DAY there is a lot of electronic 'hash'/pollution on the power line that can't really be removed easily. In my own house that was not fixed by power regenerators, or a dedicated AC line, or a new switchboard, (although I am installing a Holton DC Blocker shortly anyway).

It was mostly fixed when the Electricity Authority found that in my suburb there were so many industrial machines operating on my line 9-5 that they offered to "change my phase". I said 'yes' and this worked wonders...but it still wasn't as good as the quiet evenings are. Especially after 10 pm.

Of course I don't quite know about phase and power delivery but I do know there is more to do from where you are...

Just my 2c worth
Mine improved when they replaced the cursed Transformer near my house . Also checking the outside earth and each and every power point in the house. I've seen loose connections behind the points on rewired houses. Get a Jaycar power point checker,

Check incoming voltage.

+/- more than 10 volts is quite common occurance 

On 01/02/2019 at 12:03 AM, Pedro G. said:

From other details you've supplied, I can see that you have assumed that there is a problem with the mains power supply.

Have you considered that you may simply be in a more relaxed state at night, a state more receptive to listening to music? 

That, and/or quieter ambient noise, could explain your enhanced appreciation of your system at night.

If I may chip in, yes, that's a definite associated factor. But the differences subjectively are pretty large and almost 'sudden' at certain times of the evening