SOLD: SOLD: Ambience SuperSlim 1600 Hybrid Ribbons Pair Black

SOLD

Item: Pair of Tony Moore Ambience SuperSlim 1600 Hybrid Ribbons - Black
Price: $999 $850
Item Condition: Used but still producing an excellent result
Reason for selling: Downsizing. The Ribbons are  brilliant, but need to be spaced off the walls to be at their best.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: Made (by Tony) and delivered in November 1997

One pair has sold. ANOTHER PAIR IS AVAILABLE (identical to the first pair). First buyer was very pleased with the sound. These ribbons are still in fantastic condition. An audition *WILL* impress. If I had the room for them I would not be parting with them. But I do need to part with them.

Pictures:

PairRibbons.jpg

Speakers-5.jpg

Speakers-2.jpg

Edited by pmcd1138
  • Like 1

I’ll say it’s a bargain too. I have an earlier version - they are 1600’s but are the wider models. And produce a wonderful sound.

id be interested to know how far from the wall pcmd1138 in his experience has them placed to get the best results - mine are forever on the move!

7 hours ago, misternavi said:

@pmcd1138 Do they require a bit of power from the power amp? Does it go below 4ohms?

how far from the back wall do you recommend for these?

The Superslim series just requires an amplifier with good 4 Ohm power delivery. Above crossover point (400Hz) they are highly resistive in nature and thus reasonably easy to drive. In the bass region, they exhibit a standard bass reflex 'double hump' impedance curve and that always remains above 4 Ohms.

• Like 1

I have only ever driven them with amplifiers of 200wpc/8ohm specs, ones that can comfortably drive 4ohms. My main amplifier was a Music Labs ML825mkII which was 250wpc in 8, and given the engineering of the thing, it had absolutely not trouble with the 4 ohm. I know a lot of people use much less and still get excellent results. 

I found a minimum a metre and a half to be better for me, back when I had a room large enough that I could do that. In a much smaller multi-purpose space now, and can't have them out from the wall other than for listening.  Don't get me wrong. They still sound great only just a bit off the wall, but the sound stage (depth and atmosphere in particular) opens up more off the walls. It also has a lot to do with your room acoustics. I had hard surfaces on the wall, so the distance reduce the speed of the early reflections from the back wall. 

33 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

I have hesrd these almost right up against a wall, but the wall behind the speakers was covered with absorption panels. Sounded fantastatic.

Glws

Yep. Ambience always sound better with absorbent rear and side walls. And yes, they can positioned closer to adjacent walls, if those walls are absorbent.

Wow GLWTS. They look amazing in black!!

I have the 1800's, so I imagine that my experience should be of value to whoever buys these.

I run mine off a 150w SS amp (Emotiva) @4ohms. Drives them like a piece of piss. My DAC has a physical volume control and in my room I hit reference at half volume. I have a subwoofer that doesn't intergrate well whatsoever, but it helps at times.

Setup

I've tried rule of 3rds, cardas (with/without dipole), ultra wide, super toe in, 1,3,5m off wall. With and without sound panels on all 4 walls, diagonal placement, right against the wall, in the middle of the room, long wall v short wall, ect.

My room is 4.5m wide, 8m long and 2.5m high. i have 2 rugs, no sound treatment, tiles, a glass door but gyprock on walls as it is an apartment.

I've tried these speakers in many types of rooms. They are a very satisfying speaker to hear but a difficult speaker to satisfy if that makes sense.

Minimum requirements are 4ohm at 80w for me, with 1-1.5m off any wall, virually no toe in.

What I love about this speaker
Despite how finnicky it can be, it can satisfy so many listening requirements.

For example, near field critical listening, check.  You get these bursts of height that are unreal and depth of the sound. Outstanding

Standing right back like at a party, 2,3,4,5,10m check, sound stage is unreal, its so big, so cohesive. 

Standing up nearfield, also great, its a listening dynamic most speakers cant reproduce period.

Heck just plonk the speakers on the far left and right wall in the middle of the room and stand IN THE MUSIC. Its just the best, a speaker that you can experience!

If you match these speakers with 2 subs running in near field or just in your room, and you cross over the speakers to enhance the mid range and bass about 80hz and its great.

What I dont like about this speaker
The slam factor is meh. The wow factor is very sophisticated and doesn't grab you by the balls like RF7's would for example. I find I always want to move these speakers around because I can achieve different sound so it doesnt satisfy my itch. It is certainly high up on the audiophile ladder for experiences though.

Bottom line for me is that they will give you a presentation of your music that you can keep coming back to over and over again. But you may tire of them as your daly driver.