Kayo Sports

Anyone using this? They offered February for $5 if you're a new signee. Unfortunately I signed up just before the offer.

I only watch NBA and it has two games a day live usually. Which isn't bad. I noticed they have the Foxtel AFL live channels. If so, I might keep the sub during the AFL season. If not, screw it. For me, $25 a month is too much on top of Netflix, Stan, Apple Music and whatever else I can't remember I'm subbed to.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/01/2019 at 1:59 PM, dack said:

Anyone using this?

I made use of the 2 week trial and the $5 Febuary offer. It seems to me to be good value at $25 month. My issue is with trying to cast from my laptop to chromecast on the TV. I have good nbn but I am a long way from the modem so the picture quality goes from good to bad with wifi. I guess I could (will) get some sort of booster or repeater closer to my end of the house. I will be staying and will be happy if I can sort the wifi out.

Edited by Hazzzy

I signed up for the free trial but was late cancelling so ended up with another month.

I only wanted it for the BBL and tests.

@Hazzzy I found the same casting to a Chromecast Ultra. I moved my Time Capsule to next to the AVR and it's the best picture I've had with live sport. It rivals the Apple TV picture. Love it so much I'm tempted to subscribe for the AFL season.

But yes $25/month is a bit steep after paying for Tidal and Netflix.

59 minutes ago, a.dent said:

the best picture I've had

Interesting

Was it obtained casting or hdmi cable? I called kayo and they tried to give the impression I was the only one having this issue. My research tells me otherwise. I bought a new chromecast ultra to get this working but still not the best picture. They say my wifi connection is the weak link. That may be true. Keen to hear others experience with this issue. A speedtest say's 25mbps on the laptop but kayo only gives 5mbps at best.

Rob

Edited by Hazzzy

I'm subscribed.   Have found the picture quality to be approaching that of Foxtel HD via cable/satellite..... which is to say dramatically better than FTA broadcasts.    The "stats" part of the user interface sats streaming full resolution takes about 10mbps, and they keep a long buffer.

I have used the foxtel go service (foxtel live channels over the internet) for a long time, and I have found the result quite variable across ISPs.... it seems many ISPs do not have very reliable bandwidth to the location(s) where Foxtel hosts the streams from.

A simple way to test this is to connect a device to the internet via ethernet cable, and a display via HDMI.    These cables are only a few dollars each if you need to buy them for an temporary test.

You may need to force the app to choose higher quality .... rather than "auto".

50 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

display via HDMI

Yes the picture is perfect using a hdmi cable but then I am restricted with what I can do with the laptop when using it. My plan was to cast to the tv with my chromecast ultra! Seems to me the ultra is an issue for me unless windows 8.1 using google chrome is a possible issue. Come to think of it I tried casting from my phone with the same issue. Mabey I have a dodgy new ultra. Will have to get a friend to try it.

Edited by Hazzzy

On 17/02/2019 at 7:33 AM, Hazzzy said:

Interesting

Was it obtained casting or hdmi cable? I called kayo and they tried to give the impression I was the only one having this issue. My research tells me otherwise. I bought a new chromecast ultra to get this working but still not the best picture. They say my wifi connection is the weak link. That may be true. Keen to hear others experience with this issue. A speedtest say's 25mbps on the laptop but kayo only gives 5mbps at best.

Rob

Yes I have the chrome cast connected to my AVR with HDMI.

The picture quality is only good when the WiFi source is right next to the Chromecast. Otherwise it can look like a VHS tape picture.

22 hours ago, Hazzzy said:

Yes the picture is perfect using a hdmi cable but then I am restricted with what I can do with the laptop when using it. My plan was to cast to the tv with my chromecast ultra! Seems to me the ultra is an issue for me unless windows 8.1 using google chrome is a possible issue. Come to think of it I tried casting from my phone with the same issue. Mabey I have a dodgy new ultra. Will have to get a friend to try it.

When I cast to the CCU i start from my MacBook Air and Chrome or Kayo App on my iPhone. Once casting you can close Chrome or the app and still have Kayo streaming.

I will be relocating the chromecast as soon as an HDMI adaptor for the long cable I have arrives and hopefully a better picture. 

Fixed my picture issues by relocating the chromecast to the lounge room which is much closer to the modem. Happy days.

Edited by Hazzzy

On 18/02/2019 at 10:11 AM, a.dent said:

The picture quality is only good when the WiFi source is right next to the Chromecast

Fixed my picture issues by moving the chromecast closer to the modem with a long hdmi cable

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/03/2019 at 3:56 PM, blybo said:

Does Kayo get any of the footy shows like AFL 360 or On the couch? Then I'd just need a source for the few foxtel shows my wife watches and I'd drop foxtel.

Yep ... it has all of it.  You tell it you like AFL and it gives a specific horizontal category with all current AFL stuff. 

Rumour is Foxtel will launch a kayo like service for drama and other shows, and Foxtel Now will be dumped all together.  The changes they made late last year to Foxtel now pricing seems to indicate they have no interest in developing or growing the service.

im on an NbN 50 plan (FTTN) (downstream connection usually around 46mbit) and AppleTV 4K and I have to say the Kayo streaming quality (and maintaining quality throughout the steam) has been flawless. The wide angle shots are the only area where the PQ suffers slightly but I reckon to 90% of people they wouldn’t notice the difference with Foxtel satellite HD channels.  The higher frame rate on Kayo wipes the floor compared to sport on Foxtel now. 

I had both and I believe it is the same broadcast (for MotoGP), apart from a minute or so for the data stream to catch up the picture is just as good in my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Batty said:

I had both and I believe it is the same broadcast (for MotoGP), apart from a minute or so for the data stream to catch up the picture is just as good in my opinion.

Great thanks. I pay $39 a month for sports HD iq3 cable. When they can’t keep me at this pricing anymore I guess I will go with kayo....

may miss the recording feature of the iq3 though.

38 minutes ago, Batty said:

I let go of Foxtelearlier this month after trying Kayo for the MotoGP racing. Same coverage plus you can stream later when it is suitable.

Does Foxtel or Kayo run any form of ads in their sporting coverage?

Yes, but the race is uninterupted for Moto GP (that is basically all I watch). For the Bike racing, Kayo is the same as Foxtel, it even has the logo in the top right.