Sign in to follow this  
Ittaku

Extreme filtering software upscaling

29 minutes ago, legend said:

I pay bottom dollar - but it is adequate for my needs!

Fair enough! I'm a software engineer and have a family full of people who heavily use the internet. We normally go through 1.5-2TB per month.

We usually struggle to use our 50 Gb quota - but then we are from a different generation and not addicted to Facebook, Netflix etc!

Well with my added bandwidth it does mean one thing - if anyone wants anything upscaled, downscaled, resampled of any size (like a whole CD) and has a way of getting it to me, I'll be happy to do it for them and provide them with a download.

9 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I pay top dollar to be with Internode and have a 100/40 connection

I do too, but am lucky to get 10 days a fortnight with more than zero connection.

But down here it's with the very inappropriately named "Fixed Wireless".

32 minutes ago, BioBrian said:

I do too, but am lucky to get 10 days a fortnight with more than zero connection.

But down here it's with the very inappropriately named "Fixed Wireless".

I feel for you. Unfortunately all I get by being with Internode really is fast English speaking service and I've had to use them many times in the past. Alas fuxed wireless is rubbish.

3 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

fuxed wireless

And not only in NZ!

You really must be on the premium scale - I only get very marginally "English-speaking" people on the Internode help line.

I think over-subscription and Netflix are 2 likely suspects here. But the whole thing is apparently un-knowable.

Sorry, that's all a bit OT. I did manage to download those files via Russell though, thank you.

1 hour ago, BioBrian said:

And not only in NZ!

You really must be on the premium scale - I only get very marginally "English-speaking" people on the Internode help line.

I think over-subscription and Netflix are 2 likely suspects here. But the whole thing is apparently un-knowable.

Sorry, that's all a bit OT. I did manage to download those files via Russell though, thank you.

Well I've been with them for over a decade so maybe that counts? They expedited my NBN connection too which is normally 2-5 working days from install; it took 2 hours. I don't mind going offtopic on my own threads if it's something I'm interested in; it's the prerogative of the opening poster to decide what to discuss in their threads in my opinion :)

For grins I used my new PC to see how it would fare with the upscaling and the magic 1 billion taps target and it peaked at 71.3GB ram used, and the filter took 74 seconds to build and start up, but then it ran at double real time speed overall. This means that with an exceptionally powerful PC, once you've built up the filter, you could use 1 billion taps on the fly when serving music without delay. If it were in the actual playback chain, there would be about a 3 hour lag time.