Ittaku

Extreme filtering software upscaling

8 hours ago, Assisi said:

The question is filtering and or DSP external to a good quality DAC with serious internal implementation, of a benefit

That's a complex question ... and depends a lot on the specifics of the DAC and the specifics of the filter.....  It could be, Yes.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

This is not a problem if you are single listener

Eh?

Peaks/dips in the 'off-axis' response of a speaker are a not a problem?    😮

You are undoubtedly aware that many people consider them to be one of the biggest problems (!?)

8 hours ago, Assisi said:

@Ittaku

I have very good components so what I hear is definitely wonderful without adding extra processing.  As I said I am becoming focused towards less is more

Someone on this site has/had a saying along the lines "things need to be as complex or as simple as they need to be, not more or less".  I think this is true and in some cases complexity is required to solve a problem/make an improvement as in the case of extreme upsampling.

1 minute ago, davewantsmoore said:

Eh?

Peaks/dips in the 'off-axis' response of a speaker are a not a problem?    😮

You are undoubtedly aware that many people consider them to be one of the biggest problems (!?)

I was speaking purely in the context of room correction,  I assumed a single listener is on axis.

30 minutes ago, legend said:

I was speaking purely in the context of room correction,  I assumed a single listener is on axis.

Yes, I know you were.

If you correct the single listener directly arriving sound ....  Then as you said, you create peaks/dips in other positions (ie. at other listening angles).

This is a significant problem for that single listener ..... as they do not just hear the directly arriving sound.   They also hear the reflected/delayed sound (which contains the peaks/dips).

This is why speaker directivity (goes by other names, like "polar response") is so important ....  The more similar the speaker radiates with angle, the less likely correcting the directly arring sound, will result in peaks and dips at other listening angles.

Yes this is all correct but I was speaking about something different,  Even if the axial and polar responses are flat but there is still a peak at the single speaker listening position due to standing waves of the room then correcting for these standing waves at one position will make things worse at other positions in the room. 

For example if there is a standing wave trough at 300 Hz then there will be a peak half a wavelength (about 50 cm) away.  Adding gain to fill in the trough at 300 Hz at the LP will also add gain at the other position ie will make the peak higher and worse there.

Edited by legend
error correction

36 minutes ago, legend said:

due to standing waves of the room

Ah.  That clarifies it  :):thumb: