Cinema Seats - options in Australia?

• Administrator

We've been on the hunt for cinema seats to replace our old, cheap manual recliners. After doing the rounds of all the typical furniture places HN actually had a very comfy one that was fairly priced. The downside, it only came in a 4-seat configuration. 

gp887836_1.jpg

I'm familiar with RowOne which a limited range of is available in AU. They're good but quite expensive. Before I commit, I thought I would see what other options are available in Australia.

Considerations:

1. Must be electric recline, and electric adjustable headrest.

2. Must be 3-seater.

3. Curved is preferred over straight.

Any ideas or brands you're aware of that are actually available in Australia?

• Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, but we also like the consoles between seats in a traditional home cinema sofa. 

I would feel cramped sitting on one of those with two others watching a movie.

Marc, i had IMG recliners in my last setup
absolutely loved them, super comfy and can customize to how you like, curved, straight, different storage arm rests, colours, etc etc
Not the cheapest, but can bargain and get good pricing.

I have the IMG too, mine are slightly different in that the headrest is tilt-able but not height adjustable. Crown is the name of mine. You can choose straight or curved modules in between just as in the Divani link above. There are 2 leather options, the cheaper 1 is pretty poor for the $$$. You can also order with Warwick Macro-suede which is an awesome material, our Dare couch in it is 15 years old and still looks great.

IMG_2559.JPG

Edited by blybo

• Administrator

Definitely keen to check out this range. I think John's version from what I can tell has fully adjustable headrests (big criteria for me) although I think they are manually adjusted rather than electric. I also like the idea of fabric rather than leather. 

Will have to make a trip with the decision maker!

adjustable headrests, up and down back and forth, but correct manual only, but no big deal as you will pick your seat and adjust one time i would think. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party but check these out at FocusOn.

https://www.focusonfurniture.com.au/carlos-electric-recliner-combination/

I am picking mine up this weekend. I got the 2 seater, middle console, 2 tray tables and a tablet mount for $1,844. Was on special for $1,999 at the end of last year then they had another promo on that you got $100 off for every $1,000 spent so I got an extra tray table that was about $70 which tipped it over $2k (then brought it back down to $1,844).

You can add as many chairs as you want. Nice and comfy, electric tilt, foot and headrest, the tray tables/tablet holder are pretty cool. 3 year warranty on electronics too which I hope I won't have to use.

The cup holders are flush but you can press another button and the pop up further which is useless but rather amusing to use...

Was hard to beat for the money. I can take photos and post them over the weekend if you wish!

Edited by BenThatcher

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is also Manhattan Cinema Seating. However, these are similarly priced to the Row One range.

We have a single seat version of the New Yorker Pro in our 2 channel demo area and have to say that the build quality is remarkable. We also plan to display a 3 seater version of the Gotham Pro once our cinema demo room is completed.

The Comfort Series is their entry level range which do sell for quite a bit less than the two models above.

Marc, I can see that it is has been over 5 months since you posted this thread. I'm curious to know what you decided upon?

Edited by Space Hi-Fi

• Administrator

I ended up buying Manhattan New Yorker Pros. There was some damage in transit unfortunately, but the local support/manufacturer have been fantastic in resolving the issues - going above and beyond.

On 18/06/2019 at 9:58 AM, Marc said:

I ended up buying Manhattan New Yorker Pros. There was some damage in transit unfortunately, but the local support/manufacturer have been fantastic in resolving the issues - going above and beyond.

Wow, awesome! Great to hear.

Edited by Space Hi-Fi
  • Like 1

Just stumbled across this thread, the IMG seats look great.

I was at HN yesterday picking up a tablet and they had some really good seats made by Whitehaven.  https://www.harveynorman.com.au/whitehaven-fabric-recliner.html

I've been toying the idea of upgrading my current seats also.

These were full electric, had headrest adjustment via electric motor etc.  They had a two seater option and single seats - they didn't come as a genuine 3 seater with individual recliners but you would easily be able to sit 3 singles next to each other i would say - depending on the width in the room.  I'll be checking more info on the IMG set and the width etc too as the whitehaven seats might make things a little squeezy in my room.

Not sure on IMG pricing but the Whitehaven were in leather and and fabric (suede look) for $1500 and $900 respectively per single seat at the moment.

Edited by 08Boss302

They look very similar to the ones i have but i have 3 seater also not electric - you recline just by pushing back on them.  I got mine from a place in Melbourne locally.  They've served well and continue to do so, however after seeing the seats at HN yesterday i can feel that itch starting - usual upgraditis that hits us in this hobby haha

Capture.JPG