Sign in to follow this  
Grumpy

100hz or 200hz

I have a choice of a couple of 55" Panasonic TVs - a 100hz, or for a bit more money a 200hz. ( FX700 or FX800)

Is it worth spending a couple of hundred dollars more for the 200hz model?

I think I read the panel in the FX800 is quite a bit better and worth the extra without even the Hz difference. 200Hz will help with sports or anything fast moving.

I got the 65" FX800 and think its great. I had a Panasonic 60" Plasma before.

Edited by rocky500

47 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

I think I read the panel in the FX800 is quite a bit better and worth the extra without even the Hz difference. 200Hz will help with sports or anything fast moving.

Thanks rocky

G;day @rocky500 , Can you tell me please, does the FX 800 series come with Mozilla built in like my 740 does?

Just tried the browser as in the pic. The readme only mentions Panasonic, so they must have branded someones browser.

The only app I would also of liked is STAN. They do not have it. They have Plex though.

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

Panasonic use a Mozilla TV freeware as the basis of their menu system. Mozilla no longer work on this software, but obviously Panasonic still does. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could add apps that you want but aren’t currently available on your TV’s menu, as the OS is open source. How to go about that though, I don’t know. I’ll add it to the “to do” list

On 28/01/2019 at 4:01 PM, Grumpy said:

I have a choice of a couple of 55" Panasonic TVs - a 100hz, or for a bit more money a 200hz. ( FX700 or FX800)

Is it worth spending a couple of hundred dollars more for the 200hz model?

Basically YES, especially for watching sports and when gaming, a faster refresh rate is always a good thing

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, rocky500 said:

Had your Panasonic plasma reached the end of its life or was it the 4K thing?    Going from a gorgeous self emissive, display with contrast, colours and blacks to die for -  to an edge lit LED with an IPS panel.............appreciate the brand loyalty thing but am regretting getting rid of my Samsung 2012 plasma in favour of LCD.   

53 minutes ago, pc9 said:

Had your Panasonic plasma reached the end of its life or was it the 4K thing?    Going from a gorgeous self emissive, display with contrast, colours and blacks to die for -  to an edge lit LED with an IPS panel.............appreciate the brand loyalty thing but am regretting getting rid of my Samsung 2012 plasma in favour of LCD.   

My brother needed a TV and thought I could help plus upgrade. The Plasma was too much like a mirror and my room has a lot of light. Glass surface on panel quite reflective.

No brand loyalty. I was deciding on a few brands but went with the Pana as it was IPS and I have it mounted higher than normal, above eye level. Plus supposedly no burn in when I leave up static images of my PC playing music etc.

The colours and viewing are so much better in the day now or with lights on. Plus 4K is so impressive. No regrets.

Plus a friend had just before me went from a higher end 65" panasonic plasma to this screen and loved the change. Same reason to help a brother too. :-)

Edited by rocky500

I have pulled the trigger on a FX800 to replace my faulty Pana CX740.

16 hours ago, rocky500 said:

My brother needed a TV and thought I could help plus upgrade. The Plasma was too much like a mirror and my room has a lot of light. Glass surface on panel quite reflective.

No brand loyalty. I was deciding on a few brands but went with the Pana as it was IPS and I have it mounted higher than normal, above eye level. Plus supposedly no burn in when I leave up static images of my PC playing music etc.

The colours and viewing are so much better in the day now or with lights on. Plus 4K is so impressive. No regrets.

Plus a friend had just before me went from a higher end 65" panasonic plasma to this screen and loved the change. Same reason to help a brother too. 🙂

Fair enough. I tried an LG LCD with an IPS panel a few years back for the spare room. Worst buying decision I ever made. It was okay at first - nice colours, good screen uniformity, wide viewing angle etc but the dark sceen performance was appalling.  Dark sceens were like watching a London fog and no amount of callibration could fix this. All of the major reviewers, notwithstanding their manufacturer or technology bias recommend against purchasing IPS panels (something that I was not aware of at the time I purchased the LG) due to poor blacks and contrast and, after my LG experience, I can understand why. 

Having said that, I guess if movies aren't part of the watching experience then an IPS panel would be fine for sports and TV shows, in addition to Panasonic's quality control, warranty support and from what I hear, excellent picture processing.

Happy viewing.

On 02/02/2019 at 5:54 AM, pc9 said:

Fair enough. I tried an LG LCD with an IPS panel a few years back for the spare room. Worst buying decision I ever made. It was okay at first - nice colours, good screen uniformity, wide viewing angle etc but the dark sceen performance was appalling.  Dark sceens were like watching a London fog and no amount of callibration could fix this. All of the major reviewers, notwithstanding their manufacturer or technology bias recommend against purchasing IPS panels (something that I was not aware of at the time I purchased the LG) due to poor blacks and contrast and, after my LG experience, I can understand why. 

Having said that, I guess if movies aren't part of the watching experience then an IPS panel would be fine for sports and TV shows, in addition to Panasonic's quality control, warranty support and from what I hear, excellent picture processing.

Happy viewing.

I too have read about IPS panels not having the best blacks and how the pana plasma was so much better.

I almost bought a different TV, but viewing angles won in the end, plus I saw it first hand at a mates place. Now I have it, I am impressed. Way better than expected in the black levels. I do not miss the Plasma at all.

I use Plex and Netflix, so watch movies and TV series on it.  

Love watching SciFi, and prefer this one over my previous Plasma. 

Maybe the LG you got a few years ago is poorer on the blacks and the newer IPS panels like this one are very much improved?

As I am impressed with it. :)

These pics don't show what its like in real life here. Seem very soft now I posted it. Just took them of live images, no pausing and hand held.

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

Edited by rocky500

On 02/02/2019 at 11:22 AM, rocky500 said:

I too have read about IPS panels not having the best blacks and how the pana plasma was so much better.

The vast majority of  Panasonic Plasma TV's had VERY ordinary blacks and often terrible screen filters so performed very poorly under strong ambient light. However the VT60, and to a lesser extent the VT50 series are a whole differs kettle of fish. The VT60 has a native contrast ratio around 30 times greater than an IPS LCD and had a very good screen filter.

On 31/01/2019 at 3:57 PM, Tweaky said:

Basically YES, especially for watching sports and when gaming, a faster refresh rate is always a good thing

Not correct. Sport is shot at 50 or 60fps (US) and has great motion without any extra Hz.

Games are 60fps and cant use motion interpolation because of the increased lag it creates, so again no advantage in extra Hz.

There is no measurable difference in motion performance between properly engineered 100/120Hz and 200/240Hz TV's, its 90% marketing.

A quality 100/120Hz TV will outperform a no name 200/240Hz set, the quality of the motion interpolation system matters much more than the Hz. More Hz on its own does absolutely nothing so don't get sucked in by a number.

6 hours ago, Owen said:

The vast majority of  Panasonic Plasma TV's had VERY ordinary blacks and often terrible screen filters so performed very poorly under strong ambient light. However the VT60, and to a lesser extent the VT50 series are a whole differs kettle of fish. The VT60 has a native contrast ratio around 30 times greater than an IPS LCD and had a very good screen filter.

Mine was the cheaper TH-P60S60 but my mates I am pretty sure was the VT65. (could check as it is at his brothers house now)

Here is a pic of my Panasonic plasma from 2 years ago at night with the TV off and took one just now in the day of the new TV off.

You can notice the reflections from the glass panel is very strong and acts like a mirror.

Plasmas used glass it seems on the outside while the new TV's have some type of matt perspex? or something that has so so much less reflection.

Makes a huge difference in my room.

IMG_9538.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Edited by rocky500

Yes Plasma TV's have glass screens but only the cheaper or old models have no anti reflective coating and no screen filters either which block ambient light from illuminating the phosphor layer of the panel and degrading the black level.

All the high end LCD and OLED TV's I have seen have had glossy screens with an anti reflective coatings, not much different to a high end Plasma, its the same sort of treatment applied to camera lenses. They don't look like the matt screen on your TV and are MUCH more reflective.

If a camera lens had a surface like your TV you would get blurry pictures, its not a major issue with a TV's as it would be with a camera but you see where I am going.

LCD TV's have all manner of screen types over the years from full gloss to matt and everything in between, its got nothing to do with what the screen is made of but what is done to the surface. Full gloss and matt finish screens are cheap, anti reflective coatings are not.

If you don't have a room with reflection problems a glossy type screen provides a better picture than matt screen types IMHO due to less light refraction in the screen, it gives the picture more depth and clarity. Putting a good anti reflective coating on a gloss screen reduces (not eliminates) reflections without reducing the screens clarity.

On 02/02/2019 at 9:52 AM, rocky500 said:

I almost bought a different TV, but viewing angles won in the end, plus I saw it first hand at a mates place. Now I have it, I am impressed. Way better than expected in the black levels. I do not miss the Plasma at all.

I use Plex and Netflix, so watch movies and TV series on it.  

Love watching SciFi, and prefer this one over my previous Plasma. 

Maybe the LG you got a few years ago is poorer on the blacks and the newer IPS panels like this one are very much improved?

As I am impressed with it. :)

These pics don't show what its like in real life here. Seem very soft now I posted it. Just took them of live images, no pausing and hand held.

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0693.JPG

Just a quick update. Panasonics LCD range are rumored to be returning to VA panels after much negativity in response to the decision to switch to IPS in 2018. No news however about FALD in 2019. In the past Panasonic has utilised very good local dimming algorithyms in their edge lit models so the absence of FALD may not be a significant issue. To be contined.

3 hours ago, pc9 said:

Just a quick update. Panasonics LCD range are rumored to be returning to VA panels after much negativity in response to the decision to switch to IPS in 2018. No news however about FALD in 2019. In the past Panasonic has utilised very good local dimming algorithyms in their edge lit models so the absence of FALD may not be a significant issue. To be contined.

FALD ?

See here for video interview with Panasonic about their latest TVs....

https://www.avforums.com/news/video-panasonic-gz2000-pro-oled-and-more-launched-at-convention.15884

Yes, returned to VA panels, but no Full Array Local Dimming (FALD).

I expect more info will be available once the TVs are actually available.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Excellent call by Panasonic - demonstrates they haven't thrown in the towel regarding LCD LED tvs, which still have relevance for the budget conscious buyers.