Hi All, I am thinking of purchasing a Dragonfly Black or Red, latest versions, secondhand of course, I wish to use it mainly with my iPhone 8 plus and my Apple 2014 MacBook Pro, is it with it ? is it a great leap forward or is the improvement marginal ? what other Sac's would  suit better than the aforementioned Dragons ? powered rather than usb powered is on the table, especially for the MacBook Pro, budget is under $500, secondhand or new. Thanks.

Do you want portability? 

If not, the topping d50 is a bargain. 

I use a d50 fed by USB from my MacBook Pro / Tidal in a second system and it’s very good. I also used it in my main system for a few months and, while it didn’t have the same scale of my $2500 main dac, it certainly wasn’t embarassed by it. 

It uses a phone charger for power or you can spend a bit more on a better supply.

https://www.amazon.com.au/TOPPING-ES9038Q2M-DSD512-768KHz-Decoder/dp/B07BQTFWW1

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Digital Man said:

Hi All, Any thoughts on the Topping D50 ?

As I suggested above it’s an xcellent little dac and a bargain.

whats the rest of your system?

Edited by buddyev

Hi, The rest of my system ? well, I am building a new system and learning about going totally digital as well as going totally into music files, I have totally ditched ALL physical media, right across the board, so, I have now entered into a brave new world, I am currently having a valve amp made into a SET, from parts that I rescued from a vintage radiogram, I also rescued a Goodman's Audiom 60 from the same unit in great cosmetic condition and in full working order, if I find another, I will get them made into cabinets and partner them with the SET amp, I am learning and setting up a Aries Mini to fully access my ripped cd's from iTunes, which are in AIFF, using my iPhone 8 plus as the remote/controller.

I am also trying to improve the sound of my Mac Book pro 2014 with a day, hence this original post, I like what I am reading about the Dragon Red and the Topping D50, I would like the dac to have a headphone jack as well.

Edited by Digital Man

• 2 weeks later...