Best value way to add Bluetooth signal to existing DAC?

Hi there friends

I’m hoping you can help me out with my shift to digital!

I’ll shortly be adding a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 to my stereo setup, and I plan to shift to a digital source (rather than using the DSPeaker’s ADCs with my turntable).

I’m keen to add a Bluetooth streaming device - one that has an optical out - to feed into the DSPeaker. The DSPeaker will take on DSP and DAC duties.

What’s the best way to achieve as high a quality Bluetooth signal as possible? (I’m aware that Bluetooth is far from perfect in the grand digital scheme, but I’m committed to it for domestic reasons.)

There are obviously loads of bluetooth “receivers” out there for a pretty cheap price ($40-$100 on eBay/Amazon/etc).

There’s also a wide range of decent Bluetooth DACs (iFi nano ione, Arcam, etc) that have an optical out. However, given I’d be bypassing the internal DAC, this option seems like a poor use of money.

Ultimately I’m willing to spend a bit more if it means maximising the Bluetooth signal quality. But I’d love to hear your thoughts on whether that’s really worthwhile - or alternatively, whether you can recommend a quality Bluetooth receiver.

Super grateful for any advice!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Check out "Avantree Oasis Plus" (available on Amazon Australia). It does what you want. I'm using a couple of them to enable streaming from my phone (supports apt-x too) on some old non-bluetooth receivers using the optical out (also analogue out). Works well, and are easy to setup (so long as you read the docs). 

Cheers, ess.

• 1 month later...

Hi there - just reviving this thread as I'm in the same situation. 

I'm tossing up between the Avantree Oasis Plus BT 4.2 as recommended above as a transmitter  vs a Bludento receiver which is bluetooth 5.0 but not a transmitter and looks very similar to an audioengine. Both are in the same price range.  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/True-HiFi-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver-5-0-APTX-HD-CSR8675-Replace-Audioengine-B1/163473342953?epid=17028938151&hash=item260fc541e9:g:5icAAOSwcqxcCfRz&frcectupt=true

Wondering what you ended up picking OP? 

• Like 1

Actually  bought a Bludento  for a friend  It is  a good unit  (there is a couple of different models )  'compared to the audioengine  not a lot of difference  except price  under $100 landed 

Also have a Auris Blu  me  which is also very good 

Have tried with  external dacs not a lot of difference 

David 

Edited by david j

• 5 months later...

I was also looking for a Bluetooth receiver so decided to try the Bludento BLT-HD, after reading this thread. I have just hooked it up directly to my Rega brio amp and playing music from a little Cayin DAP and have to say that I am very happy. For $120 au its a great way to get Bluetooth into my system.