Upgrade

There are a lot of ex Naim owners on Devialet Chat. I've never heard Naim so I can't tell you what the difference is. I can tell you Devialet is very transparent and can sound great with a good source.

A mate of mine replaced his Naim pre/power set up (a much more advanced combo than yours) with a Perreaux 250i and has been in heaven ever since. The 250i has recently been replaced by the 255i. Not sure about current pricing but you might be able to get a deal on an as yet unsold 250i.

I can also highly recommend my Arcam FMJ A49, also now discontinued, as an alternative. Perhaps one of Melbourne's Arcam dealers has one left that they are keen to move on.

Edited by JukKluk2

I will be using my current CD player- Naim CDX along with a pair of Canton SL526 which I have just purchased. I am happy to buy used-better value for money, or new, but I dont want a tube system.

Thanks

what about these? in classified. it would leave me with $3k for preamp? I am assuming that these are in a different class to my Naim?

Item:  Mark Levinson 434 mono blocks
Price: 5200 obo

20190123_125847.thumb.jpg.2b5e4c4707d05eb59d8de258d1051f9c.jpg

Guest Eggcup The Daft

Tne speakers are a touch insensitive (85db/w/m quoted) and I suspect the frequency response figures (33-40kHz) quoted may be +/- 6dB.

You should allow for a fairly powerful amp, at least 100w/ch, and possibly allow part of your budget for a sub if you think these speakers are bass light (that's a room and personal thing, of course!).

Your Naim amps aren't up to the power requirement, from what I can see. I wouldn't write off going up the Naim tree if you liked the sound with your previous speakers, whatever they were - if you're looking for a better soundstage though, I'd agree it is time to jump.

Plenty of places in Melbourne to check out Vincent Audio, Eskay. Not a brand that's on everyone's radar but I reckon you could find a pre/power combo or integrated in their range to suit your Cantons.

As a suggestion, the SA-31mk preamp and SP-995 monoblocks could possibly give you what you're looking for.

Are you able to pack your speakers up and take them for demos?

Having been a Naim user for over 25 years and finally moving on I would recommend you contact @Snake to check out his Vitus.  I met him when I was Nap 250 and was impressed with how his gear was well looked after.  This would be a great amp.

I have a Lavardin IT but you need efficient speakers.

• Like 2

Having been a Naim user for over 25 years and finally moving on I would recommend you contact [mention=126795]Snake[/mention] to check out his Vitus.  I met him when I was Nap 250 and was impressed with how his gear was well looked after.  This would be a great amp.

I have a Lavardin IT but you need efficient speakers.

Having just bought one myself I can vouch for the quality of sound and value - these are impressive and powerful amps
AJ
  • Like 1

On 24/01/2019 at 8:20 PM, Pim said:

There are a lot of ex Naim owners on Devialet Chat. I've never heard Naim so I can't tell you what the difference is. I can tell you Devialet is very transparent and can sound great with a good source.

There's also a lot of people concerned enough about their Devailet's overheating. Also the customer support sounds a bit dodgy too. Naim,  not a fan they charge bucket loads for supposed power supply upgrades which are pretty basic linear's. 

On 24/01/2019 at 8:13 PM, Eskay said:

HI

What is a worthwhile upgrade from a Naim 152/155 pre power combo that does not cost the earth? I don't want to stay with Naim.

Maximum budget $8K.

Thoughts?

As you're in Melbourne, Eskay, you might like to pay a visit to Hugh Dean ( @AKSA ) in Rosanna and Iisten to one of his current power amps:

• SAKSA, at 85wpc (into 8 ohms), or
  • Maya, at 200wpc (into 8 ohms).

Then you would have to find a good preamp.

Many years ago (2000?) I took one of my Naim 250s over to Hugh's place as I was facing exactly your recapping issue.  We compared it against his first amp - the 'AKSA 55' - which killed it, in terms of SQ.  So I bought 2x 55w kits and 1x 100w kit, built them ... and then sold my 2x NAP250s and 1x NAP160.  Since then, I have had 2x AKSA upgrades - each one sounding better than the previous one.

Nowadays, he can supply fully built amps (if you're not a DIYer) - as well as amp modules that only require you to add the power transformer and do some wiring.

The AKSA contact details are here:

http://www.aksaonline.com/contact/contact.html

Andy

• Like 1

On 27/01/2019 at 5:04 PM, DEANO23 said:

There's also a lot of people concerned enough about their Devailet's overheating. Also the customer support sounds a bit dodgy too. Naim,  not a fan they charge bucket loads for supposed power supply upgrades which are pretty basic linear's. 

There's one guys here on SN who might actually have an overheating problem with his Devialet. There are thousands out there who don't understand that the case is a heat sink and are wrongly concerned. (I was one of them). Devialet give a 5 year warranty and so far I've not heard of anyone needing that for overheating. So disregard the 'overheating issue'. Customer support however, that's a bit of a hit and miss thing. Eventually though, they always seem to come to the party.

• Thanks 1

There's one guys here on SN who might actually have an overheating problem with his Devialet. There are thousands out there who don't understand that the case is a heat sink and are wrongly concerned. (I was one of them). Devialet give a 5 year warranty and so far I've not heard of anyone needing that for overheating. So disregard the 'overheating issue'. Customer support however, that's a bit of a hit and miss thing. Eventually though, they always seem to come to the party.
There was one guy who did end up getting a replacement under warranty that I'm aware of also there might be a misunderstanding but whose fault is that. Anyway we kinda hijacked his thread my apologies to the author.