The Song Game

as hard as i have tried i cannot think of a favorite album so i thought i would start this thread . its always good to see what others are listening to .

last night for me was

beastie boys. anthology record 4:- awesome:D

kraftwerk. minimum maximum record 1:- awesome:D

tangerine dream. encore record 1:-awesome:D

A pox on the heads of those who mentioned Smog and Bill Callahan in previous threads. Now I'm hurtling away on another collecting binge.

Last night listed to A River Ain't To Much To Love and Knock Knock both by Smog.

More cds and lps from him/them on the way then its onto Mr Callahan.

As a big fan of Will Oldham, Vic Chesnutt etc I dont know how I missed these recordings earlier.

I am also addicted to Bill Callahan at the moment, last night it was:

Bill Callahan, Sometimes I Wish...

Sufjan Stevens, Greetings from Michigan

And then I just put itunes on random, which always results in some very strange combinations... Bob Dylan followed by Cat Power (fair enough).. followed by Metronomy.. not such a good transition :D

Ilikecrumpets;99167 wrote:
Bob Marley - Uprising, Exodus

Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

The Sound - From The Lions Mouth

And various other stuff. I'm really enjoying my system at the mo, just can't get enough of it (thanks Paul Voigt)
:)

Ah, is that an upgrade / new component I detect there?? :)

Vinyl night with

Lucinda Williams (self titled)

Billy Bragg Workers Playtime

Springsteen Nebraska

Kruder & Dorfmeister DJ-Kicks

Ilikecrumpets;99167 wrote:
Bob Marley - Uprising, Exodus

Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

The Sound - From The Lions Mouth

And various other stuff. I'm really enjoying my system at the mo, just can't get enough of it (thanks Paul Voigt)

Boards Of Canada - Geogaddi is one of my favs, next to MHTRTC. (If anyone has it on vinyl please pm me).

aarond;99174 wrote:
Ah, is that an upgrade / new component I detect there??

Ah, well if you count the yummy Bel Canto dac/transport/power amp combo I have on 'loan' then yes. Although it's my humble home-made HiFi Fostex 206E equipped Voigt 'Vofo's' that are really turning me on - I'm hearing things I just shouldn't from a single driver speaker. Or maybe that's the real reason for the ever present grin on my mug:D

ps Newbie, the DJ Kicks stuff is terrific isn't it?

Tonight

Kimmie Rhodes- West Texas Heaven. 1996

Texas singer/writer who's been releasing records for around 20 years, lately on her own label.

West Texas Heaven is a little jewel featuring duets with Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Townes Van Zandt.

great to see so much varity.

last night was.

beastie boys. anthology record 3:-this sounds so good on vinyl!

pest. patpong 12inch:-motherf#%$%N tight

easystars. lonly hearts dub band:-if you like sgt peppers and dub this is a must have.

mike oldfield. crisis:-a guilty pleasure of mine:D

Guest Guest

I forgot to mention :

Iggy Pop - 'The Idiot' on vinyl (thanks Mr Pharmacist), and

Eddie Vedder - 'Into The Wild' (thanks Omegaspeedy).

Im amazed at the number of artists being listed that Ive never even heard of let alone listened to. I thought I had a broad spectrum of music in my collection but I guess that we all only scrape the 'tip of the iceberg'.

sammo;99221 wrote:
Im amazed at the number of artists being listed that Ive never even heard of let alone listened to. I thought I had a broad spectrum of music in my collection but I guess that we all only scrape the 'tip of the iceberg'.

I agree, it is quite daunting and exciting at the same time. So much to listen to, so little time! I usually buy one album at a time and take a week or so to digest and decide if I like it, but I've aquired around 25 new albums in the last two months, and it is really quite stressful!

webbed;99223 wrote:
ILikeCrumpets - good to see another "The Sound" fan. :eek:

Geez,I thought I was the only person who'd heard of them!

They should have been huge, coming out at the same time as U2, Echo & The Bunnymen etc but they failed to find a sizeable audience.

Luckily I have 2 albums on vinyl, "From The Lions Mouth' being the best of them and chock full of great tracks.

For those who like their dub to have a eastern flair, try Bill Laswell's Material or Praxis concept bands - it's deeply involving and ethereal stuff.

Listening to Future Sound Of London at the mo, From The Archives volumes 1 - 4.

Another heady electronic trip into the unknown...

To Top