Sign in to follow this  
mixdown

Pro audio power amp - anyone using one?

Keen to try class D pro amp such as Crown Audio XLS series (not for sub but 2 channel stereo). Has anyone tried it before?

And, May I ask one dummy question?

I have not touched pre/power separate but integrated amp only and I was told that turn on the gear in source -> pre -> power sequence and when turning off, do the reverse so power -> pre -> source. 

I saw some users of Class D power amp never turn it off but leave it on 24/7 basis since it takes so little voltage when it is not playing. 

If it is left on 24/7 basis for example, how do we turn off active preamp? I guess that passive preamp can be just turned the volume right down but not sure about active preamp without turning off power amp first. It is safe to ignore the sequence and just turn the volume right down and switch off active pre without turning off power amp?

Thank you in advance.

5 hours ago, Spider27 said:

Keen to try class D pro amp such as Crown Audio XLS series (not for sub but 2 channel stereo). Has anyone tried it before?

I have not touched pre/power separate but integrated amp only and I was told that turn on the gear in source -> pre -> power sequence and when turning off, do the reverse so power -> pre -> source. 

I saw some users of Class D power amp never turn it off but leave it on 24/7 basis since it takes so little voltage when it is not playing. 

If it is left on 24/7 basis for example, how do we turn off active preamp? I guess that passive preamp can be just turned the volume right down but not sure about active preamp without turning off power amp first. It is safe to ignore the sequence and just turn the volume right down and switch off active pre without turning off power amp?

Thank you in advance.

Keen to find out the same also....

On 25/01/2019 at 8:09 AM, mixdown said:

Would I be right in saying that the pre-amp has more effect on sound quality than the power amp?

Yes:thumb:

6 hours ago, Spider27 said:

That is correct!  :)

The reason is:

• when you turn on a source ... it may generate a transient.  But if the pre and power amp are turned off ... this transient will not cause a problem.
  • when you turn on a preamp ... it may generate a transient.  But if the power amp is turned off ... this transient will not cause a problem
  • so the reverse sequence holds when turning off components.

6 hours ago, Spider27 said:

I saw some users of Class D power amp never turn it off but leave it on 24/7 basis since it takes so little voltage (watts!) when it is not playing. 

Thank you in advance.

That is a good question.  :thumb:  Some 'normal' power amps (like Naim, for instance) are best left on all the time - so the question of turning off the preamp equally applies.

It depends on the preamp - some turn on and off without a 'thump' through the speakers.  So, in terms of whether it's good or bad to turn off a preamp whilst the power amp is still on, it depends entirely on the preamp.  If you get a 'thump' - probably not a good idea; if you don't - then there's no problem.

Andy

23 minutes ago, andyr said:

That is correct!  :)

The reason is:

• when you turn on a source ... it may generate a transient.  But if the pre and power amp are turned off ... this transient will not cause a problem.
  • when you turn on a preamp ... it may generate a transient.  But if the power amp is turned off ... this transient will not cause a problem
  • so the reverse sequence holds when turning off components.

That is a good question.  :thumb:  Some 'normal' power amps (like Naim, for instance) are best left on all the time - so the question of turning off the preamp equally applies.

It depends on the preamp - some turn on and off without a 'thump' through the speakers.  So, in terms of whether it's good or bad to turn off a preamp whilst the power amp is still on, it depends entirely on the preamp.  If you get a 'thump' - probably not a good idea; if you don't - then there's no problem.

Andy

Thank you so much, Andy. Now, understood.  :) 

I use two Crown XLS amps for bass drivers.

I have a Master/Slave power board such as below from Bunnings so they turn on/off automatically when the "Master" device is switched on/off.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/eco-solutions-6-way-master-slave-powerboard_p4331027

Edited by Satanica

5 minutes ago, Satanica said:

I have a Master/Slave power board such as below from Bunnings so they turn on/off automatically when the "Master" device is switched on/off.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/eco-solutions-6-way-master-slave-powerboard_p4331027

Great to know. Thank you. Have you also tried XLS amp not only for bass but as 2 channel stereo power amp?

Just now, Spider27 said:

Great to know. Thank you. Have you also tried XLS amp not only for bass but as 2 channel stereo power amp?

No, but I'd like to.

Just now, Satanica said:

No, but I'd like to.

If you ever do, do you mind sharing your impression? Love to hear your thoughts. :) 

1 minute ago, Spider27 said:

If you ever do, do you mind sharing your impression? Love to hear your thoughts. :) 

I've got a complicated active system so it's difficult.

I'd really like to try it at my mates place in place of his big NAD A/B class power amp.

On 13/02/2019 at 3:30 PM, Satanica said:

Do the fans of these come on in home applications and, if so, then are they audible?

On 31/08/2019 at 8:02 AM, zydeco said:

Do the fans of these come on in home applications and, if so, then are they audible?

Yes and yes but they are incredibly quiet and only come on when needed.

I've never actually heard them unless I get right up close.

Edited by Satanica