mixdown

Pro audio power amp - anyone using one?

Hi all

Looking for some collective wisdom from those who might have used a pro audio power amp (e.g. Crown, Phonic, etc) in a hi-fi system. I have one sitting in the garage that used to power the foldbacks for my band. 500wpc at VERY low THD and with 2 monster toroidal transformers..........

There is no reason why it wouldn't work well, some SNA members use pro amps. Try it and see how it sounds, that's the real proof.

some can be quite hard sounding 

there made for a specific  purpose 

and sound quality is quite low on the list 

but worth a try

id love to try a 

2mc

or a quested power amp

I use pro power amps, yamahas and brystons sound great. Same with hafler and crown. If they dont sound musical with speakers you could definitely use them for passive subs which would be amazing with that much power. If you use a pro power amp for subs make sure you have something to do frequency cut offs like an equalizer or minidsp

49 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

@Tubularbells. Runs some I believe.

After running a plethora of high end amps (both tube & solid state) i've settled on some 1990's vintage studio amps (Ashly), one for each channel and seriously couldn't be happier. Cheap as chips as pro audio guys no longer want them cos' there too heavy and audiophiles don't know of their existence (yet).

Some say pro audio gear was build for survival rather than sound quality but not these. My FET2001 Series 3 were the last of a dying breed where sound quality mattered as much as longevity. Massively overly built and  super easily accessible for servicing (none of this remove 100 screws to replace 1 cap crap) these are IMO giant killers.

Have a chat with the Ashly guru @knight2001dts and he'll set you straight.

20181103_183900.jpg

Edited by Tubularbells

After running a plethora of high end amps (both tube & solid state) i've settled on some 1990's vintage studio amps (Ashly), one for each channel and seriously couldn't be happier. Cheap as chips as pro audio guys no longer want them cos' there too heavy and audiophiles don't know of their existence (yet).

Some say pro audio gear was build for survival rather than sound quality but not these. My FET2001 Series 3 were the last of a dying breed where sound quality mattered as much as longevity. Massively overly built and  super easily accessible for servicing (none of this remove 100 screws to replace 1 cap crap) these are IMO giant killers.

Have a chat with the Ashly guru [mention=141054]knight2001dts[/mention] and he'll set you straight.

20181103_183900.thumb.jpg.c09a18f70990a6a428e3aded2030ef1c.jpg
These rarely come up in australia. Did you get them here or posted from the US?

Got them from the US with each amp costing under $500. Shippings a killer though due to their weight but still good vale when you see/hear what's on offer. @knight2001dts owns dozens of Ashly's and has done for many years so that's where I heard them first.

Would I be right in saying that the pre-amp has more effect on sound quality than the power amp?

24 minutes ago, mixdown said:

Would I be right in saying that the pre-amp has more effect on sound quality than the power amp?

No!  :lol:

Andy