March Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

@March Audio

Sorry If I missed it from your site, are all of your products available in sliver like the image of the HPA1 ?

And will the HPA1 have a balanced 4 pin headphone jack and balanced inputs ? its is hard to make out from the image.

Regards and congratulations on the products they look great.

Ray

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray H said:

@March Audio

Sorry If I missed it from your site, are all of your products available in sliver like the image of the HPA1 ?

And will the HPA1 have a balanced 4 pin headphone jack and balanced inputs ? its is hard to make out from the image.

Regards and congratulations on the products they look great.

Ray

Hi Ray

Although I did initially plan to offer the products in both black in silver it did not turn out to be economically viable.  I produced a first batch of dacs in black and silver and the interest in silver was virtually zero, so I made the decision just to manufacture in black. A one off silver unit could be produced but it will add significantly to the price.  The HPA1 3D render was in that finish just to make it clearer.

The HPA1 will not have a 4 pin headphone jack but is balanced input on combo XLR/TRS socket. Still compatible with single ended RCA through an adaptor cable. https://www.marchaudio.net.au/interconnect-cables

The reasoning behind not having a 4 pin headphone out is that the connector really isnt the major part of the issue.

The measurements and tests I performed comparing 3 and 4 pin connector demonstrated that yes the 3 pin has marginally worse crosstalk, but it really isnt significant.  It might go from -125dB to -115dB.  It just simply isnt a difference you will hear. so an additional 4 pin connector just adds cost and complication. The major issue is the headphone cable. That does need to be two separate grounds going to the drivers only commoned at jack plug.

hope that helps

Alan

Edited by March Audio
  • Like 1

On 09/02/2019 at 8:56 PM, AudioGeek said:

@March Audio no witch hunts around here! Although occassionaly we polish our pitch forks for scammers and flippers. I am keen to hear more about your speakers - presume fully active with digital xo? What dsp engine are you using? If that pic is your own build, they look very well made.

I'm actually interested to hear more about your speakers too. Active crossovers and AMT drivers sounds rather promising. Keen to read some reviews on them when available.

Not saying I'm looking for a pair of speakers (redoing crossovers in mine  presently), though never know when a mate or family member might ask for a recommendation in a given price range.

• Like 2

• Volunteer
20 minutes ago, MattyW said:

I'm actually interested to hear more about your speakers too. Active crossovers and AMT drivers sounds rather promising. Keen to read some reviews on them when available.

Not saying I'm looking for a pair of speakers (redoing crossovers in mine  presently), though never know when a mate or family member might ask for a recommendation in a given price range.

Yes, the speakers look very interesting indeed 

• Like 2

Topic under threat to be closed?  I hope not.  Although I'm not a potential purchaser of March Audio products (at least in the short term), I think we have been fortunate to have Alan sharing info on his products with us.  His willingness to answer questions and engage in discussion would be a huge assert to anyone considering purchasing his products. 

And as someone who enjoys Australian designed and manufactured equipment in my stereo, I'm always excited to hear of a new local audio producer delivering good quality sound at reasonable cost. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Topic under threat to be closed?  I hope not.  Although I'm not a potential purchaser of March Audio products (at least in the short term), I think we have been fortunate to have Alan sharing info on his products with us.  His willingness to answer questions and engage in discussion would be a huge assert to anyone considering purchasing his products. 

And as someone who enjoys Australian designed and manufactured equipment in my stereo, I'm always excited to hear of a new local audio producer delivering good quality sound at reasonable cost. 

Agreed. We've two few local vendors though those I'm aware of all make spectacular products, Gieseler Audio, Lenehan Audio, VAF, Aurealis Audio, Western Acoustics etc. They all appear to offer gear punches well above their price points.

I'll be keeping an eye on the March Audio range. If a small all in one amp, Bluetooth receiver, fibre and coax, and line in and remote were available that might be rather compelling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rantan said:

They certainly do and I would love the opportunity to hear them. May I enquire @March Audio what the expected RRP will be?

Thanks.

Im afraid it looks like I may disapoint a few people.  The speakers are a longer term project.  I designed them initially as a project for myself with no intention of manufacturing them, so there currently isnt a firm timeline.  They are also a bit challenging to translate into a product.  One of the reasons for their success is that they use linear phase FIR XOs.  This has to be done on a separate PC due to the processing requirements.  All the DSP platforms I looked at simply couldnt do the required number of filter taps.  It would be simple to release a version with minimum phase filters, though this somewhat defeats the object.

I will be talking about the design however when I get time :)

Edited by March Audio
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/02/2019 at 10:57 AM, MattyW said:

I'll be keeping an eye on the March Audio range. If a small all in one amp, Bluetooth receiver, fibre and coax, and line in and remote were available that might be rather compelling.

I already have an amp (or two) which does all of this (except for Bluetooth, which is achieved by an add -on module) and the icing on the cake is tone/balance controls which are also altered by remote control - the brand is Advance Acoustic.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...
One of the reasons for their success is that they use linear phase FIR XOs.  This has to be done on a separate PC due to the processing requirements.  All the DSP platforms I looked at simply couldnt do the required number of filter taps.  It would be simple to release a version with minimum phase filters, though this somewhat defeats the object.

The XO would run on RPi I think. I have run 2 channel BruteFIR on Pi’s at fixed rates like 192Khz for Acourate filters.

Aris

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/02/2019 at 6:52 PM, March Audio said:

The P701 is Nc500 based, due soon. 

Just wanted to correct this post.  The P701 is now available but it is actually now NC1200 based.  This module became available shortly after the original post

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I tried to reply to the original thread I spoke about this on, unfortunately it has been locked...so anyway...

As I mentioned before I grabbed one of Alan’s March Audio amps, the 125W one. (I have 4 ohm speakers). @March Audio

So here is my review of sorts....

The unit comes well packed and Alan kept me up to date of what was going on with it, build, burn in etc. I was a little surprised of the weight of the unit (4-5Kg?), coming from a big iron background where most amps are over 20kgs. The case is solid, as are all the connectors, it is a well-made bit of kit.  The most common comment I heard when showing friends and family was, ‘is that all coming from that little box?’

Now this is where Alan needs to probably stop reading…. Yes I know it has THD + N of 0.0015% and an Output Noise of 30uV and a Signal To Noise Ratio of 118 dB but I have absolutely no idea how these characteristics contribute/translate to what I am hearing…So look away Alan… ?

The first thing I noticed when listening to music was the control, it seems to just pick the music up by the scruff of the neck and play it, there are no errant sounds waffling about, everything is played almost regimental and with great precision. It sounds cleaner as a result - not clearer but cleaner there is no muddiness to the music – although the instruments sound timbrally the same. It is mainly on single note stringed instruments (Tears in Heaven, Girl from Ipanema) and female voices (Rebecca Pidgeon, Susan Wong, Kina Grannis) that you notice it most - they seem so much more precise and controlled. Maybe this is to do with the lower noise floor the amp exhibits?

The bass has become more prominent now as well, or I’d dialled it up on the speakers for the valve amp. (Genesis 501 with Servo Amps on the bass drivers) so I’ve been trying to dial that back in. Not sure if a by-product of the extra power the speakers now have? It is definitely more punchy on the bass. Bear in mind this is the baby amp of the range. The marimba on Ed Sheerans Shape of You is so tight now and the beat stops on a dime.

I am still coming to terms how such a small thing can do what it does so effortlessly and there virtually no heat coming off of it.  

One thing I thought was strange is that it has the left and right binding posts/inputs as if you are standing behind the unit. It also has quite a definite click and almost bonk noise when turning it on and off through the speakers, not sure if normal in these amps? (it is not loud but noticeable). The power switch takes a bit of getting used to as well. The branded USB Key with the manual on it is a nice touch, although at barely half a Mb, I am wondering if some test tone FLAC's or something could be put on the other 4Gb of space?

Am probably splitting hairs on those quibbles above, as I am very, very happy with it so far. I will give it a few weeks and hopefully build an audio memory, then switch back to the Valve amp and see how it fares.

IMG_3094.JPG

Edited by Rockford
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, astroboydivx1 said:

Does anyone have feedback on March Audio equipment over the last year?

I bought a pair of XLR cables a year ago from March Audio and I am happy with the cables. Earlier this year a bought a P252 stereo power amp and I am very happy with the product. On both occasions I found service very good, and March Audio easy to do business with.

I also sold my P122 so I could get the P252! I have received the P252 as well. Will be going around demoing some speakers with it in Brisbane soonish. I like the fact that the stereo amplifiers share the same, very portable case.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Suopermanni said:

I also sold my P122 so I could get the P252! I have received the P252 as well. Will be going around demoing some speakers with it in Brisbane soonish. I like the fact that the stereo amplifiers share the same, very portable case.

Would love to hear your impressions :popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...

While I haven't used any of Alan's equipment personally, I can say from my few dealings with him that he is a very knowledgeable and trustworthy person.

Also, If anyone is on the fence or hesitant about using Class-d amps in HiFi, you absolutely can't go wrong with Hypex based amplifiers like those that March Audio manufacture.

• 4 months later...

Hi @Rockford, I enjoyed reading your review of the March Audio amp. Do you still love it as much 1 year on?

It sounded like from your review that you were using a valve amp previously. Valve amps have typically produced more of a warm sound. Did you find the March Audio amp still had enough warmth?

Thanks for sharing

I've had a few PM's asking the same, and here is my response... I don't think it's 'warmer', colder or anything, just more detailed and clean. Bear in mind I am using a Weston Acoustics amp with hand wound trannies etc, so that is a very capable and detailed performer, very low noise floor. But the March Audio is just dead silence in the background, black like.

"The clicks and bump noise was related to my Roon server USB output (well it is just a std PC) there is still a click but no bump anymore. But it is only when I turn it on so no issue, I've got so many things in the chain PC --> DAC --> Amp --> Speaker onboard bass amp that could be the culprit I didn't really take it further.

Still really happy with it, using it right now. No-nonsense amp, just plays it how it sees it, no colouration, very accurate, clean and detailed.

Still get comments on the size of it, and 'thats all coming from that little thing?' It really does blow my mind how capable it is for it's size."

• Like 2