SOLD: FS: Whatmough 202 Lead lined Monitors with original stands

SOLD

Item: Whatmough 202 Lead lined Monitors
Price: $1250
Item Condition: For their age these are in excellent condition.
Reason for selling: Too many speakers I've been keeping them because I really do like them but I use my Spendor's 95% of the time.
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: These are well known in audiophile circles excellent speakers they are lovely the only thing I've done to them is replace the tweeters the old Focals had seen their day and I replaced/upgraded them with the closest Focals I could source those cost $600 alone bought from War Audio in Perth I still have the originals if someone wants them.

I've compared these to my Spendor's sitting next to them no they're not the same but they aren't far apart in sound quality but the Spendor's are worth about 5x more, hope the photo's tell the story cosmetically the grills are in great condition too no breaks or holes.

The stands are original and in good condition with spikes they are heavy thick steel they will hurt your back if you're not careful, the speakers are heavy solid beasts as well the construction/bracing is over the top its only pick up on these they would be a nightmare to post, because of this I'm open to possibly driving some distance in order to do a halfway drop

Man cave demo is welcome as well as reasonable offers.

Pictures:

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Edited by BATMAQN
  • Like 10

Wonderful speakers,simply enjoyable to listen to. Never heard them sounding anything but musical and these are top of the variety, lead lined with  polyglass woofers if memory serves. Beautiful cabinet work.

The stands alone would have cost half BATMAQN’s asking price when new. Whoever was building them at the time was making lots of variations  for all the hifi shops in Melbourne and they were serious chunks of metal.

Do yourself a favour.....

• Like 3

I thought only the 202i export was leadlined....:ermm:

Currently using my friends leadlined 202i's as rears sitting on same (shotfilled) high quality stands (which weigh a ton!!!!)........driven by an ME 850.

They like/need some grunt but can't handle toooo much!!!!

Anyway........GLWTS:)

Edited by JohnL

11 minutes ago, JohnL said:

I thought only the 202i export was leadlined....:ermm:

Currently using my friends leadlined 202i's as rears sitting on same (shotfilled) high quality stands (which weigh a ton!!!!)........driven by an ME 850.

They like/need some grunt but can't handle toooo much!!!!

Anyway........GLWTS:)

If my memory serves me right, the export model was a cheaper and non-leadlined. 202i leadline was part of Collin's signature series. 

Edit: I used to drive 201i with 850, max vol on my ME25 I could turn up was 10 o'clock. This level was more than loud enough to wake up the neighbours. ?

Edited by vinilink
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vinilink said:

If my memory serves me right, the export model was a cheaper and non-leadlined. 202i leadline was part of Collin's signature series. 

Edit: I used to drive 201i with 850, max vol on my ME25 I could turn up was 10 o'clock. This level was more than loud enough to wake up the neighbours. ?

I’m pretty sure the lead lined were listed in Stereophile recommended components in the late 80s/early 90s, so I guess they must have hit the US market?

1 hour ago, stereonut said:

I’m pretty sure the lead lined were listed in Stereophile recommended components in the late 80s/early 90s, so I guess they must have hit the US market?

I know Steve Hoffman used own a pair of 201i leadline.

• Like 1

Guest scumbag

These were great speakers. Colin knew his stuff! 

Can we get some xrays on the internals though? ?

Edited by scumbag

I have some 303 leadlined.

These 202's have the same family like cabinet/grill finish.

I have some 202's with these stands but have different cabinet/grill finish, possibly a different generation. These look better.

My 202's also had the tweeters replaced with Focals by the 2nd owner.

I had Whatmough refinish the cabinets and adjust the crossover for the new tweeters(Kee''s recommendation).

During this work we discovered my 202's were not leadlined  but bitumen lined. Who knew. The original owner thought they were leadlined as they are very heavy for their size.

Still their performance is exceptional(and as Whatmough said, not far behind the leadlined).

These appear to be the leadlined version like my 303s, same finish, same grill design.

Tempted. GLWTS.

Edited by woogie59
  • Like 1

These were the first serious speakers I bought, back around 1994. I still remember how good they sounded, i had export version with beautiful jarrah finish. They were paired with Arcam Delta 290 amp and I could listen all day without any fatigue, and speakers had real oomph. Still miss them!

GLWTS

6 hours ago, woogie59 said:

I have some 303 leadlined.

These 202's have the same family like cabinet/grill finish.

I have some 202's with these stands but have different cabinet/grill finish, possibly a different generation. These look better.

My 202's also had the tweeters replaced with Focals by the 2nd owner.

I had Whatmough refinish the cabinets and adjust the crossover for the new tweeters(Kee''s recommendation).

During this work we discovered my 202's were not leadlined  but bitumen lined. Who knew. The original owner thought they were leadlined as they are very heavy for their size.

Still their performance is exceptional(and as Whatmough said, not far behind the leadlined).

These appear to be the leadlined version like my 303s, same finish, same grill design.

Tempted. GLWTS.

The lead sheeting was actually sandwiched between layers of felt and bitumen so you were good.

BATMAQN,

Shame you are not in Melbourne as a friend of mine would have probably grabbed these!!!

Edited by JohnL
  • Thanks 1

John,

Interesting to know. Thankyou.

I will double check with Kee as it was she who advised me.  

Both the speaker and stands are quite heavy.

These stands have an angled top plate.  Higher at front dropping slightly to the rear.

Result, each speaker points slightly upward when facing the listener.

The 202's are so nice, great sound. 

Can't beat those 303's but for this price this is seriously good performance. 

3 hours ago, woogie59 said:

John,

Interesting to know. Thankyou.

I will double check with Kee as it was she who advised me.  

Both the speaker and stands are quite heavy.

These stands have an angled top plate.  Higher at front dropping slightly to the rear.

Result, each speaker points slightly upward when facing the listener.

The 202's are so nice, great sound. 

Can't beat those 303's but for this price this is seriously good performance. 

Angled top plate was for time alignment of tweeter and mid/bass at LP

I had 302i's and also 303's after working up from the Classic and Performance ranges

All beautifully designed by a man sadly missed.

BATMAQN is going to make someone very happy!!!!

Edited by JohnL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...