Brilliant new digital microscope

1 hour ago, rocl444 said:

it doesn't appear possible to use it on a cart that is mounted. is that correct?

Depends.  The first shot in my original post, is mounted on a cart only.  You can see it  sitting under the microscope on it's side.

But you can fit a headshell under the microscope even on end.  The height adjustment gives  heaps of clearance, but if the stylus is too far away from the microscope lens, you lose magnification.  With the headshell on it's side you can get a reasonable shot.  I took this one of a Stanton conical in an old Garrard headshell, which is wider than a normal one.

my_photo-2.jpg.1aea057a2d1b59fffaf089a029e9f7d2.jpg

If you angle headshell , you can get close too the stylus for a front on shot, like 

my_photo-3.jpg.3c5123c94a1daf04beb8aa5b24d5c3a4.jpg

Plus, if you are just viewing the stylus (not capturing an image,) you can have up to 5x digital zoom on the microscope screen

Edited by aussievintage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stump said:

If you remove it from the stand it should work manually..

Oh yeah, if you mean the cart is mounted on a tonearm with non-removeable headshell, yes, the microscope comes out of the stand - just the screen with the barrel on the end and you could set it up somehow.  Would be a bit awkward, size wise, and you need to keep it very still.

44 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

I was hoping it could be used to

assist with setting VTA

Just like the other cheap microscopes, if you can position it steadily where the stylus and record surface are in the picture, I am sure it will work.  The screen and microscope barrel unclamp from the stand quite easily.

3 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

@Stump do you have a link for where you bought that one>

I picked it up on ebay arrived in 5 days. $227 with discount. These are great for what they are designed for .They now have there own Andonstar software .That may be why Dino lite cost more given the software can do the Stylus setup.I will have to check out there software later. I dont think there is a big picture quality difference in this one to there more affordable AD106S .

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Andonstar-ADSM302-HDMI-Microscope-5inch-LCD-Digital-microscope-f-PCB-repair-tool/282407609875?hash=item41c0ce2613:g:fuMAAOSwc95a9EpM:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Andonstar-ADSM302-HDMI-Microscope-5inch-LCD-Digital-microscope-f-PCB-repair-tool/282407609875?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by Stump

18 minutes ago, Stump said:

I picked it up on ebay arrived in 5 days. $227 with discount. These are great for what they are designed for .They now have there own Andonstar software .That may be why Dino lite cost more given the software can do the Stylus setup.I will have to check out there software later. I dont think there is a big picture quality difference in this one to there more affordable AD106S .

I am not sure.  It seemed to me that that specs on the better models actually stated the sensor size, e.g.  3 megapixel, whereas the cheap 106 just said it was a high quality sensor, making me doubt it was really HD res.     Nevertheless, the onscreen picture is very sharp, even at 3x zoom.  It starts to lose clarity above that.

4 hours ago, A J said:

Here's a 2M Red 

PHO00004.JPG

PHO00007.JPG

1 hour ago, mloutfie said:

It actually weird that the diamond turns black in a certain light source angle

That's what I thought, Mahdie - given the Paratrace retip of my Stanton WOS CS100 looked like this:

1922374962_StantonWOSCS100AfterRetipat60x.thumb.jpg.22f3aa06bf5191c718d975c2deffc821.jpg

Andy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A J said:

Here's a 2M Red 

PHO00004.JPG

PHO00007.JPG

Good clarity and focus.  However, the aspect ratio looks a bit skinny horizontally I wasn't sure so  I put your image into Gimp and rescaled it to 1280x720 and I think it looked a bit better.  If I am wrong , apologies in advance.   This sometimes happens when the webcam driver is set to a  ratio that is different to the device - assuming you are capturing the photos on your PC.  Some Webcam programs allow you to alter what they display, others don't.  If they don't, you can rescale it later in post processing.

rescale.thumb.jpg.99a0bea32bdee2ae597910faa3795b44.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

I was always told that diamond styluses looked black under a microscope.  Mind you, that would have been talking about bonded tips.

Not always. You can get it see through but it is hard to do and need to be lighted on an certain angle. I've managed to get some see through shots. I think the led is too focused. I might try some light dispersion to see if it makes a difference (it should technically)Capture.JPG.acd7c9b76f765c70109c54ebb659f275.JPG149786974_WIN_20181108_11_02_47_Pro(2).jpg.b27fff1a77a8a095764d5f299df93e35.jpgWIN_20190108_22_30_43_Pro.thumb.jpg.e5daaef7962aead413d111987cf6d37b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Owen Y said:

200x magnification SHOULD be enough for stylus inspection - but would you say that there is sufficient resolution/magnification/depth of field to readily discern stylus wear, with these scopes?

Cheers, Owen

I would say 'No' - unless you've seen scores of styli under the microscope.

Andy

2 hours ago, Owen Y said:

200x magnification SHOULD be enough for stylus inspection - but would you say that there is sufficient resolution/magnification/depth of field to readily discern stylus wear, with these scopes?

Cheers, Owen

Dark Lantern blog - http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Depends on which model you buy and how bad the wear is.   With the cheapest model, the one I have, it is easy to see damaged or badly worn styluses or how dirty they are.      If you are trying to judge how many hours are left, maybe not, unless you play around with the lighting carefully.  That's the big advantage of the 'S' model, having those twin side lights.

• 1 month later...