Fetch Mighty HDMI

I have been experiencing problems with the Mighty box with the unit freezing up occasionally.

I then need to unplug it and re plug it again to reset it.

I have been advised by Fetch support that there were HDMI errors when they checked.

Given the unit has only one HDMI out  and I use Oppo to then route the video to the TV and audio to the pre amp.

Could be this is causing the problem?

There any HDMI splitter that I can connect directly to the Fetch Mighty that can send one connection to the TV directly and the Audio to the Preamp and therefore bypassing the Oppo altogether.

• Administrator

First stop would be to look at/check and try new HDMI cables I would imagine.

ALL the HDMI problems I have had over the years have related to the cable itself.

I recently had a picture problem with the Fetch Mighty in my Media Room.

As I checked the cable by attempting to remove it from the Mighty, the HDMI plug itself stayed in the box as I pulled on it and I had a raw cable dangling in my hand! And this was a name brand, not-entry level cable.

You could also try bypassing the Oppo for a few days with one cable straight to TV just to see if it solves the problem.

I've found the Fetch boxes 'mighty' reliable overall. Chances are it's your cables or the Oppo instream that is introducing a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Musician said:

I have been experiencing problems with the Mighty box with the unit freezing up occasionally.

I then need to unplug it and re plug it again to reset it.

I have been advised by Fetch support that there were HDMI errors when they checked.

Given the unit has only one HDMI out  and I use Oppo to then route the video to the TV and audio to the pre amp.

Could be this is causing the problem?

There any HDMI splitter that I can connect directly to the Fetch Mighty that can send one connection to the TV directly and the Audio to the Preamp and therefore bypassing the Oppo altogether.

which oppo are you using ? is it one of the new 203/205 series ? in case it is possible there that is the problem as the fetch hdmi handshaking hdcp isnt programmed properly. It shows up with problems with a lot of machines and TVs. re splitters you can check the ones I posted in the link below,

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/258902-fetch-mighty-aaaargh/?do=findComment&comment=4029744

all these you can buy check if helps and if doesnt just take back no questions asked :) 

note typically the spitter in this case isnt used as a splitter instead just as an inline device and all these inadvertently strip the hdcp so no issues in handshakes....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

5 minutes ago, kitschcamp said:

Yeah, a HDMI “splitter” is pretty much essential with the Mighty if you have HDCP problems. It’s the most reliable way to sort it.

Lets say you need to connect the video to the 4K TV and the audio to your preamp that takes HDMI input.

We definitely need a splitter than correct?

Also will it impact the video quality being sent out to the TV?

What is a good splitter to get?

Just now, Musician said:

Lets say you need to connect the video to the 4K TV and the audio to your preamp that takes HDMI input.

Also will it impact the video quality being sent out to the TV?

What is a good splitter to get?

I posted a link to answer a lot of your questions in my post above, lists ones you can try and return if have any bothers :)

the splitter in this case is use as a stripper to remove the effects of fetch buggy hdcp programming.

if running via pre amp it is better to run all through the pre amp with splitter before it. unless your pre amp is not 4k uhd capable.

as to impact on video it will be related to the type of splitter you use. if its only a 1080p one thats all it will pass. 

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

I posted a link to answer a lot of your questions in my post above, lists ones you can try and return if have any bothers :)

the splitter in this case is use as a stripper to remove the effects of fetch buggy hdcp programming.

if running via pre amp it is better to run all through the pre amp with splitter before it. unless your pre amp is not 4k uhd capable.

as to impact on video it will be related to the type of splitter you use. if its only a 1080p one thats all it will pass. 

My preamp is not 4K capable, so where to place the splitter now?

Just now, Musician said:

My preamp is not 4K capable, so where to place the splitter now?

I would still place before the pre amp. but you will need a 4k splitter if wanting to send to you tv. and you will need to actually use it as a splitter s send one to pre amp one to tv. there are some huge pitfalls with this approach. 1 what splitters will pass. 2 opportunity of audio and video going out of synch since you are splitting audio and video and both will be processed by different devices and not have each other to keep in sych. I woudl suggest buying splitters you can try and return without any issue as your approach might or might not work.

an alternative is devices like oppo which will accept hdmi and also split and will output both audio and video separately but we are looking at a very expensive splitter if dont want a player to go with it. otherwise time to update that pre amp... but its will cost you more than a splitter if can get aways with one that does the job.

check with @EZYHD as well as to splitters .... might have some first hand advice on what will work wont work.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Musician said:

Just to be clear, you don’t need to split the signal between the TV and the receiver, just place a splitter between the Mighty and the receiver. It’s dumb, yes, but it works. The splitter just, in this case, stops the HDCP problem. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

I would still place before the pre amp. but you will need a 4k splitter if wanting to send to you tv. and you will need to actually use it as a splitter s send one to pre amp one to tv. there are some huge pitfalls with this approach. 1 what splitters will pass. 2 opportunity of audio and video going out of synch since you are splitting audio and video and both will be processed by different devices and not have each other to keep in sych. I woudl suggest buying splitters you can try and return without any issue as your approach might or might not work.

an alternative is devices like oppo which will accept hdmi and also split and will output both audio and video separately but we are looking at a very expensive splitter if dont want a player to go with it. otherwise time to update that pre amp... but its will cost you more than a splitter if can get aways with one that does the job.

check with @EZYHD as well as to splitters .... might have some first hand advice on what will work wont work.

What if I just use the optical out from the Fetch TV, given all  audio output from Fetch is Dolby 5.1 would it make a difference?

14 minutes ago, Musician said:

What if I just use the optical out from the Fetch TV, given all  audio output from Fetch is Dolby 5.1 would it make a difference?

can certainly do that, and you are right thats quite adequate for audio out the fetch :) good thought ! unfortunately it does still open up to the chase of lip synch issue... but something can suck and see :) 

in this case I would have fetch > splitter > telly and also fetch > optical to amp wouldl work :)

• Like 1

They should sell the fetch with a splitter.

Fixed my hdmi issues when connecting the mighty to receiver.

You just need to make sure you have a second hdmi lead.

Btw I got mine from Jaycar.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2019 at 3:55 PM, betty boop said:

can certainly do that, and you are right thats quite adequate for audio out the fetch :) good thought ! unfortunately it does still open up to the chase of lip synch issue... but something can suck and see :) 

in this case I would have fetch > splitter > telly and also fetch > optical to amp wouldl work :)

Would that do Dolby 5.1?