Bitstream BTS-300 USB DAC AMP ***Cheap***

Guest Benjet

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Also got one of these.

I also have a Dragon Fly Red. First thing I noticed is that on mine, despite the user instruction and marketing saying the unit is capable of 24/192 my unit only shows up as 16/48 max.

I use Audivarna Plus on my Mac for playback  - when using the Bitstream 16/48 is the highest resolution possible. Plug the Dragon Fly in and its 24/96. I also then loaded a 24/96 file and its the same thing. 

I notice that on the instructions it says choose 'Bitstream' in system Prefs/Sound. Mine is just simply USB AUDIO DAC.

Before I contact the seller can anyone confirm that the unit is indeed capable of 24/192?

Thanks

I actually bought the OPs DFR and couldn’t be happier with it.

Got what I wanted, when I wanted it, for a very decent price. Didn’t have to wait close to a month for something cheap, flimsy albeit ridiculous value for money.

Nobody has brought up the issue of noise/jitter yet. For something worth all of an Aussie lobster (twenty bucks), I wouldn’t be surprised if this little dac reeks of it.

Happy to be proved wrong however.

4 hours ago, Iano said:

I actually bought the OPs DFR and couldn’t be happier with it.

Got what I wanted, when I wanted it, for a very decent price. Didn’t have to wait close to a month for something cheap, flimsy albeit ridiculous value for money.

Nobody has brought up the issue of noise/jitter yet. For something worth all of an Aussie lobster (twenty bucks), I wouldn’t be surprised if this little dac reeks of it.

Happy to be proved wrong however.

The DFR is a great performer, but to my ears the Bitstream sounded better with my HD-650 (hence the sale of the DFR). It was hard to justify having a device which costs over 18 times the value of the other and IMHO didn’t sound any better (even when listening to MQA content). As for the noise issue, I have three of these Bitstream devices and haven’t come across this issue (might be more prevalent with higher sensitivity headphones). At the end of the day, it’s performance to price ratio is off the charts and I would consider it a bargain.

I 100% agree with the build quality comment although it is adequate for reliable everyday use.

Glad you like the DFR, I hope it’s serving you well.

Hi Everyone,

Also got one of these.

I also have a Dragon Fly Red. First thing I noticed is that on mine, despite the user instruction and marketing saying the unit is capable of 24/192 my unit only shows up as 16/48 max.

I use Audivarna Plus on my Mac for playback  - when using the Bitstream 16/48 is the highest resolution possible. Plug the Dragon Fly in and its 24/96. I also then loaded a 24/96 file and its the same thing. 

I notice that on the instructions it says choose 'Bitstream' in system Prefs/Sound. Mine is just simply USB AUDIO DAC.

Before I contact the seller can anyone confirm that the unit is indeed capable of 24/192?

Thanks

I haven’t noticed that. A little misleading in the advertising. I checked on my pc and it’s 48kHz 16bit. Still sounds great for the bit rate/price.

34 minutes ago, dhatch said:

No denying it does sound good... especially at the price. I just thought i was maybe missing out on something with the advertised resolutions.

Good to know the actual spec of the unit. I will use it for mainly streaming music. 

Another useless fact - seems like the apple airport express used the same Burr Brown/TI chip... and the spec sheet suggests that the headphone output is also spdif, which is in line with the specs on the airport express, so i presume the bitstream might also offer up spdif output. Untested as yet.

On 24/02/2019 at 9:16 AM, dhatch said:

Perhaps answering my own question  - i looked up the product id from usb info in system preferences identifying it as a Burr Brown by TI model PCM270xC (spec sheet attached) which states 16 bit 48khz max.

sbfs036b.pdf

Probably explains why they are so cheap, a heap of returns due to false advertising. Still keen to get one for my workshop system 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Benjet
What a scam... Still haven't received mine yet

Let them know, I’ve bought plenty of products off these guys without problems.

• 1 month later...

Finally got it after months of waiting lol....

It sounds great and to my surprise.. It actually works with my Samsung Galaxy View where several other dac/amps do not work.

Great sounding little device! :)

Guest Benjet
Hi,

Would this device work well coming from my gigabyte x470 motherboard/pc USB to my Paradigm PW amp? Or would a topping D10 or Dragonfly 1.2 / black be better?

Cheers
Zane.

Should work fine

• 2 weeks later...