Bitstream BTS-300 USB DAC AMP ***Cheap***

Guest Benjet

Mine arrived today.  Sounds brilliant just through my MacBook.  I've ordered a lightning to micro usb adapter - will this work with my iPhone X?  I figured it would, but might just suck a bit of juice from the phone.

Like this - for $3.30, it's worth a shot.

image.png.6e47475c02c94b22b822d5264ba9b16c.png

Timos.

Edited by Timos
Added picture.

Mine arrived today.  Sounds brilliant just through my MacBook.  I've ordered a lightning to micro usb adapter - will this work with my iPhone X?  I figured it would, but might just suck a bit of juice from the phone.

Timos.

You’ll need the Apple USB 3 CCK. It will have to be supplied by an external power source through the CCK. At least that what I had to do for my iPhone Xs

16 minutes ago, Benjet said:

You’ll need the Apple USB 3 CCK. It will have to be supplied by an external power source through the CCK. At least that what I had to do for my iPhone Xs

No worries.  Did you try it with one of the little adapters that I've ordered?  

No worries.  Did you try it with one of the little adapters that I've ordered?  

No I haven’t, although I think that adapter will only allow you to charge from a micro USB. The CCK has some Apple magic inside it that makes it work and I believe it’s the only adapter that works. Correct me if I’m wrong.

32 minutes ago, Benjet said:

No I haven’t, although I think that adapter will only allow you to charge from a micro USB. The CCK has some Apple magic inside it that makes it work and I believe it’s the only adapter that works. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I'll see how I go when this little thing turns up!  I'll let you know.

• Like 1

Timos.

What cans are you using with the Bitstream?

2 hours ago, Benjet said:

What cans are you using with the Bitstream?

Get the lighting to USB with the charge port.  

In my experience only genuine Apple adapters work - only ever had issues with aftermarket stuff...

961FCEA2-9284-4688-AAA7-68AFBABE3D10.jpeg

Edited by Mat-with-one-t

I believe mine (yes, 2 of them. How can you only buy one!?) are due today according to tracking.....
I have a Dragonfly Red in regular use, so I’ll do a comparison.

Excitement builds..... What cans do you have?

13 hours ago, Benjet said:

Anymore of you guys had theirs delivered? Would like to take a consensus on these little devices

Haha! “Consensus” You’re in the wrong hobby ?

I wont get a chance to play with it until the weekend. I’ll post some thoughts when I do (I also have a DF red to compare to but I use that on my iPad so the BS won’t replace it, regardless of how good it is)

Caroma with in-wall cisterns.

Those cisterns are a bugger when the play up. Sound good though. How about “what kind of headphones do you have “?

18 minutes ago, Benjet said:

Those cisterns are a bugger when the play up. Sound good though. How about “what kind of headphones do you have “?

Tell me about it! The gongbangers who did plastering put a board directly over our sign, with fluro tape and a sign saying “cistern-no nails!!”, and, well, you can guess the rest.....

no fancy headphones - some HiFiman off massdrop, some Shure 535 iem’s....

Whilst I use the Dragonfly Red with those and my iPad for Netflix (sound great), I also sometimes run iPhone>camera connector>dragonfly >Gustard converter>rca to pre,

with nice results!

I bought 2 so one can go to a mate who has a large headphone collection, so will do a comparison with him and other USB (and bigger) dac’s

Mine arrived DOA. Unrecognised USB device on multiple computers with multiple cables.
Was cheap enough that I'm not too fussed, can't be bothered with the warranty claim.

Really, that’s not great [emoji854]let them know and they’ll send you another.

Just now, mexicoke68 said:

Just got mine today actually! Yet to test it out. Hopefully it works

Edit:  Just did a bit of testing. It works with iPhone if you connect it like this:

iPhone -> Lighning camera cable -> USB 2.0 Hub -> Bitstream DAC via USB to microUSB connection. 

Power requirement isn't a problem this way. Was just using it with my iPhone on 5% battery and worked a treat. Sounds more airy and open than connecting earphones through the lightning audio connector (which was pretty damn good for it's size anyway). Overall, probably the best value audio buy thus far for me. 

It take it that the hub is powered?

Just got mine today actually! Yet to test it out. Hopefully it works

Edit:  Just did a bit of testing. It works with iPhone if you connect it like this:

iPhone -> Lighning camera cable -> USB 2.0 Hub -> Bitstream DAC via USB to microUSB connection. 

Power requirement isn't a problem this way. Was just using it with my iPhone on 5% battery and worked a treat. Sounds more airy and open than connecting earphones through the lightning audio connector (which was pretty damn good for it's size anyway). Overall, probably the best value audio buy thus far for me. 

Edited by mexicoke68
  • Like 1