FS: ATC SCM40 MK2

Item: ATC SCM40 MK2
Price: $4000
Item Condition: SEE BELOW DESCRIPTION AND PICS
Reason for selling: USED AS REARS IN HT AND DEFINITELY NOT USED TO FULL POTENTIAL
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

I'm not really sure where to start with my extra info item description.   I guess the best place to start is the reason of 'crazy hifi obsession'.  I've been offered some alternative active ATC's.  Being completely honest with myself I'm not 100% sure that I want to sell this gear as it sounds so damned good.   I have a pair of active 40's which are the same as the passive 40's bar the inbuilt power amps.  Sure, the actives are better but that's logical given the advantages of completely active speakers.   

I've had the passive 40's for about four years now.  They were purchased locally at Sterephonic brand new.   Condition is good but one has a small amount of damage (see pics).   It's a long story but one fell forward when I was moving them and landed on an XLR cable.  There's was lots of swearing and then a long silent walk.  When I came back to them I decided then that they were too good to sell (they were for sale at the time) given their reduced worth with the damage.   So, since then they've done rear HT duties and get to make some noise about once a month, if that.   They come with all packaging and condition is as per the pics.  The damage can't be seen with the grill on, it's an indentation the size and shape of an XLR plug.   I looked at costs of another cabinet from ATC but they weren't keen on just one given the difficulty of matching colours and in the end it was going to be way too expensive.   Excellent speaker which I've tried with a variety of amps including a Primare A32, ME240, ME850, ME1500 and most recently an ATC SIA2-150.  They sounded great with each amp and probably respond best to the ATC integrated amp.  No surprise there as the are pretty well matched.

The 40's have been languishing as HT rears for a  while now.  They were my mains for a while and then when I bought some active 50's they moved to the back after the damage incident rendered them best kept.   I sold the 50's and went to some active 40's and the passives stayed up the back.   I bought the SIA2-150 with every intention of having two systems with the passives powered by the integrated and when I felt like it spinning the chair around, moving the passives to a better position and listening to them as an alternative to the actives.   That was working really well the first few times but in the end it was a hassle to move the chairs and speakers and I tended to just plonk myself down in the normal listening position and listened to the actives.

No doubt the active 40's are better than the passives, no surprise there at nearly double the price ATC's heritage of active speakers.   In isolation the passives are a fantastic speaker and will work well in any room being sealed.   Their specs indicate they don't go all that low but ATC measure in a massive factory with zero room effects.  Check out the measurements of their larger models, not all that impressive.   The proof's in the pudding though.

I'm selling as the 40's are wasted sitting up the back.  I've sold the SIA2-150 now so they'll be powered off a largish HT receiver which will do the job but given I watch about one movie a month I really don't think I need four grand's worth or rear speakers.

Demo's welcome but you'll need to bring an integrated or a power amp as I don't have anything to power them that's worth in two channel.

I have all packaging and docs.

Not sure if I even have a copy of the receipt but I'll contact Stereophonic and get the purchase date.  They'd have some warranty left as it is 6 years.

EDIT:  I've advertised these before but decided against selling them prior to getting any serious offers.  They were (and still are) just too good to let go but I've finally decided they are wasted as rears and not going to get used as mains.

Pictures:

DSC_5433.JPG

DSC_5434.JPG

DSC_5435.JPG

DSC_5436.JPG

DSC_5442.JPG

DSC_7185.JPG

DSC_7186.JPG

DSC_7189.JPG

DSC_7190.JPG

Edited by gat474
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, silencer13 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you post this ad before, or am I having some deja-vu?

Seem to recall a very similar ad not too long ago (with similar damage).

I've either got a whole lot of similar speakers with the same damage or these are the same pair.  

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I've either got a whole lot of similar speakers with the same damage or these are the same pair.  

haha! I thought I was having one of those dreams where you could see the future.  ?

GLWTS, great speakers! I would be first in line if they were the actives.