Hello from Maidstone UK.

Hi,

Graham - 65 year old gent here. Been into hifi since l was 17. Just coming to an end with my 'box swapping' - hopefully.............

Just found the best speakers I've had in my dedicated listening (Revel f208's). Absolutely amazing value for money. Now looking for a good 'giant killing' integrated to take me long into my retirement! 

Thanks Daryl, Anthony1 and wen,

Yes, KEF are still here in Maidstone. They still manufacture their Blade and Reference ranges in their factory.

I tried a pair of the Reference 3's a  few months ago but unfortunately with them being rear ported they didn't suit my room. I've had a couple of pairs each of the 105/2's and 107/2's (I used to like to box swap!!).

The Revel f208's with front ports and a trim control for the bass are just what my room needed. To wen - I'm going to try a Yamaha A-S2100 with them.

Cheers.

Edited by tinturkey

Hi Graham, probably completely unqualified to make a genuine recommendation but I have Paradigm Studio 100s v2 Reference driven by a Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp. The Paradigms have a higher sensitivity that your Revels (92 cf 88 I think) but I can say the MFs elevated the sound quality and control of the Paradigms to another level than my Denon AVR 4311. I find them a brilliant pairing and the MF a great product in terms of power, control, style, build quality (except for the remote) and connections and phono stage. MF was English and now owned by Project who seem to be great company who will look after and expand the MF lineup. Of course you can go up or down the line from the M6si but a Musical Fidelity may be worth a listen. Good luck. 

Hi Graham, my parents lived in Maidstone when I was borne (1954), and dad's family (Mitchells and Broads) were mostly from around the area. They owned a few pubs back in the old days, but sadly the pubs are no longer in the family.

Edit: whoops, and welcome to the forum ?

Edited by bob_m_54

Welcome Graham.

Maidstone's a lovely part of the World.   I have Nephews and an Uncle in Royal Tunbridge Wells so almost neighbors

Welcome to SNA and enjoy the knowledge here.   None of it is mine but feel free to take plenty from the others ?

Regards Cazzesman

Hi Graham @tinturkey. Welcome to the forum mate. My wife is from Portsmouth and been here about 20 years. Never managed to get rid of the accent haha. People ask if I'm English now, it's rubbed off on me.... If you are after a warm smooth sound have you considered the Exposure 5010 Pre/Power combo. Not cheap but might be worth an audition. Start a thread and see what others have to say. It's very friendly around here and some good knowledge. Start reading threads and you'll be hooked ;) 

Hi Graham and welcome, like most of the Anglo convicts down here we all trace back to the UK me included, great grandparents were farmers up in Yorkshire. Never been there but went to a friends wedding not far from you in Shipbourne, loved the area, not sure if it was anything to do with lineage but I felt at home, like I could live there. 

Sounds like you have had a bit of gear go through your room, I'm no help with your speaker match, I'm using Sansui and Exposure at the moment. 

Start a thread someone on here with have your speakers 

Hi Bob, cazzesman and Blakey,

Thanks for your welcomes. Unfortunately, Maidstone isn't as nice as it used to be - very busy and not being helped by a massive house building programme that will make things even worse. Luckily we live in a little village of 800 people to the south east of Maidstone itself BUT the new houses are creeping towards us. Of course all this is caused through the unspeakable word 'immigration'. At least 270,000 legals and many hundreds if not thousands illegals coming in every year. Anyway, each country has it's problems so better not dwell on them.....

I visited Australia with the Band of the Grenadier Guards (where l was a tuba player doubling on double bass) back in the late 80's. We played at the Melbourne tattoo, didn't quite make the Opera House in Sydney - the organisers stuck us in some theatre that usually had rock concerts on! We did a few gigs up in Cairns and Rockhampton as well. 26 years in that mob. Saw the world and got paid for it! Found the Aussies to be a really friendly lot especially in the RSL clubs.

Anyway back to hifi..........

See if you can find an Arcam FMJ A49 to try in your system. They've recently been discontinued so with luck you might find a dealer who is willing to do a good deal to remove one from his inventory. These days Arcam and Revel are stablemates at Harman Industries so you would be keeping things in the family.