Ohms - Speakers and Recievers

Hi Audioholics,

Currently looking at purchasing a Pioneer VSX LX 503 reciever to drive my 5.1.2 Jenson in wall speakers.

Now trying to understand Ohms...

Jenson speakers are rated at 140w RMS 6ohms and the pioneer reciever is 6 ohms 180w per channel.

Will this work? I previously have a Integra DRX 3 and I feel I'm not getting enough power out of my current speaker setup.

Advice or guidance appreciated.

Thanks.

Getting the impedance (Ohms) matched is important i.e. speaker impedance no lower than the receiver is rated to drive.

Are you trying to get louder output? If so the LX503 probably isn't going to make much difference.

Probably best to make sure you're getting the best out of what you have. Bass frequencies use the most power. What sub are you running? What's the LFE (sub) channel crossover set to? What frequency are your in-wall speakers rated down to? Room size? Open area or closed room?

If the crossover is set right (typically 80Hz if your speakers go that low), then next steps are probably a better sub and a power amp (e.g. a used Elektra) that can actually put out it's rated power with all channels drive,n rather than the BS power numbers many receivers quote, which can only be achieved with one channel at a time.

• Like 1

Getting the impedance (Ohms) matched is important i.e. speaker impedance no lower than the receiver is rated to drive.

Are you trying to get louder output? If so the LX503 probably isn't going to make much difference.

Probably best to make sure you're getting the best out of what you have. Bass frequencies use the most power. What sub are you running? What's the LFE (sub) channel crossover set to? What frequency are your in-wall speakers rated down to? Room size? Open area or closed room?

If the crossover is set right (typically 80Hz if your speakers go that low), then next steps are probably a better sub and a power amp (e.g. a used Elektra) that can actually put out it's rated power with all channels drive,n rather than the BS power numbers many receivers quote, which can only be achieved with one channel at a time.

Okay,

Crossovers are as follows:

Subwoofer - Jenson x165 set to 120hz crossover and plays down to 30hz (claims)

Jenson 303/202/404 Left/Right/Centre/atmos and rears set to 100hz crossover - 6ohm speakers. 40hz to 21khz.

Room is closed off and 6mx4m

I feel as though the clarity and loudness is not at it's best and have played around with frequency response at 80hz (THX)

Should I be matching 6ohms recievers to 6ohms speakers? Or 6ohms speakers with higher/lower ohms.

Sorry not to familiar with the ohms side if things.

Thanks.

OK, the room equalisation on the Integra is very basic (so time alignment of the LFE frequencies with the rest could be problematic), so important not to overlap the crossover ranges for the sub and remaining speakers in the Integra's settings. Try 100Hz for both (leave the frequency range on the back of the sub well above 100Hz).

Try bumping the level of the centre speaker up a couple of dB in the Integra's settings. This may improve the clarity of vocals.

Your receiver should be rated to deal with impedances lower or equal to the impedance of your speakers i.e. a receiver rated for 4 Ohm impedance is fine with 6 Ohm speakers. A receiver rated for 6 Ohm impedances may go into protection and/or damage itself and speakers if used with 4 Ohm speakers.

If you're not happy with the above tweaks, I'd still stand by my previous suggestions - invest in a better sub like a PSA S1500 or one in the SVS range. Next step after that I'd still suggest a used Elektra power amp connected to the pre-outs on your Integra.

Edited by Quark