Fetch TV Mighty question

Yes. I have one as part of my Optus subscription but you can use it as a media and streaming device as well as to receive FTA channels. PVR functions and streaming services such as Netflix, Stan and Youtube work well. My only criticism (wich may not concern you) is that the linear TV channels dont seem to upscale properly on a 4K resolution setting.

Actually, you do have to register it on the Fetch website during installation, so you can enter the fetch ID number. From memory it cost $1.00 to register. But you don't have to add any packages if you don't want to. They will offer you a free movie though.

Mine is a non ISP box, and I bought a non-ISP mini , that I installed yesterday. To ad the mini, I made sure the original owner had not bought it as part of an ISP bundle, and that they had cancelled their Fetch registration of that box. Fetch assigned a new number to the box to, not the same number that the original owner had.

I don't use any of the paid subscriptions on my Fetch TV, only the free ones (catchup etc). I mainly just use it as a PVR, which works very well.

3 hours ago, shogo33 said:

Can you hook up one without signing up to Fetch TV just to use it as a PVR to record FTA tv

No. Whether you buy your fetch outright or get though your ISP you need to sign up for it to work.  But t's only  $1/yr if you don't get any of the packages.    It also needs an internet connection,  even for FTA TV   (you may be able to watch without internet but I think the guide and PVR functions don't work).

46 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

They will offer you a free movie though.

Yep,  and you also get access the 'movie box'  which has a selection of 30 free movies at any one time.     Not the latest releases but usually a few decent ones.  

Edited by manchu

4 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

I thought it was juts $1, one time.    Are they actually charging me $1 every year!??!?!?

So did I, until I noticed another $1 charge recently.     I’m not sure tbh. 

Hi ShoGo33,

I have had a Fetch Mighty for some time now after a number of years happily using a Tivo until that brands lamentable demise in this country.  I am very happy with the Fetch and have just ordered a Mini for the bedroom TV from Optus so that I can combine the functions from both.  Apart from the usual issues with PVR's (occasional lockups etc.) it has been trouble free motoring.

Cheers

9 hours ago, manchu said:

So did I, until I noticed another $1 charge recently.     I’m not sure tbh. 

From Fetch website: https://www.fetchtv.com.au/packages

Retail customers: Buy the Fetch box for $449 RRP and pay a $1 one-off activation fee. There is no ongoing monthly subscription for the Starter Pack. *Movie Box is an extra $1/month for retail customers.

• Like 1

My only complaint with my Fetch TV Mighty, is they use their own TV Guide data, and it doesn't give the year or cast of the movies shown. Not a big deal most of the time, but if you can't remember if you've seen the movie before, or if there are a couple of different releases of the movie and you want to record a particular one, then it isn't much help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

My only complaint with my Fetch TV Mighty, is they use their own TV Guide data, and it doesn't give the year or cast of the movies shown. Not a big deal most of the time, but if you can't remember if you've seen the movie before, or if there are a couple of different releases of the movie and you want to record a particular one, then it isn't much help.

Same, since moving from Tivo.....  oh, I'll just press info to see "Movie (Year)" ..... nope.    Does the vanilla OTA data normally have this (I didn't think it did).

On 18/01/2019 at 4:38 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Same, since moving from Tivo.....  oh, I'll just press info to see "Movie (Year)" ..... nope.    Does the vanilla OTA data normally have this (I didn't think it did).

does OTA = Off The Air?

If so, this is the only movie I have watched apart from catch up, which is whatever the catchup site has (I think)

IT

This is the older It

Stephen King's It

9 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

over the air .... ie. the program guide data that is encoded into the broadcast.

Ah OK, that would be FTA (Free to Air)  ;) No, they use their own data from their website. You get the same as what is on here

TV Guide

Scroll to a movie and check out the description.

Edit: yes, sorry, rereading your post, I get what you mean.. guide transmitted over the air. But no they don't LOL.

Edited by bob_m_54

News just in today... Well on the weekend actually!

I had a Fetch Mini delivered on Friday so that I could utilise Multiroom (one of my sons has the same setup which works beautifully).

However I wasn't sent an Activation code (required to set up and use the device) so I had to go on line to get it.  Once this was done I continued to set it up. Okay so far.

Anyway the long and short of it neither Fetch could see the other.

Note:

They are both on the same network (ip range only changes with the last number).

They are both set with the Multiroom tick box... well ticked!

Both Fetch's are on my NBN account.

I reset them both.

I turned off everything (modem, router, boxes etc.) and restarted them.

No go, so I rang Optus.

After being moved between departments I was put onto a Tech Engineer who told me that my system will not work at the moment and I need to wait a month then ring again!

You can imagine the phone call deteriorated from then on, without losing my cool I did question as to why they sold me the Mini knowing I wanted to utilise multiroom.  There wasn't an answer really.  I also questioned why I needed to contact them, not the other way around, to which the reply was that 'we don't know when it will be fixed', to which I still said why can't you let me know then?

I also said I don't expect to be charged until this can be fixed, to which the tech agreed.

Anyway since then I have been trying to get onto 'text talk" with them, but the system says they are too busy 'at this moment'.

Has anyone else experienced this particular issue or is it just something with my account at this time as I also cannot access my account page at the moment, I can log in just not view my account.

Unhappy to say the least.

• Administrator

Wow, that's not cool.

As Optus is obviously your ISP, both boxes need to be supplied by Optus to work with multiroom. I assume they were?

Mine are not Optus supplied boxes, but I mistakingly purchased a Mighty second hand from eBay before knowing this and it was an ex-Optus box (which I now know are not allowed to be sold as they remain the property of Optus). It would not work in our Fetch multi-room system as a result.

not sure on mini, but curiously our non optus fetch mighty at my dads place suddenly after a recent update could even see our recordings from the fetch at our place. which he didnt want. so turned off for him. 

I'll check our optus and non optus fetch at home on same network and see if can work off each other. there is a mutiroom function to turn on apart from that I am not sure much else to do :)

ps optus support is hopeless id never ring them if had a problem as do get shunted around. their online chat is far better and with less of a wait. I also have telstra for work mobile and data and sorry to say they arent much better ! 

@Linolad

Did you go into Manage/settings/multiroom/options - and tick "enable multiroom"  The fetch will then search for other boxes. I think this will work from either box also.

Oops: it seems you did that already...

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marc said:

Wow, that's not cool.

As Optus is obviously your ISP, both boxes need to be supplied by Optus to work with multiroom. I assume they were?

Mine are not Optus supplied boxes, but I mistakingly purchased a Mighty second hand from eBay before knowing this and it was an ex-Optus box (which I now know are not allowed to be sold as they remain the property of Optus). It would not work in our Fetch multi-room system as a result.

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

not sure on mini, but curiously our non optus fetch mighty at my dads place suddenly after a recent update could even see our recordings from the fetch at our place. which he didnt want. so turned off for him. 

I'll check our optus and non optus fetch at home on same network and see if can work off each other. there is a mutiroom function to turn on apart from that I am not sure much else to do :)

ps optus support is hopeless id never ring them if had a problem as do get shunted around. their online chat is far better and with less of a wait. I also have telstra for work mobile and data and sorry to say they arent much better ! 

Thanks Guys,

Firstly Marc, yes they are both Optus supplied devices (which my sons are as well).

Secondly BB, I agree with you as I normally start with online chat and escalate as required!  Even online chat appears to be extremely slow at the moment.

I will update once I have further info from Optus currently I can access netflix and some childrens programs on the Mini only.

Cheers

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

@Linolad

Did you go into Manage/settings/multiroom/options - and tick "enable multiroom"  The fetch will then search for other boxes. I think this will work from either box also.

Oops: it seems you did that already...

Thanks Bob,

Yes I did do that, but thanks for the help from someone about the same age as me!

Regards

• Haha 1

Thank you all for your help/feedback.  I got myself a new Mighty yesterday, purchased outright from JBHifi.  Quite easy to setup and go through the process of registration etc.

Something i noticed that, although you could set up the resolution to whatever one's TV supports, i noticed that it had an anti-aliasing effect (smoothing) on whatever that was shown.  Is this normal?  If it is, i cant seem to find a menu option to turn this off..

I tested out the reception signal and for each channel it was full bars, no drop outs at all.  My tv isnt new, but its full HD 1080p panasonic plasma.

Hi ShoGo33,

I hadn't noticed any particular smoothing on my Mighty in 18 months use.  In fact I judged the PQ was much better than the Tivo I has been using.  I think in the years we have had digital TV however most of us have put up with the numerous digital artifacts pushed out by the content provider.  I also have a full HD 1080P Pana Plasma as well  and have everything 'helpful' on that turned down or off (sharpness, etc) to reduce any motion artifacts to an acceptable minimum. 

Cheers

37 minutes ago, Linolad said:

Hi ShoGo33,

I hadn't noticed any particular smoothing on my Mighty in 18 months use.  In fact I judged the PQ was much better than the Tivo I has been using.  I think in the years we have had digital TV however most of us have put up with the numerous digital artifacts pushed out by the content provider.  I also have a full HD 1080P Pana Plasma as well  and have everything 'helpful' on that turned down or off (sharpness, etc) to reduce any motion artifacts to an acceptable minimum. 

Cheers

I agree I saw a step improvement with the fetch over tivo I had prior.

I run the fetch on 1080p output to suit my 1080p plasma seems to work. also feeds our projector for larger screen

but yes its very much source dependant. and we are very much bit starved in this country !! sadly...they are just cramming more and more channels ... most of them home shopping and rubbish in a limited bandwidth... what else will be end result ! 

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I agree I saw a step improvement with the fetch over tivo I had prior.

I run the fetch on 1080p output to suit my 1080p plasma seems to work. also feeds our projector for larger screen

but yes its very much source dependant. and we are very much bit starved in this country !! sadly...they are just cramming more and more channels ... most of them home shopping and rubbish in a limited bandwidth... what else will be end result ! 

I also feed a projector from the same output as well. As the old IT maxim states, 'Garbage in Garbage out', although to be fair a lot of program material from the Fetch looks excellent (particularly some of the recent Netflix material).