TV Viewing Angles : how important?

How important is your TV's viewing angles?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many TVs have a published viewing angle but this is largely a manufacturer's interpretation. There is however an interesting independent measure of TV viewing angles here:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

The article has a good explanation of viewing angles and what to look for.  It is a pity that Panasonic is no longer selling in USA; otherwise, the measurements would be even more useful here.

For many people, the viewing angle is not important because they sit in front of the TV.  For others, and I suspect a smaller minority, viewing angle is as important as other factors.  So how important is a TV's viewing angle when you buy a TV?  Please vote and post your thoughts.

Currently own a 5 year old Panasonic Plasma who has excellent viewing angles.   Am investigating whether to upgrade to a 75" TV.  However, the 77" OLEDs, with good viewing angles are way, way over budget.  Reasonable priced 75" LED TVs tend to be IPS panels with better viewing angles but poorer blacks, contrast compared with VA panels.  

Voted viewing angle as important in poll. 

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

VERY important for us. we have seating directly in front a 3 seater couch but also seating to sides. also couch.  this is not a concern for our pioneer plasma or our projector which can view at pretty much side on ! 

our non IPS sharp lcd in bedroom setup you can notice the drop off whether lying in bed dead centre vs if even move either side. ! 

wiht LCD (we dont have LED TVs yet, we might with micro LED) you either give up viewing angle or contrast. I wouldn't give up either for our main viewing area. OLED would be only choice at present. OLED doesnt have to be way over budget just buy on sale they are quite heavily reduced as all TVs are regularly ! 

75" is a larger size for a telly consider in room whether it will overwhelm the space. a 65" might be more appropriate which will drop price significantly and open choices. personally I think way prices of TVs drop I wouldnt invest in a 77" telly. its just too much and will see a big drop. a better option for us, if can fit in ... is a projector screen that drops in front of the telly. why we are happy to keep using our 50" telly for every day TV. and drop a screen down front of it for larger screen experience. 

depending on size screen go for can end up with a screen size that is not even a possibility as a telly or way over top  in pricing. anyways something to consider. though I will say I had to do a bit to my room to adapt to a projector but its been a hugely worthwhile experience over the years. the other thing a projector will bring is 3D which is suddenly a room filling experience that no telly can encapsulate :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Currently own a 5 year old Panasonic Plasma who has excellent viewing angles.   Am investigating whether to upgrade to a 75" TV.  However, the 77" OLEDs, with good viewing angles are way, way over budget.  Reasonable priced 75" LED TVs tend to be IPS panels with better viewing angles but poorer blacks, contrast compared with VA panels.  

Voted viewing angle as important in poll. 

Plenty of reasonably priced LCD TVs are available with VA panels. I own a 2017 Samsung MU7000 75", purchased for $3200 and am extreemly happy with it. Off axis viewing is fine to about 30 deg and reasonable to about 50 deg. Hisense and TCL also use VA panels also and can be purchased at buget prices. I would purchase Hisense in a heartbeat over LG, lower end Sony or Panasonic LCDs with IPS panels. IMHO the viewing angle issue is largely an invention of the OLED lobby to steer the consumer towards that tecnology. 

49 minutes ago, pc9 said:

IMHO the viewing angle issue is largely an invention of the OLED lobby to steer the consumer towards that tecnology. 

Not sure I agree with that statement I have noticed the viewing angle of non ips lcd long before OLED came along. It’s long been an issue and was case even in plasma days. It’s just that OLED seems to have stepped in where plasma left off hence the comparison 

micro led will come though likely at cost hopefully bringing the contrast and without viewing angle issues :)

• Like 1

viewing angle is an issue with VA panel usually over 45 deg but who is watching and enjoying movie in such angles? of course if Snoop is planning to watch it over 30 deg angles and would like to enjoy it same way as OLED than I would discard all the VA panels except top Samsung model costing crazy money in 75", on the other hand IPS is simply incomparable in picture quality at any angle so I would discard it even prior to VA panel

as suggested above Hisense has excellent VA panels for reasonable money

I don't watch TV seriously if I can't sit <30 deg so no issue for me

and I fully agree with Al, I wouldn't buy anything bigger than 65", not only because of investment in tech but mainly because of inconsistency in panel quality where performance at angles is the least unpleasant aspect, in such sizes it's harder to produce panel artefact free, a lot is written around light bleeding, black crash, white and grey scale imbalance across the screen, dirty screen effect etc... 

• Like 1

My Panasonic EX780a doesn't have a very wide viewing angle, actually you notice picture degradation with as little as 20 degrees angle, but thankfully it is easy to swivel on it's base if I want to watch the news etc while cooking dinner.

I would be a concern if I had a large household and I knew not everybody was getting a good viewing experience.

Not all TV's suffer from it as bad as mine, but since I don't really NEED a screen with a wide viewing angle, it doesn't really bother me.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2019 at 1:53 PM, Tweaky said:

My Panasonic EX780a doesn't have a very wide viewing angle, actually you notice picture degradation with as little as 20 degrees angle, but thankfully it is easy to swivel on it's base if I want to watch the news etc while cooking dinner.

That could be an option of using a swivel base. However, 20 degrees may not be enough if I have a few people over. :sad: 

On 18/01/2019 at 7:36 AM, kukynas said:

viewing angle is an issue with VA panel usually over 45 deg but who is watching and enjoying movie in such angles? 

Not sure 45 deg is correct?  With people over, some spill over to another couch which is 45 plus degrees

On 17/01/2019 at 2:12 PM, pc9 said:

Plenty of reasonably priced LCD TVs are available with VA panels. I own a 2017 Samsung MU7000 75", purchased for $3200 and am extreemly happy with it. Off axis viewing is fine to about 30 deg and reasonable to about 50 deg. 

Again, will be delighted if I could find a VA panel which can do reasonable at 50 deg.

On 17/01/2019 at 11:37 AM, betty boop said:

a better option for us, if can fit in ... is a projector screen that drops in front of the telly. why we are happy to keep using our 50" telly for every day TV. and drop a screen down front of it for larger screen experience. 

No go as far as WAF is concerned.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:05 AM, Snoopy8 said:

Not sure 45 deg is correct?  With people over, some spill over to another couch which is 45 plus degrees

well, It will be anywhere above 20-30 deg. but different brand suffer differently and somewhere between 40-50 deg all of them start struggle heavily either with colors or brightness or both, just check TV you are interested in and see how it handle angles...