Panasonic GZ2000 OLED Gets Dolby Vision! It's World's 1st TV to Support DV & HDR10+

according to Vincent at HDTV test, (he is VERY excited about this) this is a very significant TV in being THE first to support both DV and HDR10+ ( I always thought LG supported both). But anyways it appears the beta v VHS the video formats has been busted in this case. Panasonic has already supported both DV and HDR10+ in their new 9000 uhd player. Finally have a TV that supports both.

so Finally rather than being a beta v VHS battle. now we will have more a situation like in audio formats with Dolby vs DTS with makers hopefully supporting both video formats as well in due course.

as Vincent says this thing will now be HOT property. Panasonic was already declared in shoots outs by HDTV to give the most accurate colours, intact quite accurate out of box anyways. 

be interesting when it is released in AU and for how much....hopefully pana not running aways too much with this set at too much of a premium ! 

ps its up firing atmos speakers stuck to back of the telly is an interesting feature. also good to understand its hdmi 2.1 support which is really limited to latency only with hooking upto x box one x at this stage. something to be wary about hdmi 2.1 where makers will only support certain features as they are totally allowed to do within the spec.

10 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Looks nice. I need to update one of our screens soon, will keep an eye on this .

Whats the issue with xbox and hdmi 2.1?

IF I had to replace our telly(ie it died!), suspect this would be top of list as well. 

not so much issue. just a limitation with implementation re hdmi 2.1 and reminder that just because something is hdmi 2.1 doesnt mean it will have ALL features that come with hdmi 2.1 enabled. ie in this case only has latency mode. though am sure we will hear more on this.

hdmi org has always said that while something might have a certain spec hdmi chipset manufactures are not under compulsion to enable/use all features that a chip set might support :)

• Like 1

I have two screens, both over 8 yrs old. A 43inch samsung lcd which still works fine and a 50inch panasonic plasma which is slowly dying. I liked the samsung frame concept, but cant seem to go past oled - I find the image quality to be amazing wherever I see it.

• Like 1

I'm waiting to read about Panasonic EZ / FZ owners asking for a retrospective Dolby Vision update..especially given the promised widespread availability of suitable content is yet to materialise.

29 minutes ago, Seak said:

I'm waiting to read about Panasonic EZ / FZ owners asking for a retrospective Dolby Vision update..especially given the promised widespread availability of suitable content is yet to materialise.

I'm sure they'll ask but whether can be made available / implemented is another thing....

according to Vincent at HDTV test, (he is VERY excited about this) this is a very significant TV in being THE first to support both DV and HDR10+ ( I always thought LG supported both). But anyways it appears the beta v VHS the video formats has been busted in this case. Panasonic has already supported both DV and HDR10+ in their new 9000 uhd player. Finally have a TV that supports both.

Vincent is making the distinction between HDR10 and 10+ Al ; he is correct ; the lgs handle the fixed metadata version but not the 10+ variable metadata type . They prefer their own proprietary dsp to emulate hdr10+ … Theres an obvious reason for this sadly as HDR10+ is the brainchild of the enemy - Samsung and it wouldn't be a good look needless to say :frantics:

That's why Panasonics move is to be applauded as it puts pressure on the one eyed ime right opposition :thumb:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cwt said:

Vincent is making the distinction between HDR10 and 10+ Al ; he is correct ; the lgs handle the fixed metadata version but not the 10+ variable metadata type . They prefer their own proprietary dsp to emulate hdr10+ … Theres an obvious reason for this sadly as HDR10+ is the brainchild of the enemy - Samsung and it wouldn't be a good look needless to say :frantics:

That's why Panasonics move is to be applauded as it puts pressure on the one eyed ime right opposition :thumb:

ah I see, thanks for the heads up CWT, yep that wouldnt be a good thing their emulated cooked up hdr10+ :D  I see why vincent is right in that aspect. indeed I can see why he is right too. definitely a first and at least with this one dont have to be worrying which one will win. on other hand as he does say it pretty much leaves samsung a little in the cold now ...since they are THE only one not running dolby vision ? 

6 hours ago, betty boop said:

ah I see, thanks for the heads up CWT, yep that wouldnt be a good thing their emulated cooked up hdr10+ :D  I see why vincent is right in that aspect. indeed I can see why he is right too. definitely a first and at least with this one dont have to be worrying which one will win. on other hand as he does say it pretty much leaves samsung a little in the cold now ...since they are THE only one not running dolby vision ? 

Yes  ; hopefully they will cave :) Maybe its because LG and Samsung are both South Korean rivals they take this stance but Samsung don't like paying dolby licensing fees B) 

• Like 1

I'm interested in the up-firing Atmos speakers & weather they can be used with existing 5.1 setups?

I have my components running through my AVR (RXA2050) which then passes through video to the TV via a HDMI 2 port, but aren't sure if this will allow the Atmos speakers to work in conjunction with my 5.1 speakers... With the aim of not needing to buy separate Atmos speakers for a non-dedicated HT room.

1 hour ago, Ralfi said:

I'm interested in the up-firing Atmos speakers & weather they can be used with existing 5.1 setups?

I have my components running through my AVR (RXA2050) which then passes through video to the TV via a HDMI 2 port, but aren't sure if this will allow the Atmos speakers to work in conjunction with my 5.1 speakers... With the aim of not needing to buy separate Atmos speakers for a non-dedicated HT room.

No problem Ralfi you can do ceiling speakers or dolby enabled speakers . That said you will get better atmos with ceiling speakers as the alternative doesn't precisely steer the object audio but reflects it.. Its not like the old channel based sound ; any speakers may receive effects based on where the metadata steers it :)

If you want a 7.1.4 setup you will need a 2nd power amp - depending on how big the room is ..Best post this query in the av section of the forum as its o/t here :cool: