Great electric guitar solos in music!

catman

G'day all, this is another thread inspired by something that I heard on the radio very early this morning.  I guess that the electric guitar is pretty well dominant in the 'sound' of pop and rock music these days and this has mostly been the case since the very beginning!  There have been some very memorable electric guitar solos out there yet some of these somehow get somewhat forgotten.  This morning I heard Ben Harper's 'Diamonds on the Inside'.  I have no idea what that song is about but I love it, especially the electric guitar solo.  I can't resist playing it 'loud' whenever I hear it!  Others?  Regards, Felix. 

• Like 1

Threads like this are to a large degree an exercise in futility as there are far too many great solos to pick out just one (or even two or three).

To me, what is more important is solos that changed or greatly influenced rock music.  Here is an example: the solo from Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly.  It's short, not even a proper solo, maybe not even electric, but how it has resounded over the years in the styles of other guitarists.

• Like 1

I've always loved Jan Akkerman's guitar playing in this. There is excellent guitar work throughout, particularly around the 2-3 minutes mark in this clip, and he really hits his stride around the 8 minute mark. Best to play the whole thing though.

• Like 1

I like many many solos, so will post but a small list below 

Robert Fripp on - 21st Century Schizoid man 

Steve Hackett on - Musical Box and Fifth Of Fifth 

Jimi Hendrix -On - All Along The Watch Tower 

Eric Clapton with Cream on - Crossroads ( very bluesy ) 

Stevie Ray Vaughan on - Little Wing ( makes it his own ) 

For radio play 

I love it when a station plays Lola by the Kinks 

• Like 2

Love the Steve Hackett picks (cos I'm a huge Genesis fan) - nice one!

For me, Jimmy Page in Dazed and Confused from the first Led Zep album; those fraught plucks building up to the climax never fail to give me a (emotional) heart attack. And his beautiful blue notes in Since I've Been Loving You from LZ III.

Can't fail to mention David Gilmour's wonderfully constructed solo in Pink Floyd's Money.

Lastly, Ritchie Blackmore's brilliant work in Speed King from Deep Purple In Rock - my fav Purple album.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bronal said:

Threads like this are to a large degree an exercise in futility as there are far too many great solos to pick out just one (or even two or three).

To me, what is more important is solos that changed or greatly influenced rock music.  Here is an example: the solo from Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly.  It's short, not even a proper solo, maybe not even electric, but how it has resounded over the years in the styles of other guitarists.

Oh, just read this. Completely disagree. What's important about guitar solos is the emotional and musical response to a moment of magic. A moment you cannot forget.

2 hours ago, Bronal said:

Yep , and this bloke helped it along also.

Guest Eggcup The Daft
4 hours ago, was_a said:

Oh, just read this. Completely disagree. What's important about guitar solos is the emotional and musical response to a moment of magic. A moment you cannot forget.

And the years of practice, learning and experience lying behind it, of course.

9 hours ago, Bronal said:

I don't see this as any sort of exercise in futility at all. I don't think the purpose of the thread was to pick a single 'winner'.

By all means give examples of solos that have been influential, but at the very least this thread might might make some people aware of recordings they didn't know about, and there is nothing wrong with that.

• Like 5

One of my favourites is Jessie Ed Davis' solo on Bacon Fat, from the Taj Mahal Giant Step LP.

oh, and Amos Garrett on Maria Muldaur's Midnight at the oasis.

cheers 

mick

Edited by mickj1
  • Like 3

Its all subjective and I could , as a failed guitarist, name 50 that drop me to my knees but here's mine.

More than a Feeling - Boston. That solo and song defined my musical evolution.

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

Crying in the Rain - White Snake

And the live version of Hollow Years by Dream Theater. I mean listen to this ****!!

Edited by crisis

19 hours ago, catman said:

This morning I heard Ben Harper's 'Diamonds on the Inside'.  I have no idea what that song is about but I love it, especially the electric guitar solo.  I can't resist playing it 'loud' whenever I hear it!

Totally agree with this solo catman. I haven’t listened to it for prob 15 years but back then I’d play the song just to hear the solo.

It’s definitely not a very technical solo, but it just works and is pleasing to the ear. I’m gonna blast it in the car on the way to work now. Thanks for the reminder of a song I’d forgotten about for some years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mickj1 said:

One of my favourites is Jessie Ed Davis' solo on Bacon Fat, from the Taj Mahal Giant Step LP.

oh, and Amos Garrett on Maria Muldaur's Midnight at the oasis.

cheers 

mick

I watched a doco on NITV a week or so ago that focused on the influence of American Indians on music. Jesse Ed Davis and Link Wray both featured heavily. It'll probably be repeated at some stage and is worth watching.

• Like 2

On 13/01/2019 at 7:34 AM, Darryl said:

The solo from My Sharona is one of my favourites.

Unsure whether the link to the Facebook discussion works so I'll post a screenshot.

image.png.e6a13abec8e83bb6727d91fa26131dbe.png

** Jon Wurster is the drummer in Superchunk, The Mountain Goats and the Bob Mould band. 

One track that was mentioned a few times in thread, as a contemporary 2010s guitar solo, is Nada Surf's "When I Was Young". I'm not disagreeing with them.

Edited by enikoy

2 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I watched a doco on NITV a week or so ago that focused on the influence of American Indians on music. Jesse Ed Davis and Link Wray both featured heavily. It'll probably be repeated at some stage and is worth watching.

I've seen it a couple of times and it bears repeated watching!

cheers

mick

• Like 1