catman

Great electric guitar solos in music!

G'day all, this is another thread inspired by something that I heard on the radio very early this morning.  I guess that the electric guitar is pretty well dominant in the 'sound' of pop and rock music these days and this has mostly been the case since the very beginning!  There have been some very memorable electric guitar solos out there yet some of these somehow get somewhat forgotten.  This morning I heard Ben Harper's 'Diamonds on the Inside'.  I have no idea what that song is about but I love it, especially the electric guitar solo.  I can't resist playing it 'loud' whenever I hear it!  Others?  Regards, Felix. 

The solo from My Sharona is one of my favourites.

Threads like this are to a large degree an exercise in futility as there are far too many great solos to pick out just one (or even two or three).

To me, what is more important is solos that changed or greatly influenced rock music.  Here is an example: the solo from Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly.  It's short, not even a proper solo, maybe not even electric, but how it has resounded over the years in the styles of other guitarists.

the solo in rock around the clock is a classic and quite hard to play 

Brian May solo at the end of Queens 'We Will Rock You', does it for me every time.

Are you trying to imply that are no great guitar solos outside music? Are you discriminating against air guitar players? Hmmmm...where is this world going - first Trump and now this....😶

I've always loved Jan Akkerman's guitar playing in this. There is excellent guitar work throughout, particularly around the 2-3 minutes mark in this clip, and he really hits his stride around the 8 minute mark. Best to play the whole thing though.

I like many many solos, so will post but a small list below 

Robert Fripp on - 21st Century Schizoid man 

Steve Hackett on - Musical Box and Fifth Of Fifth 

Jimi Hendrix -On - All Along The Watch Tower 

Eric Clapton with Cream on - Crossroads ( very bluesy ) 

Stevie Ray Vaughan on - Little Wing ( makes it his own ) 

For radio play 

I love it when a station plays Lola by the Kinks 

Love the Steve Hackett picks (cos I'm a huge Genesis fan) - nice one!

For me, Jimmy Page in Dazed and Confused from the first Led Zep album; those fraught plucks building up to the climax never fail to give me a (emotional) heart attack. And his beautiful blue notes in Since I've Been Loving You from LZ III.

Can't fail to mention David Gilmour's wonderfully constructed solo in Pink Floyd's Money.

Lastly, Ritchie Blackmore's brilliant work in Speed King from Deep Purple In Rock - my fav Purple album.

Edited by was_a