Google Chromecast Audio Discontinued

The greatest bargain and secret in the history of HiFi is being discontinued https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/18178751/google-chromecast-audio-discontinued-sale.

I would say because of lack of sales because no one knew what they were capable of.

I have 5 of these scattered around the home in a complete easy to use multiroom set up.

You can plug them into a $50 pair of computer speakers or a $50,000 Hifi system.

Sonos HiRes Audio - NO, Google Cromecast HiRes Audio - YES.

• Like 2

I bought one a while ago. Didn't know I needed a subscription to some audio service to use it.

I thought I could stream from a local NAS. NOPE!

Thought I could stream from regular YouTube. NOPE!

My wife managed to get some audio playing from her iPhone. It sounded awful..... and had drop outs and lock ups. Even she didn't like the sound. Returned it to Officeworks for full refund.

Apparently has high jitter...

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html?m=1

Not surprised it's been discontinued. Bargain..not in my opinion. Not even worth the $50. Good riddance. ?

(Sorry that's just my opinion and experience)

Edited by eltech
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, eltech said:

Didn't know I needed a subscription to some audio service to use it.

No you don't

Yes you can. Via a plex server or even Roon

It is an audio device not video, need a chromecast video for that.

16 minutes ago, eltech said:

From Audio Science Review.

"Roon's implementation of Chromecast streaming is superb. It is bit accurate up to 24 bits and 48 kHz that I tested. Congratulations to Roon for job well done. I assume they received support from Google to implement it as the protocol otherwise is not open to the public."

"Using a well-designed Dac like the Topping D50, there is no difference at all between Toslink from Chromecast or higher fidelity sources. All the jitter is filtered out resulting in the performance of the DAC itself being the limit."

"is a great news here. It means that if you have a good DAC and use Roon, you can turn your DAC into a streamer/renderer using the Chromecast Audio. For just $35, that is a superb addition. As such, the combination of Roon and Chromecase audio is highly recommended! "

So I will state my case again.No one knew what they were capable of, not even well educated audiophile which is sad, i suppose they were too cheap.

9 minutes ago, eltech said:

I bought one a while ago. Didn't know I needed a subscription to some audio service to use it.

My wife managed to get some audio playing from her iPhone. It sounded awful..... and had drop outs and lock ups. Even she didn't like the sound. Returned it to Officeworks for full refund.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html?m=1

Not surprised it's been discontinued. Bargain..not in my opinion. Not even worth the $50. Good riddance. ?

I don't think you can fault a product for not doing things it never said it could do.

And as for jitter, from your own link (emphasis theirs):

"Nonetheless, realize that 95dB is still a very big number and this is not going to pose an issue despite claims by the most golden-eared audiophile! "

For $59, for the intended use, it was definitely a bargain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powerav said:

Yes you can. Via a plex server or even Roon

Didn't have it. Don't have it. Not interested. Didn't work out-of-the-box with my DLNA/ Samba. Didn't work with my set-up.

Sounded awful to me and my wife. 

1 minute ago, twofires said:

Nonetheless, realize that 95dB is still a very big number and this is not going to pose an issue despite claims by the most golden-eared audiophile! "

Exactly, never said it could be compared to $5500 Auralic Aries G2 streamer but for $50 gee whiz c'mon as Roon end points around the home it was perfect.

1 minute ago, twofires said:

I don't think you can fault a product for not doing things it never said it could do.

I can because I thought the marketing implied it could do the things I wanted it to do, which is why I bought it. I didn't think their marketing was clear about what it could and couldn't do.

4 minutes ago, eltech said:

Didn't work out-of-the-box with my DLNA/ Samba. Didn't work with my set-up.

So then you must not be able to get any Google device to work with your set up which is the easiest system in the world to use.

7 minutes ago, twofires said:

And as for jitter, from your own link (emphasis theirs):

I guess this is why you have to listen for yourself and perhaps specs aren't everything.....

Sounded pretty bad to me... 

2 minutes ago, powerav said:

So then you must not be able to get any Google device to work with your set up which is the easiest system in the world to use.

What Google devices are you talking about... I only have Android and they seem to work fine.

Just now, eltech said:

I agree, out of the box it was pretty bad but as mentioned for a few easy tweeks it was incredible, i expected to some tweeks for $50 and was happy to do so. I believe even John Darko uses them in secondary system. If you were using them in a primary critical system then well what can I say.

• Administrator

They're a great product for multi-room, non-critical listening solutions as mentioned.

We have one on our alfresco system, one on a pair of active bookshelf speakers in the dining room.

All background music applications essentially. Can't fault them for the price!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eltech said:

I guess this is why you have to listen for yourself and perhaps specs aren't everything.....

Look, I'm not going to argue that what sounds right to me should sound right to everyone, but if what your wife got up on her iPhone was internet radio, there's every likelihood the sound and dropouts had more to do with the stream than the device. I've had those exact issues, but only ever with internet radio. 

Anyway, at least you bought it from Officeworks, and not JB - who seem to think products can never be sold again once a box is opened. 

24 minutes ago, powerav said:

No one knew what they were capable of, not even well educated audiophile

Well that's not true, it was tested and reviewed on two audiophile websites linked above and widely discussed on fora. People did know about it. 

Anyway it's discontinued now.

Just like the squeezebox.

History.....

3 minutes ago, Marc said:

They're a great product for multi-room, non-critical listening solutions as mentioned.

Thanks for jumping in before I got frustrated and in trouble. ?

2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I have it plugged into the TV to watch videos on it via the iPad 

Works OK for me on my single use needs 

You are talking about the Video version and this is a good example of how most people got confused and didn't understand that there even was an Audio only version. Even sales people at both Officeworks and JB HiFi had no idea there was an audio version.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powerav said:

You are talking about the Video version and this is a good example of how most people got confused and didn't understand that there even was an Audio only version. Even sales people at both Officeworks and JB HiFi had no idea there was an audio version.

When I purchased the first release model - I think the video model was the only version available ?

Best cheap audio product since squeezebox. Still use one in my car for my son to cast from  a tablet directly to a processor.

These cheap fit for purpose devices never seem to last long as most people think they need to spend a lot more... for less functionality....

• Like 1

Goodaye all

Got one for Christmas, love it.

l use VLC to cast too it, no problems.

If your using a 3.5 output with no Dac you have to turn on the upper dynamic range, if your using a optical out its already set.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

I use Hi-Fi Cast on my Motorola smartphone with a good result. + Yamaha 2100 DAC. I have quite large CD collection on my phone. Chromecast is pretty good for background music. I am using CD player for critical listening. 

4 hours ago, Nada said:

What did you do?

just the basic ones like enable dynamic range if using analog cable out of the box, use digital cable to DAC or something I haven't done but now I am very keen is to get Roon and try that.

9 hours ago, eltech said:

Didn't work out-of-the-box with my DLNA/ Samba. Didn't work with my set-up.

Product is working as advertised.

9 hours ago, eltech said:

Sounded awful to me and my wife. 

This is not normal.  Something was wrong (and not necessarily with the chromecast).