sliksilvia

Sony Bravia ARC to Yamaha Receiver not working

Hi guys,

I am trying to work out how to get TV, YouTube & NetFlix audio to my receiver using HDMI ARC ? - Seem as though ARC isn't really that reliable or compatible from searching these forums. 

The HDMI cable goes from the Sony X83F "HDMI 3 ARC" input on the TV directly into HDMI Video Out ARC port on my Yamaha RX-V481 receiver.

I've played around with the HDMI menu on the receiver turning ARC on and off etc and changing the input to AVR 02 to listen/picked the ARC signal from the Sony.

Do I need to use Bravia Sync to use ARC to have both devices talking to one another?? - as it has not been able to find the Yamaha receiver.

I have the latest software/firmware versions on both devices. The HDMI cable says Hi-Speed so shouldn't have any issues with compatibility.

Please help I have been mucking around with this all day ! 

15 hours ago, sliksilvia said:

Do I need to use Bravia Sync to use ARC to have both devices talking to one another?? - as it has not been able to find the Yamaha receiver.

I have the latest software/firmware versions on both devices. The HDMI cable says Hi-Speed so shouldn't have any issues with compatibility.

Please help I have been mucking around with this all day ! 

Bravia sync is the Sony proprietary name for the ARC protocol sliksilvia . Switch it on and see if its compatible. Other brands use different proprietary names and methods like anynet and simplink so it isn't that reliable .

Generally speaking hi speed with ethernet  cables are the best for reliable ARC as  the cec edid commands are separate from the other tmds video/audio traces ; see how you go ..

HEC is the HDMI Ethernet Channel, and enables HDMI connected devices to access the internet without each of them requiring separate Ethernet cables. Because HEC and ARC use the same two wires inside the HDMI cable, the names are sometimes combined to HEAC - HDMI Ethernet Audio Channel - for brevity.

HDMI Ethernet is a non-starter for home theatre equipment and it's not likely to change in the future. It can be disregarded as a useful feature on hardware, but when purchasing cables you may as well go with HEC compatible options as ARC will use the same pinouts.

Things should be more reliable too when E-ARC takes over with hdmi 2.1 :cool: