Snoopy8

Annoying SNA pop-up

stereonet_logo.png
Would you like to read the
local edition of our publication?

This pop-up is coming up regularly on my Android phone. Am ok to receive 1 or 2 SNA pop-ups, but this particular one comes up almost everytime I visit SNA and I do so many times in a day.

* Am currently overseas at the moment..

Edited by Snoopy8
Added *

+1

Annoying!

Admin

Please appreciate that as you are overseas, this is why you are seeing it - as you know.

I have it set (now) to show only once in 12 hours. And if you close it, you won't see it again within 12 hours.

This solution is a much better option now, rather than the forced redirect we previously employed.

I wish I was some place an overseas pop up would annoy me 😢

19 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

I wish I was some place an overseas pop up would annoy me 😢

I grant you a Holiday 🌉

As for myself I will be off on another cruise in 10 days 

31 minutes ago, Marc said:

This solution is a much better option now, rather than the forced redirect we previously employed.

It is not really a "solution" that would be welcome when you are overseas, just another hassle to deal with, every 12 hours it would seem.

Once you have told SNA you don't want to read the local publication that should be the end of that, period, no more pop ups, not even after another 12 hours.

Flag the site selection of the user in their profile, they can then change the selection if necessary.

People usually are capable of deciding for themselves which site they want to visit.

I can put up with the pop ups every 12 hours before I go back soon, but what about our non Australian members? Do they get pop ups?  

Yes the non Australian members (NZ) get the pop ups. I can live with it. Better than the forced redirection that was previously attempted. 

Admin

As mentioned, this is evolving. The first implementation received complaints, which I acted upon and implemented the next best solution that is "within my ability".

It's a far better option now, there is no disputing that.

1 hour ago, soundbyte said:

Once you have told SNA you don't want to read the local publication that should be the end of that, period, no more pop ups, not even after another 12 hours.

Flag the site selection of the user in their profile, they can then change the selection if necessary.

When I figure out how to do that, or have the resources to hire a programmer who can do that, I will.

Admin
18 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

but what about our non Australian members? Do they get pop ups?  

Yes. One of the things that kick-started this community was the localised content.

There have been many discussions had over the years about StereoNET moving to .com and becoming an international site. I've always been opposed to that.
I think specific regions need localised websites, and there's already enough international sites.

So the solution was to roll out region-specific editions of StereoNET, and the way to get those localised sites going in the short term is to remind/encourage our readers to use their region-specific website.

I'm comfortable with how we are handling this at the moment. But, we have and will continue to evolve. I've always listened to feedback and criticism, and I continue to make decisions based on that along with my own thoughts and decisions on the direction of things. Since 199 and still growing, I think we're doing most things right.