Speakers for my naim system

HI,

I have a Naim pre/power amp  (152/155) with a CDX2 player. What are good speakers to partner with this combination? I have had this set up for the last 5 years and have tried a number of different speakers it and have been disappointed with the sound. I have tried Tannoy Precision floor standers ( too harsh), Q Acoustics 3050's ( to undefined)  and Vienna Acoustics Haydn SE's ( great with vocals but become muddled with more complex music) .

Another member of stereonet has some Opera Grand Mezza speakers for sale and I am also considering  the KEF Q range. I would be very grateful for members advice and opinions. I have a max budget of $3k.

Thanks

HI Pkay- my room is 5m by 4.3m. I am not familiar at all with PMC speakers?

HI Sanders- Thanks- but I have always wanted a Naim system, and changing it with so much choice out there would be very scary.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eskay said:

HI Pkay- my room is 5m by 4.3m. I am not familiar at all with PMC speakers?

HI Sanders- Thanks- but I have always wanted a Naim system, and changing it with so much choice out there would be very scary.

You could contact Audio Trends, Andrew Coles is the Naim man there, he might be able you give some suggestions.

• Like 1

Another suggestion I would recommend that you try a hicap or Teddy Pardo power supply. My experience with Naim was that the hicap made a huge difference. The Teddy gets a lot of positive reviews and is much cheaper. 

The earlier comment on the NacA5 cable is important. 

Edited by PKay
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, PKay said:

See if you can find some PMC speakers. I used to have some PMC OB1s with a 140. They did sound a lot better with the 250.2. What size room do you have?

Yup, I can +1 for the PMC speakers. I've heard them with Naim and Creek integrated amps in a showrooms and friends' houses a few years ago. Was exceedingly impressed :) 

2 hours ago, Eskay said:

I currently have two flatcapXS with my system.I also use the Naim  cable. I will have a look and listen to some PMC speakers. 

Thanks

See if you can borrow a hicap or Teddy PSU

There are a few speakers that seem to get partnered with Naim alot of the time. I've had their SBL's on duty and whilst the bass wasn't earth shattering they sounded very nice.
Linn kans seem to be a favourite for a small speaker. Epos ES14 are liked by many too but I've personally never heard them.
For me my best out of the lot were Shahinian arcs II and i still have them to this day.
I like the suggestion above about contacting a retailer where you could maybe take your kit into and hear a few different pairs..... 3K should get you something very nice. Please let us know what you decide on.

Can you recommend a dealer in Melbourne who stocks and demos Neat speakers?

I listened to a number of speakers in the last couple of Days-

Kef reference 3,

B&W 705 S2, 

Proac D Two 

Of the above three I preferred the Proacs but alas they are outside of my budget. I preferred the Kef's over the B&W.

I would like to hear some Neat speakers.

Thanks for all your input. 

I would make sure you have a listen to the PMC speakers and see if you like them.
I listened to the twenty 5 range and only really liked the Twenty 5 26.
I don’t recall what they were paired with but I found them way too bright.
I so wanted them to be amazing and suit the sound I like but they just didn’t do it for me.
I would love to hear them again paired up to different equipment.
Not sure what the general Naim sound is as I’ve had no experience with it.
What kind of sound are you searching for?

I found a pair of speakers which I really liked the sound of with my Naim- dont laugh,but they were a pair of Canton Chrono 526 speakers on stands. Very well finished, and too me very good. I might buy them.

Any thoughts on Canton speakers?

I found a pair of speakers which I really liked the sound of with my Naim- dont laugh,but they were a pair of Canton Chrono 526 speakers on stands. Very well finished, and too me very good. I might buy them.   Any thoughts on Canton speakers?

If they sound good to you then go for it.I’m sure they would be well designed and made; being a German company behind it.

For that sort of money you could move them on later and not lose a fortune.

Part of the enjoyment I think is experimenting with different speakers and working out what you love.

Spending year or so with speakers let’s you know what you like and don’t like.

I spent a couple of years with some NHT Classic 3’s on stands at a similar value.

Great value speaker and reasonably well made.

I think I may sell them soon but enjoyed them.

Onto some Kef R7’s now.

I know at some point I would like to own speakers from the following brands, Devore, Harbeth and audio note.

Something just sounds organic, musical and enjoyable when I hear them.

I like a speaker to mesmerise you.

All the best with your shopping. I’m late to the party here but I have Focal Aria 906 Bookshelf’s (Focal and Naim are the same company nowadays) paired with a 140/42.5 and Hicap and Rega RP3. Sound wise there’s plenty of detail and dimensions are good etc. I wouldn’t mind a touch more base but overall it’s a very nice setup and I admittedly took a complete chance on the speakers buying them online before listening. If money were no object I would auditioned Harbeth and Proac. This past week I joined a friend shopping who was up for spending up to $1500; we walked away with a pair of ELAC bookshelf 6.2 for $600 and this after auditioning b&w, elac floorstanders, dynaudio, vintage energy and tannoys.

• Like 1