Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Wimbo

The wonderful NBN.

Recommended Posts

2014_popemurdoch2014.jpg

 

 

As someone much wiser than me said: "Tony Abbott visits Rupert in New York in June 2014 to receive instructions. Turnbull's humiliation as he's forced to preside over the destruction of the NBN. Pinocchio and the long nose is a bit of a hackneyed reference for cartoonists but this one is just bloody marvellous from David Pope at the Canberra Times. I think he's one of our most thoughtful and perceptive cartoonists. And he can really draw - a great Murdoch. I love the Credlin, bottom right, as well."

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2020 at 10:39 AM, Indrid said:

Moved into a recent housing development with FTTP. When viewing the unit 2 of the duplex, I asked the agent about the NBN. She said yes, it has NBN. I saw an NBN box near the front door. So, we took the place.

 

So, it’s been two months now and no NBN. After Telstra and NBN trying to figure out what’s going on, it turns out the people in unit 1 didn’t go through the NBN address verification process and simply took the entire property as their own, meaning they should have had their ISP set it up as Unit 1 number 7 BLahBlah Street, instead just got their connection as 7 BlahBlah Street. Long story short, Unit 2 will never have any telephone or NBN services. Of course, there’s no copper or ADSL, there’s just nothing. Real Estate agent won’t help. Telstra won’t help. NBN won’t help.

 

Moral of the story, do your due diligence.

Fark!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your MP may help. 

 

Is what the neighbours did, legal? If not, why are NBN and Telstra bound by it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 28/02/2020 at 8:25 PM, ThirdDrawerDown said:

2014_popemurdoch2014.jpg

 

  

very insightful @ThirdDrawerDown. Love the cartoon and the inference. Largely my view on the whole thing. However, it's important not to cast Malcolm as merely/solely a puppet in the whole NBN mix of technologies etc thing (although there were many aspects of exactly that). I think it goes to show to which lengths some pollies will go in order to eventually have chance at the top job - Malcolm as a top proponent. No matter how tortured, fruitless and against ones principles the whole road and indeed their entire sorry time in the top job turns out to be. Or what damage ends up being caused in the process. Collateral.

 

Edited by zippi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 23/02/2020 at 10:39 AM, Indrid said:

Moved into a recent housing development with FTTP. When viewing the unit 2 of the duplex, I asked the agent about the NBN. She said yes, it has NBN. I saw an NBN box near the front door. So, we took the place.

 

So, it’s been two months now and no NBN. After Telstra and NBN trying to figure out what’s going on, it turns out the people in unit 1 didn’t go through the NBN address verification process and simply took the entire property as their own, meaning they should have had their ISP set it up as Unit 1 number 7 BLahBlah Street, instead just got their connection as 7 BlahBlah Street. Long story short, Unit 2 will never have any telephone or NBN services. Of course, there’s no copper or ADSL, there’s just nothing. Real Estate agent won’t help. Telstra won’t help. NBN won’t help.

 

Moral of the story, do your due diligence.

I Just got the Optus WIFI Broadband.   Up to 150Mpbs download and consistently 40Mbps upload.

 

500Gb per month.  The modem Huawei B808 (largish not a small handheld modem) comes with 2 Lan ports and you can put in bridge mode if you wanted to you say an  existing network.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got that months ago with an older modem, started out fine but now down to a max of 21Mbps. I hope yours doesn't go the same way.

Got told i am in a blackspot, but have not moved house or anything, it just gradually slowed down starting about 2 months into my contract, so now I have the optus 4G and NBN as I could not reliably stream netflix 4K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2020 at 10:39 AM, Indrid said:

Unit 2 will never have any telephone or NBN services. Of course, there’s no copper or ADSL, there’s just nothing. Real Estate agent won’t help. Telstra won’t help. NBN won’t help.

wow wtf lol? surely there's a way to rectify this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2020 at 12:58 PM, Demondes said:

I Just got the Optus WIFI Broadband.   Up to 150Mpbs download and consistently 40Mbps upload.

 

500Gb per month.  The modem Huawei B808 (largish not a small handheld modem) comes with 2 Lan ports and you can put in bridge mode if you wanted to you say an  existing network.

 

Thanks, yes, I tried it but for some reason they could only give me 1.5Mbps speed. Seemed capped, but they couldn't fix it. I cancelled and went with 100GB Telstra mobile broadband, which I blow through in about a week. Luckily only signed lease for 6 months, so we'll be out of here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 04/03/2020 at 9:31 AM, pezzy said:

wow wtf lol? surely there's a way to rectify this?

The one and only rectification was for me to submit a new developer application to reclassify the duplex. I would have to personally pay near $1000 and wait a minimum of 4 months to process ( up to 6).  Not really an option for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Indrid said:

The one and only rectification was for me to submit a new developer application to reclassify the duplex. I would have to personally pay near $1000 and wait a minimum of 4 months to process ( up to 6).  Not really an option for me.

Can you find the neighbours wi-fi password?😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I changed to NBN today, using ABB, got their 100/20 plan!!! :shocked:  Everything is working well and I also cancelled my Telstra Cable.

 

Why now?  NBN became available in my area at the end of March.  Telstra Cable was unusable at times because everyone is now working from home.  And one of my sons uses video conferencing.   It was a risk to change.  Had something gone wrong, it could have been a disaster because  it would have been difficult to get a technician to fix things.  As it was, we got the the NBN FTTC modem by mail today and my son already bought the TP Link router. 

 

image.png.634fa41e6863633b8da0728f047230fa.png

We are now up and running!  👍 👏 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I changed to NBN today, using ABB, got their 100/20 plan!!! :shocked:  Everything is working well and I also cancelled my Telstra Cable.

 

Why now?  NBN became available in my area at the end of March.  Telstra Cable was unusable at times because everyone is now working from home.  And one of my sons uses video conferencing.   It was a risk to change.  Had something gone wrong, it could have been a disaster because  it would have been difficult to get a technician to fix things.  As it was, we got the the NBN FTTC modem by mail today and my son already bought the TP Link router. 

 

image.png.634fa41e6863633b8da0728f047230fa.png

We are now up and running!  👍 👏 

Aussie are fantastic,  I dumped Optus after numerous dropouts and performance issues.

Their reward was to steal 3 months of my monthly plan before a long successful battle to get my money back. 

Complained to Aussie about poor performance soon after signing up,  they diagnosed an issue with the way NBN was installed - and got techs to replace wiring to the street!

Couldn't be happier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


@Snoopy8

 

you're gonna love nbn FTTC :thumb:

 

im getting this upstairs for the Orbi satellite,  the nbn comes in to a corner down stairs....   the boss has never complained about buffering ever! 
 

 

39AF0F4E-855C-4A29-909F-6D67FC7E6D74.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get similar figures now via HFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, everything's going to plan: taxpayer fund it, then depreciate it to lower than a snake's belly, and flog it off to your mates. Margin!

 

Quote

Telecommunications industry figures and credit ratings agency S&P have said a write-down of the network's value is inevitable. The Parliamentary Budget Office recently said the most recent fair value estimate of NBN Co, as of June 2019, was $8.7 billion.

 

Quote

The federal government has commissioned a review of the National Broadband Network's valuation, prompting speculation about privatisation plans for the $51 billion asset.

Consulting firm Ernst & Young has been appointed to examine how the network is valued as the NBN Co enters a new phase of ongoing maintenance and upgrades ahead of an eventual sale.

 

Quote

Sydney Morning Herald, today.

 

Once sold, expect the owners to go to Govt cap-in-hand for the taxpayer to stump up with the money for "necessary maintenance".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Your MP may help. 

Is what the neighbours did, legal?

 

They just made a mistake (as did the telcos) .... so very likely, yes.

Quote

If not, why are NBN

NBN are bound to provide a service to the premesis.    They'll likely need to speak to the owner of the properly.

 

The tennacy laws don't give much right to the tennant for this.... but consumer laws will let them cancel their tennancy (and be compensated for all costs incuding moving and finding a new house) as the real estate agent mislead them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 05/03/2020 at 4:18 PM, Indrid said:

Luckily only signed lease for 6 months, so we'll be out of here. 

If your RE said it has NBN but it doesn't .... then tell them you are breaking the lease and you want them to pay your costs of moving and finding a new property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...