The wonderful NBN.

On 03/10/2019 at 5:14 PM, TJMJ57 said:

I have a very strong feeling they have blacklisted my property because it's 'too hard'.

No, you'll get it March 2020.    That's when NBNCo can finish the work to design something (whatever that is) that will reach your property.

They offered to go with Cable 3.0 until NBN is ready. Technician is suppose to come in a couple weeks.... I'm not counting on it...  

Why not? You have cable already to your property I assume (for payTV), otherwise Telstra shouldn't have suggested that product ..... so it should be easy to turn on.

If all fails they will give me ADSL

:thumb:

What a disaster  

Some people have to be last.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:40 PM, palexsia said:

all they do is point finger at nbn not theirs faults

Optus should not be doing this.

If there is a real fault with the NBN network, they should have been explaining to you clearly what the NBN case was, and when it would be fixed (within a couple of days, typically).

Otherwise, they just simply provided you poor service, and lied to you about the cause to keep you paying for their poor internet service.

I know that if I change others provider the results will be the same

How do you know this?   Hint:  You are wrong.

All dependents where you live , same areas different street different results .  My left neighbor is fine , my right neighbor and me is no good , my opposite home is 50/50 . How that ?do  Anyone know the answer ? 

Do you know which NBN technology you are connected with?   Fibre to Home?  Fibre to Curb?  Fibre to Node?

All have the same reliability (should be perfect).   All but Node, have identical speeds for each house.     Node, speed can vary to different houses due to wire length / quality.

Maybe this is solution for everyone who have problems with nbn . 

Not "everyone" .... as the mobile networks cannot handle lots of users before it gets slow/unreliable.    That's why it would never be a viable replacement for (everyone) the NBN.

If you go with another NBN provider you will be fine.  If you are not, don't pay.... and find a provider who does give you the expected service.

7 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

If you go with another NBN provider you will be fine.  If you are not, don't pay.... and find a provider who does give you the expected service.

I would be very careful about not paying. Cancel the subscription but if you miss payments it will go against your credit rating. 

7 hours ago, PKay said:

I would be very careful about not paying. Cancel the subscription but if you miss payments it will go against your credit rating. 

Indeed... You don't just "not pay".   You ask them to void the invoice (ie. don't charge you), otherwise you will log a case with the TIO (assuming you have a valid complaint).

This is the equivalent of "not paying".

ie. you tell them  "if you don't provide me with a working service, then you don't have the right to charge me for it"  (assuming the fault is not the customer responsibility.... which it sometimes can be with an ISP).

4 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Indeed... You don't just "not pay".   You ask them to void the invoice (ie. don't charge you), otherwise you will log a case with the TIO (assuming you have a valid complaint).

This is the equivalent of "not paying".

ie. you tell them  "if you don't provide me with a working service, then you don't have the right to charge me for it"  (assuming the fault is not the customer responsibility.... which it sometimes can be with an ISP).

Good to clarify - I would pay and then chase my refund.  The credit agencies don't care that you have received shoddy perfomance. They are binary, you are late or on time.

Edited by PKay

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/australians-would-have-faster-cheaper-internet-had-nbn-not-been-built-telstra-chairman-20191015-p530pa.html

Australians would have faster, cheaper internet had NBN not been built: Telstra chairman

Telstra chairman John Mullen has claimed all Australians would have access to high-speed internet at a "fraction of the cost" if the government had not proceeded with the $50 billion National Broadband Network project.

Mr Mullen admitted to shareholders at Telstra's annual general meeting on Tuesday morning that the country's biggest telecommunications company should bear some of the blame due to its "recalcitrance in helping the government at the time".

"The creation of the NBN 10 years ago has had a seminal effect on our industry and Australia," Mr Mullen said.

"It is always easier to comment with the benefit of hindsight, but it is my view that over the last 10 years private sector competition between strong players such as Telstra, Optus, TPG and others was always going to build 100 Mbps broadband access and speed to the majority of the population of Australia, in an ongoing competitive landscape and at no cost whatsoever to the taxpayer," he said.

Mr Mullen said the government could then have decided how much in subsidy they could provide to the industry to extend this coverage to regional and rural areas where the private sector economics didn't stack up.

"This would have been at a fraction of the cost of today's NBN," he said. ~"

I do wonder how much better things would have been with private enterprise doing the roll out they would have done anyways without the NBN mammoth and instead government just filling in the gaps with subsidies and such to make sure of support to regional areas....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, betty boop said:

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/australians-would-have-faster-cheaper-internet-had-nbn-not-been-built-telstra-chairman-20191015-p530pa.html

Australians would have faster, cheaper internet had NBN not been built: Telstra chairman

Telstra chairman John Mullen has claimed all Australians would have access to high-speed internet at a "fraction of the cost" if the government had not proceeded with the $50 billion National Broadband Network project.

Mr Mullen admitted to shareholders at Telstra's annual general meeting on Tuesday morning that the country's biggest telecommunications company should bear some of the blame due to its "recalcitrance in helping the government at the time".

"The creation of the NBN 10 years ago has had a seminal effect on our industry and Australia," Mr Mullen said.

"It is always easier to comment with the benefit of hindsight, but it is my view that over the last 10 years private sector competition between strong players such as Telstra, Optus, TPG and others was always going to build 100 Mbps broadband access and speed to the majority of the population of Australia, in an ongoing competitive landscape and at no cost whatsoever to the taxpayer," he said.

Mr Mullen said the government could then have decided how much in subsidy they could provide to the industry to extend this coverage to regional and rural areas where the private sector economics didn't stack up.

"This would have been at a fraction of the cost of today's NBN," he said. ~"

I do wonder how much better things would have been with private enterprise doing the roll out they would have done anyways without the NBN mammoth and instead government just filling in the gaps with subsidies and such to make sure of support to regional areas....

BIG call.  He forgot to mention that Telstra could then continue its practice of gouging its customers.  I am happy with Telstra cable but unlikely to go with them when NBN comes, not willing to pay the Telstra premium of 30%.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

BIG call.  He forgot to mention that Telstra could then continue its practice of gouging its customers.  I am happy with Telstra cable but unlikely to go with them when NBN comes, not willing to pay the Telstra premium of 30%.

ha ... yes we are optus nbn/landline and telstra/optus/belong for mobile....

he wasnt specifically talking telstra though. more the point private enterprise would have taken care of it... rathe than the government behemoth getting involved :)

• Like 1

Last time I looked NBN was due at my place about now,  but just checked again and it's been pushed out to Jan-Mar 2020.     When we moved into the house in Aug 2017 NBN was due in Dec 2017 :(         

At least the build has commenced now, which it wasn't a few months ago.    I'm in North Warrandyte (vic) which will be a pig of an area to install so further delays won't be a surprise.       

It hasn't really bothered me because the Optus 4G mobile broadband I currently use is much cheaper and probably faster than NBN.   The only downside is the small  100GB/month quota.  

2 hours ago, manchu said:

Last time I looked NBN was due at my place about now,  but just checked again and it's been pushed out to Jan-Mar 2020.     When we moved into the house in Aug 2017 NBN was due in Dec 2017 :(         

At least the build has commenced now, which it wasn't a few months ago.    I'm in North Warrandyte (vic) which will be a pig of an area to install so further delays won't be a surprise.       

It hasn't really bothered me because the Optus 4G mobile broadband I currently use is much cheaper and probably faster than NBN.   The only downside is the small  100GB/month quota.  

Optus offer 4G wireless internet with 500Gb of data for $80 per month. that is what I have.

Or $60 gets you 200Gb.

• Like 1

Just received comms from Telstra that NBN is ready in my area. Pretty upset as it means i'll need to give up the cable internet i've been using for years.

Currently i pay $89 per month for unlimited cable internet, speeds over 100+mbps and rock solid reliable. I now have the option of taking up the NBN @ 40mbps for the same price. Sounds like a great deal ?

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
On 14/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, PKay said:

Good to clarify - I would pay and then chase my refund.  The credit agencies don't care that you have received shoddy perfomance. They are binary, you are late or on time.

It's also interesting to note that those that do the rating, also do dept recovery :(

4 hours ago, Batty said:

Optus offer 4G wireless internet with 500Gb of data for $80 per month. that is what I have.

Or $60 gets you 200Gb.

It was bit more expensive when I signed up ~2yrs ago.  Their mobile broadband’ is a slightly different product I think too.  IIRC ‘wireless internet’ is speed limited to 12Mbps but ‘mobile broadband’ isn’t.  I typically get between 50 and 150Mbps these days.  

I pay $52.50/m on 2yr contract, but got a ‘free’ $800 iPad so it works out pretty cheep,  just not quite enough data some months :(  

Contract is up in 2months and I’m very tempted to do the same again.  

4 minutes ago, manchu said:

It was bit more expensive when I signed up ~2yrs ago.  Their mobile broadband’ is a slightly different product I think too.  IIRC ‘wireless internet’ is speed limited to 12Mbps but ‘mobile broadband’ isn’t.  I typically get between 50 and 150Mbps these days.  

I pay $52.50/m on 2yr contract, but got a ‘free’ $800 iPad so it works out pretty cheep,  just not quite enough data some months :(  

Contract is up in 2months and I’m very tempted to do the same again.  

I'm on the same deal as @Batty. I get up to 125Mbps, almost never below 80Mbps

5 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

I'm on the same deal as @Batty. I get up to 125Mbps, almost never below 80Mbps

Looks like they’ve rejigged the products/plans since I last looked, so that speed limit I mentioned isn’t applicable now.  

The bad  news for me is they’ve  scrapped the big data sim only or plans with tablets so I can’t do the same again like I hoped.  $80/m is only 75gb now, but 6months ago it was 200gb, with an iPad.    

I almost signed up back in March when the had another 25% off but the bloody NBN was supposedly arriving by now.  Bugger.  

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/446771

and more bad news it seems.   I can’t get the 200 or 500gb plans without buying the modem, but I’ve already got a perfectly good Optus 4G modem. Grrrrr.  

14 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

Just received comms from Telstra that NBN is ready in my area. Pretty upset as it means i'll need to give up the cable internet i've been using for years.

Currently i pay $89 per month for unlimited cable internet, speeds over 100+mbps and rock solid reliable. I now have the option of taking up the NBN @ 40mbps for the same price. Sounds like a great deal ?

Please post as you go through process. I am in same boat, maybe 3-6 months behind. Found this useful (I think it applies to cable as well)

https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/information-about-adsl-home-phone-cutoff

• Like 1

Guest vagabond
On 28/09/2019 at 7:32 PM, vagabond said:

Another month has come and gone. They're still saying it's planned to be available in September, I think they may be cutting it fine. 

Their latest claim is 29/11.   Based on past delivery, I remain sceptical.

I'm being constantly reminded, by email/phone and letter box ad's that I have FTTB available by iiNET.....well TPG owns the line apparently.

I've just been reading of peoples experiences with this at the Whirlpool forums, for the most part they seen pretty positive......anybody here got it?

In the email they sent me they sent a code giving me the first 3 months free if I switch from my ADSL2 plan.

One of the concerns I have is if I take up the Voip option as well, and then I have a problem with that......if the Voip is stuffed, how do I ring support ?

I'll be stuffed if I'm going to be put on hold when ringing on a prepaid mobile.

The thought of unlimited download/upload at 90mps is the same price I'm paying for my ADSL2 [$59pm] and having unlimited calls both Locally, Nationally and to mobiles for a extra $10 PM does appeal, especially as it means I can ditch my Telstra land line which is costing me around $140 PQ with very few calls.

I'm not sure of the TECH behind it though, over the years my ADSL2 speed has got slower and slower [I was originally with Netspace who got bought out by iiNET, then they merged with TPG and that's when things went downhill]

From explanations of why this occurred at the Whirpool forum s, it's been blamed on TPG over subscribing the lines.....I'm on the edge of the Sydney CBD where large increase of residential apartments have been built over the years.

Can the same over subscribing slowdown happen with the TPG owned FTTB ?

On 15/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, betty boop said:

was always going to build 100 Mbps broadband access and speed to the majority of the population of Australia, in an ongoing competitive landscape and at no cost whatsoever to the taxpayer," he said.

"the majority of" ... is not "ALL".

"No cost whatsoever".    These companies are not charities.   Yes they will fund the infrastructure .... Yes, they will recoup the costs of that infrastructure through monopolising said infrastructure.

There's no magic pudding.

On 15/10/2019 at 1:23 PM, betty boop said:

I do wonder how much better things would have been with private enterprise doing the roll out

Nobody ever explains what is actually wrong with the current rollout?

They just infer it's a "dogs breakfast" .... and we all nod and bleet.