The wonderful NBN.

We have just had NBN arrive in our street and surprise surprise our ADSL 2 speed has dropped from 10 mbps to 2.85 mbps.  I was going to wait but will get off my behind and organise my electrician to run some coax cable. 

for those thinking of dumping their land line... think through ... its something i considered and found no cost advantage in our case to dump it... its for free for us

well surprise... my iPhone froze on a recent overnight update. unusable for phone or text. earliest appointment with apple next day. wife and daughter interstate. fortunately still had the "landline" so could still make calls and communicate. while apple sorted the iPhone.

4 minutes ago, betty boop said:

for those thinking of dumping their land line... think through ... its something i considered and found no cost advantage in our case to dump it... its for free for us

I have been waiting to see what call rates they offer.  If it's super cheap, like Voip, yes, why not keep it.  If it is expensive like some land lines, then I might save money by losing it :)

5 minutes ago, betty boop said:

well surprise... my iPhone froze on a recent overnight update. unusable for phone or text. earliest appointment with apple next day. wife and daughter interstate. fortunately still had the "landline" so could still make calls and communicate. while apple sorted the iPhone.

Burner phone?

Just now, aussievintage said:

I have been waiting to see what call rates they offer.  If it's super cheap, like Voip, yes, why not keep it.  If it is expensive like some land lines, then I might save money by losing it :)

in our case all calls are inclusive. so call rates doesnt really come into it...

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

That's what I wanted to do,   but changing all my email addresses registered with companies and government sites means I will be lazy and stay where I am :( 

I'm not sure this is an issue.  When I changed to Aussie Broadband because they offered a 50 Mbps speed on fixed wireless, I kept my ADSL service with Internode as a backup and kept my longstanding Internode email address.

However, I'm pretty sure Internode told me that I could keep that address regardless of whether I kept the ADSL service and that it would only cost $30.00 per year to do so if I didn't have an internet service with Internode.

7 minutes ago, Tony M said:

However, I'm pretty sure Internode told me that I could keep that address regardless of whether I kept the ADSL service and that it would only cost $30.00 per year to do so if I didn't have an internet service with Internode.

Well, that would be a good solution until I finally got them all transferred over at some later time.

21 hours ago, PKay said:

We have just had NBN arrive in our street and surprise surprise our ADSL 2 speed has dropped from 10 mbps to 2.85 mbps.

It's not a conspiracy.   ;) :D :no:

The speed drop is caused by either one of two things:

Technicians are playing with the copper network, and have "done something" to your line or something near-by it.   A speed drop like this (substantial) would come with fairly extreme instability (and the actual "sync" speed reported by your modem dropping from 10 to 3).    If it's this, then it's unintentional - log a fault with your ISP (or just go to NBN).

The ISP supplying bandwidth to the ADSL infrastructure in your area, has redirected all their bandwidth to NBN services.   This would just mean your connection was slow, not unstable.   The sync speed reported by your modem would still say 10mbps  .... but just you wouldn't be able to such more than 3 from the pipe.    If it's this, then "sucka" - get a better ISP (and/or just go to NBN).

21 hours ago, PKay said:

I was going to wait but will get off my behind and organise my electrician to run some coax cable. 

Coax?   What sort of NBN do you have coming?

Unless you are really sure, I'd wait for your install first.

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I have been waiting to see what call rates they offer.  If it's super cheap, like Voip

It is super cheap like VoIP.... because that's exactly what it is.   VoIP.

It's not a "landline" per se (contrary to what people might call it) ....  it's a free VoIP account provided by your ISP, and won't work if you have any issues with your ISP, or if the power goes out.

If you want an actual "landline voice" phone service.... You can still get them via the NBN if you have a uni-V port .... You typically only have this on FTTH, or perhaps fixed wireless, or satellite  (ie. only the old parts of the NBN).

They're priced like "old school" landlines, you know like $20 per month plus calls ..... they work for 000,  they work without an ISP ... and they work when the power goes off (if you have a battery backup, like most of the original NBN comes with).

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

That's what I wanted to do,   but changing all my email addresses registered with companies and government sites means I will be lazy and stay where I am :( 

Ask your old ISP for a price for just keeping your email address active.   $30 per year last time I checked.

Then you can configure the old address to forward everything to the new address (Eg. gmail).

Then make a rule in gmail to highlight or star everything which arrived forwarded on from the old email account .... then then that gives you a "to do list" of which ones you need to update.  :thumb:

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

It's not a conspiracy.   ;) :D :no:

Coax?   What sort of NBN do you have coming?

Unless you are really sure, I'd wait for your install first.

Hybrid Fibre Coaxial.  My router is possibly the most far part of the house from where the phone line comes in, it is also going to be really difficult to get a coax cable there and I don't trust an Optus installer on a fixed price instal.

BTW my brother's download speed in forestville dropped to less than 1mbps after NBN became available and I'm sure that wasn't deliberate either.

Edited by PKay

49 minutes ago, PKay said:

Hybrid Fibre Coaxial.

I see.... You having ADSL right now threw me  ;) 

it is also going to be really difficult to get a coax cable there and I don't trust an Optus installer on a fixed price instal.

Installer is arranged by the NBNCo.   You should ask for it where you want it to go, they're supposed to comply where it's possible.    If they don't and there's not a good reason why, just go back to your ISP.    The installer will get punished (assuming he didn't do the job) and you'll eventually get what you want.

Unless you have $$$ to burn, of course.

BTW my brother's download speed in forestville dropped to less than 1mbps after NBN became available and I'm sure that wasn't deliberate either.

Again....  There's two the reasons why (and only those reasons)....  in case you're thinking this is some type of "NBN conspiracy" (which it isn't).

• One is your ISP being an @#%#@
  • The other is a fault with your line, which will be repaired if you tell your ISP.

If your ISP doesn't want to lodge the fault ticket with the owner of the phone line (likely Telstra) to say there's a line problem .....  then you know which one it is (it's the second) .... the reason is that if the ISP logs the fault with Telstra for a broken line, which isn't a broken line then Telstra charges the ISP $$$.

41 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I see.... You having ADSL right now threw me  ;) 

Installer is arranged by the NBNCo.   You should ask for it where you want it to go, they're supposed to comply where it's possible.    If they don't and there's not a good reason why, just go back to your ISP.    The installer will get punished (assuming he didn't do the job) and you'll eventually get what you want.

Unless you have $$$ to burn, of course.

Again....  There's two the reasons why (and only those reasons)....  in case you're thinking this is some type of "NBN conspiracy" (which it isn't).

• One is your ISP being an @#%#@
  • The other is a fault with your line, which will be repaired if you tell your ISP.

If your ISP doesn't want to lodge the fault ticket with the owner of the phone line (likely Telstra) to say there's a line problem .....  then you know which one it is (it's the second) .... the reason is that if the ISP logs the fault with Telstra for a broken line, which isn't a broken line then Telstra charges the ISP $$$.

Thanks, I’ll lodge a request in the short term. 

24 minutes ago, PKay said:

Thanks, I’ll lodge a request in the short term. 

I suspect they won't want to lodge the fault with Telstra, and then you'll have your answer as to what's going on.  ;) 

If your issues was really a faulty line, it would be slow and likely also very unreliable.

If it's just really slow (especially in peak times), then your ISP has pulled out most of their bandwidth allocation from ADSL in your area.

7 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

I suspect they won't want to lodge the fault with Telstra, and then you'll have your answer as to what's going on.  ;) 

If your issues was really a faulty line, it would be slow and likely also very unreliable.

If it's just really slow (especially in peak times), then your ISP has pulled out most of their bandwidth allocation from ADSL in your area.

I think the line is fine. Optus must have cut their cost by pulling back on their band width allocation. The speed is the same at peak and off peak. 

Telstra cut off my cable accidentally and because NBN is in the street they say they can't reconnect the cable service, I went wireless 4G, but that has slowly degraded to a point where it is nigh impossible to stream at certain times of the day, so trying to access NBn via a different ISP. (I will not touch Telstra again if I can help it).

11 hours ago, PKay said:

I think the line is fine. Optus must have cut their cost by pulling back on their band width allocation. The speed is the same at peak and off peak. 

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Telstra cut off my cable accidentally and because NBN is in the street they say they can't reconnect the cable service, I went wireless 4G, but that has slowly degraded to a point where it is nigh impossible to stream at certain times of the day, so trying to access NBn via a different ISP. (I will not touch Telstra again if I can help it).

Someone needs to control these cowboys.  Can't you report them for doing this?  Surely they are breaching their contract with you.

1 hour ago, Batty said:

Oh dear!  Thank you for alerting me to a potential issue.  I have Telstra cable and they have been good (a first for me to say a Telstra service is good!!!) .  To date, Telstra have been responsive to fixing issues.  BUT NBN is currently working out in the streets and we will get NBN soon.  

19 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Ask your old ISP for a price for just keeping your email address active.   $30 per year last time I checked.

Then you can configure the old address to forward everything to the new address (Eg. gmail).

Then make a rule in gmail to highlight or star everything which arrived forwarded on from the old email account .... then then that gives you a "to do list" of which ones you need to update.  :thumb:

Yes, if they'll do it, I'll be set.         

23 hours ago, PKay said:

Yes, of course, you did mention Optus didn't you.

Optus are well known for doing this.    They have an incredibly aggressive policy of migrating their customers to the NBN..... and for aggressively managing the bandwidth in their network.

ie.   <in my best optus voice>   "Oooo, NBN is active in area X.   Force all customers to move to NBN ASAP, and turn down to minimum all bandwidth allocated to non-NBN services."

That being said, many other ISPs do the same.  Optus are just big, so when they do stuff, more people notice/complain.

13 hours ago, Batty said:

Telstra cut off my cable accidentally and because NBN is in the street they say they can't reconnect the cable service

The customer rep you spoke to you likely isn't lying (he can't) .. but whether Telstra actually could depends on the details.

If you have NBN available, just move to it.   Internet via NBN HFC will be better and the same price, than Telstra Cable Internet .... and more opportunity to choose other price points that we're available to you via Telstra Cable.