Wimbo

The wonderful NBN.

Posted (edited)
On 25/04/2019 at 1:48 PM, betty boop said:

yes sadly isp in inlaws case as mentioned were no help...

id say be 50/50 whether slab or stumped ...

hope can get a better tech. otherwise like brother in law did for inlaws... a network cable to get by and pay for own as suggested by isp... 

unfortunately when comes to nbn... and not just talking about installation... as it all sorta begins from there ... can involve number of parties ... from installer (could be/most likely a 3rd party), ISP... could be a call centre and accounts to most of it, an actual network provider eg telstra... and then the NBN behemoth on top of that..

in our case was all that... and it took months and months of complaining before all sorted. we still have work happening (as late as last week) though as more and more come on line.. in my case for instance I was told by the installer (the guys down the street plumbing) outright that what they were putting in was not good enough(no one listens doing what paid to do)...been pushing since we got ours ages ago now and just goes to show amount of persistence required to get some action. most will just give up ....and I think its what these behemoths like nbn hope and work on ...

Just had NBN installer here today, went with Aussie Broadband and waited around till 4pm and had to go out.

Left strict instructions with eldest son for installing outlet in our study where 2 computers are. 

Son rings and says guy can't put there as where our Optus internet cable is .

Tried to argue but by the time got home it had been connected to 20 year old Foxtel wall socket in lounge.

Guy said he had to connect that and no buts about it!

Didn't even have a ladder, had to borrow ours!

So now have an extra 2 mains connections for modem and router to add to the 18 appliances already connected - crazy amount running 7.1 HT and stereo system plus Fetch, apple tv Box. Etc.

Luckily I ran an Ethernet cable under the house from the study to lounge so will have to reverse that and connect with the computers.

Edited by evil c

42 minutes ago, evil c said:

Just had NBN installer here today, went with Aussie Broadband and waited around till 4pm and had to go out.

Left strict instructions with eldest son for installing outlet in our study where 2 computers are. 

Son rings and says guy can't put there as where our Optus internet cable is .

Tried to argue but by the time got home it had been connected to 20 year old Foxtel wall socket in lounge.

Guy said he had to connect that and no buts about it!

Didn't even have a ladder, had to borrow ours!

So now have an extra 2 mains connections for modem and router to add to the 18 appliances already connected - crazy amount running 7.1 HT and stereo system plus Fetch, apple tv Box. Etc.

Luckily I ran an Ethernet cable under the house from the study to lounge so will have to reverse that and connect with the computers.

thats just crazy so didnt even bother to put a new socket in !  hard ot believe no ladder ! crazy ! where do they fond these characters from ! 

there seems to be something about lounge rooms ! mine is in lounge room. in laws in the lounge room. my dads in the lounge room ! no matter where we might want it ! 

good you got a cable run already evil ! 

good you are on nbn... hope all is sorted once hooked up  :) 

thats just crazy so didnt even bother to put a new socket in !  hard ot believe no ladder ! crazy ! where do they fond these characters from ! 

there seems to be something about lounge rooms ! mine is in lounge room. in laws in the lounge room. my dads in the lounge room ! no matter where we might want it ! 

good you got a cable run already evil ! 

good you are on nbn... hope all is sorted once hooked up   
Yeah I was just starting to arc up and launch into him when he said all done, thanks my son for help,( for holding ladder and being so compliant most probably) then bolted.
Apparently 10th install today !!
Must be raking in the cash.

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Must be raking in the cash.

No way he’s raking in the ash.He’s contractor that’s why he’s doing ten installs a day.He would be making 2/5ths of sweet FA.I know as was a Telstra contractor once.

No way he’s raking in the ash.He’s contractor that’s why he’s doing ten installs a day.He would be making 2/5ths of sweet FA.I know as was a Telstra contractor once.
Well he's certainly doing a lot of installations and he gets paid per job so making more than someone doing 5.
Whatever , he lied or deceived and did a substandard job - will be complaining tomorrow!

Pay good money per month for a shonky connection, that Foxtel box outside he opened up and connected to was empty as we disconnected 20 years ago and quite frankly I'm incredulous at his audacity with manipulating the truth!

I feel for you @evil c. I refused to take their crap and sent him away. Installer reported to NBN I refused installation when in fact I refused installation to the installers easiest location. It has now been labelled a non standard installation and I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay somebody to run ethernet to my living room from the HT equipment room. Unfortunately this is acroos the ground floor ceiling of a double story part of the house, so not simple and may result in holes in the ceiling...

This has reminded me to organise a cable guy as I'm rebooked for the 11th May.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I feel for you @evil c. I refused to take their crap and sent him away. Installer reported to NBN I refused installation when in fact I refused installation to the installers easiest location. It has now been labelled a non standard installation and I'm just going to have to suck it up and pay somebody to run ethernet to my living room from the HT equipment room. Unfortunately this is acroos the ground floor ceiling of a double story part of the house, so not simple and may result in holes in the ceiling...

This has reminded me to organise a cable guy as I'm rebooked for the 11th May.

Well you've got to be resilient and roll with the punches in this World - Neil.

I've vented via email to Aussie then plugged in modem/ router and connected to it with a few devices.

Son via wifi has done a test at my request,  Optus download speed is 30.62MBS, Aussie is 48 MBS

Upload 1.75 vs. 19.2 MBS so considerably better and up and running straight after install so I'm a lot happier now!

As mentioned very lucky I put in an Ethernet cable under the house can connect computers to. 

But shows how powerless we are with these installers, even forewarned like I was!

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, evil c said:

As mentioned very lucky I put in an Ethernet cable under the house can connect computers to. 

Yes you are and with regard to cabling, lucky to be able to get under the house, I'm on a slab .

I have an Ethernet run from my equipment room to the study but internet is currently travelling to the equipment room from the study (modem location). After some extra thinking about things, if I put the nbn modem in my equipment room and a switch in my study (where my Ethernet cabling is meant to branch out from) and 1 extra patch lead, I don't need any extra cabling done, it's just a hoch poch of a network that you would never do from scratch, but workable...

Can't believe I didn't think of this before. I guess I just wanted it done right, rather than finding a work around solution.

Edited by blybo

Yes you are and with regard to cabling, lucky to be able to get under the house, I'm on a slab .

I have an Ethernet run from my equipment room to the study but internet is currently travelling to the equipment room from the study (modem location). After some extra thinking about things, if I put the nbn modem in my equipment room and a switch in my study (where my Ethernet cabling is meant to branch out from) and 1 extra patch lead, I don't need any extra cabling done, it's just a hoch poch of a network that you would never do from scratch, but workable...

Can't believe I didn't think of this before. I guess I just wanted it done right, rather than finding a work around solution.
Sounds like a plan , glad to hear you can resolve - too hard dealing with uncooperative entities!

My accountant told me guys showed up to his business unannounced and started Jack hammering up concrete near his front door.
Then told him too hard so wouldn't be able to install.

Took him over 6 months pestering companies, who all denied being involved.
Tried threatening with CCTV footage proving guys were from a certain company then he heard they had labelled him hostile so had abandoned him.

Took a client of his with NBN friend to get it resolved.
All while his clients had to traverse a crator taped off near his door!

This just as bad a situation as the pick batts fiasco, homes may not burn down but some people older people need guaranteed phone line and aren't aware if internet goes out, their phone drops out too. I'm told installers are getting $120 per installation so your bloke had a very good day, and they are rarely suppyling ducting so it's just their time.

Your accountant tells a familiar theme. We had them show up and dig up a trench at our shopping strip making entry to 6 or 7 shops impossible, all without notice! Luckily they only had to dig ours up 3 times to get it right... and this is on a shopping strip that was re-paved only 18 months previously.

43 minutes ago, evil c said:

Sounds like a plan , glad to hear you can resolve - too hard dealing with uncooperative entities!

My accountant told me guys showed up to his business unannounced and started Jack hammering up concrete near his front door.
Then told him too hard so wouldn't be able to install.

Took him over 6 months pestering companies, who all denied being involved.
Tried threatening with CCTV footage proving guys were from a certain company then he heard they had labelled him hostile so had abandoned him.

Took a client of his with NBN friend to get it resolved.
All while his clients had to traverse a crator taped off near his door!

not great they dug up all over our street.... even though we have pits and trenches ! and with us even showing them where the pits are numerous times.... made a mess of peoples front yards stuffed cement and gravel all over gardens killing everything underneath. We have had to pay for all that to remedy ...

I am reading about this with interest and some worries, as my is just about ready to be connected.   One thing, I have ethernet cables to quite a few rooms in my house, but I find I am just not using them anymore.  Everything, even Netflix, seems to run fine from Wifi.   Is it time to stop worrying about hard wiring?

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Is it time to stop worrying about hard wiring?

Really depends on quite a few factors ...  I think we will be perpetually living in a time when wireless is enough for some and not for others.

It's almost certain that higher speeds of wireless will be shorter frequencies, and so won't penetrate walls and distance as well as current standards.    So you'll need more radios around the house, and ideally each of those connect with a cable back to a central switch  (rather than the extra radios being just "repeaters").

I would always cable a house, if the opportunity presented.

3 hours ago, blybo said:

We had them show up and dig up a trench at our shopping strip making entry to 6 or 7 shops impossible, all without notice! 

Lawyer up.  This seems like a slam dunk.

3 hours ago, blybo said:

and aren't aware if internet goes out, their phone drops out too.

Their service provider are under a very serious obligation to make them aware of this... and explain alternatives for people who need it.

Big drawback of moving away from the original NBN design, which had all that figured out  (ie. phones which work independently from the internet/ISP... work in a power outage.... and can call 000)

We have had to pay for all that to remedy ...

NBN subcontractors had to dig a ~15m trench around my front lawn.   Left it in a pretty bad state, with pretty dirty fill (rocks/weeds) used to finish the trench.

Complained ...  they came back, and fixed it (actually I think it might have been another mob)

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I am reading about this with interest and some worries, as my is just about ready to be connected.   One thing, I have ethernet cables to quite a few rooms in my house, but I find I am just not using them anymore.  Everything, even Netflix, seems to run fine from Wifi.   Is it time to stop worrying about hard wiring?

Not if you use Roon or tidal. Ethernet is more reliable in that scenario. Hence why I need Ethernet from my study to living room

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

some things I wire.... streaming, media, firmware updates all that you want to be wired...

wireless is great for surfing... casual stuff. watching the odd thing on youtube and such but I have things like media streamers. anything that needs firmware updates hard wired...