The wonderful NBN.

4 hours ago, Benje said:

The AV hub is in the middle of the bottom floor, and is fed the telephone connection from outside, and the TV aerial from the roof (with a powered mast head amplifier ie with power, inside the hub.  It will be close to 10 metres of feed, perhaps more, especially if the up to ceiling and down to panel is counted.  But it should follow the path of the existing Telstra feed. And should be less than the 20 metres you mentioned.

Yes, this sounds quite standard.   Especially if it's following existing wiring.

4 hours ago, Benje said:

I'll speak with Adam

They will tell you that the installer will have to decide  (which is correct)

Adam will be able to provide you with the info about what rules you'll have to comply with (so you can figure out how close it looks before the installer comes)

If the installer doesn't want to do it (and you think he should) ... then you need to go back to your ISP, who will complain to NBN.

4 hours ago, blybo said:

I've got HFC NBN 50Mbps connected to all of my AV and 2ch devices by cat 5 but still struggle to stream Netflix to 2 devices at once, and yes I do have a premium Netflix subscription.

Check that nothing else in your house is using the internet

Run a speed test form ookla

Talk to your ISP who help check if something is wrong

Get a better ISP

3 hours ago, Primare Knob said:

It looks like I am unlucky to have a line that is able to meat the minimum requirements.

Yes... the vast majority of people can get well over 25mbps.

If your neighbours have a mini-node   .... then I'd be hoping my own line would get just a little bit worse, so I could get a mini-node too  ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now this looks like promising news if true

This has always been on NBN roadmap.   It's a trial of the upgrade process, for two purposes.

Figure out the upgrade process so it can be costed better for later projects to lift the minimum NBN speed - whether it's a user pays (like the current "tech choice program") or whether it be a taxpayers pay (NBN v2) ..... or just to use it as an alternate case when putting the argument to sell NBN.

The other purpose, is there are people here and there on copper lines which don't meet the 12/25 mbps minimum speed guarantee.    NBN has to do something about that.... If the fix for a user isn't simple, then it's just as cost effective to upgrade them completely.

The protocol discussed in the video gfast, mgfast ....  can also be used in the future to upgrade everybody (depending on their wiring quality) to faster speeds.

Relatively short copper lengths running DSL today (FTTC and perhaps some FTTN) could even reach terabits per second (a million megabit per second) .... and fibre optical cables can carry petabits per second (a thousand million megabits per second).

There is no technology problem.  Only an economics problem, and a power problem.    Who pays for the network?   Who decides how the network is designed and regulated? .... and who determines how much profit comes from operating the network (and what that profit is spent on - eg. is it reinvested into the network?).

• Like 1

On 21/05/2019 at 4:08 PM, blybo said:

I've got HFC NBN 50Mbps connected to all of my AV and 2ch devices by cat 5 but still struggle to stream Netflix to 2 devices at once, and yes I do have a premium Netflix subscription. 

We've got the NBN coming in 2021-2 I dread it, all my friends who have the NBN say 50Mbps " sometimes 60Mbps" is the fastest they get even on premium speed.

For the last 5 years with Optus Cable, I've got 100-110Mbps constant, which can drop to 90Mbps in the late afternoon, uploads a different story, the best I get is 2-3Mbps.

This is what it is right now.

Cheers George 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Edited by georgehifi

5 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

For the last 5 years with Optus Cable, I've got 100-110Mbps constant, which can drop to 90Mbps in the late afternoon, uploads a different story, the best I get is 2-3Mbps.

Do you have to get rid of Optus cable then?

5 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Apparently I'm forced to go NBN the Optus cable outside will be taken down I was told.

Have a look above I added what my speed is right now.

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

3 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Apparently I'm forced to go NBN the Optus cable outside will be taken down I was told.

Have a look above I added what my speed is right now.

Cheers George

Sheesh, I wouldn't want to lose that either!  Yep, you won't get that on the NBN.  I see your frustration.  What a dog's breakfast.

We had an outage just after midnight Friday night on our new nbn connection. Apparently all up and working again in our street by early Saturday, but not our house and I was unaware as at work... Have to wait till Wednesday for technician to come have a look :emot-bang:

I was planning to do some work from home this afternoon on a desktop computer there that has some legacy software I need occasionally. Instead I'll be going home for lunch and lugging the computer to the office with me.

Apparently this is progress in the 21st century9_9.

• Like 1

Guest vagabond

They've recently finished laying fibre down both sides of our street, at which point they moved the goalposts out by a further three months (they do that every three months like clockwork). Now October to December 2019. 

Same situation here.

When we moved into our current premises in May 2017 the connection date was October 2017.

Still waiting.

Current date is Jan-March 2020

Edited by bmc

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2019 at 8:47 AM, georgehifi said:

We've got the NBN coming in 2021-2 I dread it, all my friends who have the NBN say 50Mbps " sometimes 60Mbps" is the fastest they get even on premium speed.

They need to find a better ISP.   NBN in old cable areas  can go up to 100 down and 40 up.

On 03/06/2019 at 8:53 AM, Kaynin said:

Yes, optus sold their cable network to us.... which was a bad deal for us (as it is not good enough for NBN) .... so we're going to replace it with FTTC.

On 03/06/2019 at 9:05 AM, Kaynin said:

Sheesh, I wouldn't want to lose that either!  Yep, you won't get that on the NBN.  I see your frustration.  What a dog's breakfast.

Yes you will.   :|
You'll get the same download speed, and 40x faster upload speed.

.... although since last year, the equipment being installed for this part of the NBN are capable of 10x download speeds and 400x upload speeds (1000mbps / 400mbps) .... I've just noticed they're signalling to start turning this on in Q1 2020.

17 hours ago, Batty said:

I have given up on Telstra supplying me with NBN, 5 attempts and 5 failures.

Connect via 4G through Optus now, 500Gb plan for $80 per month.

Steve, this unfortunately is the level of service consumers get when you outsource everything.  The big T hasn't done itself any favours despite their new T22 strategy which is apparently supposed to be all about the new digital connectivity age and customer service. ?

Hopefully you will have more ongoing joy with Optus.  

My recent experience with iiNet hasn't been the best either.  Firstly it looks like support has now been outsourced to the Philippines.  They screwed up the first ticket of work, then a call to their Cape Town operations centre got a bit of progress but still significant issues.  Now finally after 19 days they have got the email working again and restored our website.  In the interim it's cost the business thousands of dollars in lost revenue and generated a whole pile of angry clients who have not been getting any response to emails for almost three weeks.  Some thought they might have some success by attempting to contact us through our website portal, but alas iiNet not only trashed all our domain email boxes but our domain and website as well. ?

One client called me on my mobile to ask me if we had gone out of business.  That's when I discovered our website had disappeared.  How did all this happen?  Well apparently there was some sort of stuff up with the domain hosting mob (which I understand are part of iiNet as iiNet take the money from us).  They "accidentally" cancelled our domain thereby "breaking" all the links to it.  Fortunately only the hosting part is with iiNet and the registration is with MelbourneIT otherwise if someone wanted our domain name we'd really have been up the creek without a paddle.  :(

So service for which you pay up front for isn't what it used to be. :( Welcome to the brave new world of communications.

Cheers,

Alan R. 

Edited by Monkeyboi

Various problems Dave, Tech not turning up to Telstra screwing up the order and the like.

Given up with NBN for the duration of my 2 year 4G contract.

If we have it bad in the city, I do feel sorry for the people in the country requiring satellite access. Another story of woe

https://www.theage.com.au/national/i-promised-you-dollars-you-promised-me-internet-a-tale-of-nbn-woe-20190620-p51zlt.html

I am due sometime this year, dreading it as I am likely to go backwards from a very good, fast Telstra cable service... ? 

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

47 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

If we have it bad in the city, I do feel sorry for the people in the country requiring satellite access. Another story of woe

https://www.theage.com.au/national/i-promised-you-dollars-you-promised-me-internet-a-tale-of-nbn-woe-20190620-p51zlt.html

I am due sometime this year, dreading it as I am likely to go backwards from a very good, fast Telstra cable service... ? 

None of that is news in the country, it isn't just confined to the second rate NBN services either. It's 2019 and V Line has just stopped serving hot tea and coffee on the service between Albury and Wangaratta as the train line is in such poor condition that they are having too many staff and customers scald themselves from spills. 

I gave up on my SkyMesh service after 2 months as I could get an Optus 4G+ service at twice the speed, 3 times the data allowance and half the price

• Like 2

15 hours ago, proftournesol said:

None of that is news in the country, it isn't just confined to the second rate NBN services either. It's 2019 and V Line has just stopped serving hot tea and coffee on the service between Albury and Wangaratta as the train line is in such poor condition that they are having too many staff and customers scald themselves from spills. 

Why aren’t you in the Tesla?   :P

15 hours ago, proftournesol said:

I gave up on my SkyMesh service after 2 months as I could get an Optus 4G+ service at twice the speed, 3 times the data allowance and half the price

Optus 4G is awesome.  Now if they had a tower close by I wouldn’t even consider FTTC.   Just use a mobile device with Optus 4G...   which means if there’s a blackout like yesterday I’m still on line and can make phone calls....and it it doesn’t drop out 2 times a day!

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Why aren’t you in the Tesla?   :P

Optus 4G is awesome.  Now if they had a tower close by I wouldn’t even consider FTTC.   Just use a mobile device with Optus 4G...   which means if there’s a blackout like yesterday I’m still on line and can make phone calls....and it it doesn’t drop out 2 times a day!

I have a 4G+ tower about 300m away from my place, it's lightly used (apart from by me?). Download speeds never slower than 20Mbps, almost always closer to 100Mbps.

25 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

I have a 4G+ tower about 300m away from my place, it's lightly used (apart from by me?). Download speeds never slower than 20Mbps, almost always closer to 100Mbps.

Now you think that such an infrastructure such as a LTE 4G mobile tower giving you download speeds of up to 100Mbps  on a standard 4G device,  the question remains how it’s only  300mtrs away, why can’t they hook the entire community with this service using that same wired infrastructure?  

Edited by Addicted to music

26 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Now you think that such an infrastructure such as a LTE 4G mobile tower giving you download speeds of up to 100Mbps  on a standard 4G device,  the question remains how it’s only  300mtrs away, why can’t they hook the entire community with this service using that same wired infrastructure?  

...because if I was in the middle of an urban area I wouldn't be getting those speeds. It's probably the first infrastructure advantage I've come across since I moved to the country. Satellite is pretty poor NBN, despite it being a 'technological marvel'. We just don't want to spend the money

8 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

...because if I was in the middle of an urban area I wouldn't be getting those speeds. It's probably the first infrastructure advantage I've come across since I moved to the country. Satellite is pretty poor NBN, despite it being a 'technological marvel'. We just don't want to spend the money

https://www.9news.com.au/national/5g-australia-how-the-fifth-generation-cellular-network-will-affect-me-national-news/8d851367-b3a9-4957-85b0-0c0a4e2b802b

we are 59th in the world when it comes to internet speeds, beaten by Kosovo on 53th place! even Malta is better!  Top spot goes to Singapore.  However we are 5th with LTE on mobile devices......

Thanks to Tony Abbott.....and his cronies.............. 5G looks promising, but lets be grateful for what we have.

Edited by Addicted to music