Wimbo

The wonderful NBN.

It looked like I was gonna miss out on the crap,but no, I've copped it.

I'm advised I'm getting FTTC.

In 2017, I was told March, April 2018 for connection.

This passed. In June/July I saw the boys come down my street and replace all the pits as well as putting the backbone in.

I asked a couple of them, "What does this mean" and they advise me , maybe 4 months odd and it should be connected.

I checked the Roll Out time frame and sure enough, it said December 2018.

GREAT.

That came and went and I kept checking and rang and was advised of a small hold up but connection should be soon.

Now, everyone in my street is connected, (12 Houses) except me and my next door neighbour.

We have now been advised, July 2020. I was furious. I try to never complain and just cop it up the Jaxy but this made me see red.

I sent them a complaint and today waited 40 minutes to be told its a house by house situation and my place has problems with access.

I asked, "Can I please talk to someone who has their finger more on the pulse" and was told, NO.

I'm confused. I have connection and use ADSL2, 7meg down (wow) and they can't connect me for 18 months? WTF.

Can someone please advise how I can attack this problem and dispatch all that are in the way?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Tomorrow I will be writing my local member and telling him how much of a disappointment Turnbull was.

Any other forms of attack?

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Exciting isn't     😜

I ride motorbikes and used to do 400ks a week on a bicycle in Sydney peakhour putting me in five different hospitals mate, that exciting. This is more like getting a gun and going and seeing whoever is organizing this and getting compensation.

There may be various logistical reasons why you and your neighbour missed out.

1. You're on the wrong side of the street.  NBN service areas often don't match up with the existing Telstra network areas.
  2. You and your neighbour are connected on a copper cable installed in the street that is directly buried in the ground rather than run through a conduit or duct.
  3. If the street cable is in a conduit (not the conduit on your property) there is a possibility it's too small a diameter for NBN to draw their optical fibre cable through it with an existing copper cable in-situ.
  4. NBN have incorrectly estimated the number of services required in your street or area which has resulted in poor planning of the FTTC.

In the case of 2 and or 3 above, NBN will need to provision a conduit in which to haul their optical fibre cable through.  So if they say 2020 that's a distinct possibility.  I empathise with your predicament.

Cheers,

Alan R.

Edited by Monkeyboi
added extra words for clarity

We had NBN installed at work (it's to all intents and purposes a house, repurposed as professional rooms). There was a delay as NBN had to apply to the Council for a permit to dig up the footpath to complete the installation at our particular address. This wasn't required for the rest of the street, and, we had to wait for Council to process it.

3 hours ago, proftournesol said:

This wasn't required for the rest of the street, and, we had to wait for Council to process it.

So you waited a year and a half?

42 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

So you waited a year and a half?

No, 2 months. You may have a problem that's out of NBN's control though

11 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

No, 2 months. You may have a problem that's out of NBN's control though

/Sigh

7 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Any other forms of attack?

You do know that someone has to go last, right?!

Without knowing the exact reason, it's difficult to judge....  but it sounds pretty reasonable/normal to me. 

7 hours ago, Wimbo said:

my place has problems with access.

Not at all uncommon.   Some of the problems aren't super quick fixes either - when they're often only discover when people get on the ground and have a look.

7 hours ago, Wimbo said:

Can someone please advise how I can attack this problem and dispatch all that are in the way?

Wait, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Wimbo said:

PS. Tomorrow I will be writing my local member and telling him how much of a disappointment Turnbull was.

I agree the "MTM" style NBN is a mistake .... but not because of the type of issue you have here (they can happen on any/all technology types).

When we first had NBN announced as ready for service in our area, nobody on my block could get a working connection due to a fault further up in the network.   This left us all without internet for ~6 months, as all of the DSL providers had already stopped providing DSL in the area..... I'd call up Telstra (or whoever) looking for a DSL service, and they'd say "you need to get NBN" .... "no, NBN doesn't work in my area".    It was 2014 so it was still fairly slow 3G (a few mbps up/down).

At my next house, we got skipped as it was not possible to bring in fibre through the existing conduit... and the span was too long to deliver aerial fibre (good thing too, the other side of the steet has that, and it looks stink).    Anyways, so ~9 months later, we finally get a new conduit laid all the way through out property.

8 hours ago, Wimbo said:

I asked, "Can I please talk to someone who has their finger more on the pulse" and was told, NO

Was this with your ISP, or NBN?   What didn't they know/tell, that you thought they should have?     This strategy (without a more specific request) was never bound to get you very far.    If there's something you want to look further into, PM your address and I can see what I can dig up. 

31 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

You may have a problem that's out of NBN's control though

Well.... all problems are "within NBNs control" here per se. .... but you might mean a problem than "NBN didn't cause".   They find it when they go out investigationing.... and then have to schedule time to remediate it.