Addicted to music

NBN ISP decision time

OK here we go down the rabbit hole......

ABOUT FRIIGIN TIME,  I am NBN ready!  😱  😜 😌

Theres one tiny issue;  I now have a smorgasbord of ISP to select from!!!!    I’m currently with Iprimus for ADSL 2+ becuase that’s all that I can get cheaply in the area as Optus and all the major player  won’t be seen in 2007 apart from Telstra and the rest was to use 4G and that was Telstra recommendations too as there were limited aDSL  ports available.  

Ive narrowed it to TPG and Exetel.  Because it’s FTTC,  there is a max theoretical 100/40 speed.   We’ll be looking at unlimited becuase the kids do all sorts of stupid resource hungry stuff especially my son who  uploads 10GB  of data to certain sites a day!   

Looking at no lock in contracts and can leave at a push of a button.   

Anyone using TPG or Exetel have any thoughts?    Even if you’ve moved from them, and what was the transitional stage like from ADSL?

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

ABOUT FRIIGIN TIME,  I am NBN ready!  😱  😜 😌

Thought you were never getting it?!   😛 

Anyone using TPG or Exetel have any thoughts?    Even if you’ve moved from them, and what was the transitional stage like from ADSL?

I've used both, and had customers on both ISPs.  Customer support is average to below average.

What is important to you for you internet?

Unlimited downloads

No contract

.... and?    Price? (Do you have a budget in mind?)   Technical support?   High speeds, even in peak times?

Looking at no lock in contracts and can leave at a push of a button.

If you find an ISP plan you like, which is on a contract, it is often worth calling and asking for that same plan .... with no contract, and see if they will bend.

what was the transitional stage like from ADSL?

Hard to generalise.    If there are issues, then the ISP support process/skill can be very important for a quite resolution.

I am also ready for NBN but I am locked with existing supplier until March so still 2 months to go but  keen to find out which service provider would be ideal so definitely following this thread....

@davewantsmoore Any recommendation for NBN provider based on great pricing ($70 per month or below), Good tech support. Reliable Line. High Speed during peak time is not essential since we are not streaming all the time but watching Youtube  videos often and browse internet but hate internet gets down or gets very slow during peak time either. :) 

To start... I got a info brochure in my mail box yesterday from Optus and deal is as below;

Optus

+ $70/mth, No lock-in contract (Min. total cost for first month is $270 with $200 upfront costs)

+ Unlimited data on nbn or broadband (45.5 Mbps Typical Evening Speed 7pm-11pm)

+ Including home phone line (Pay As You Go call rates apply)

Not sure if this is good deal though. 

13 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Thought you were never getting it?!   😛 

You and me both.....🤣

14 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

What is important to you for you internet?

Unlimited downloads

No contract

.... and?    Price? (Do you have a budget in mind?)   Technical support?   High speeds, even in peak times?

Unlimited downloads 

No contract 

both boxes must be ticked.   

Budget, well I'm paying $118 on ADSL 2+ with iprimus because of the area.  So anything below has to be a plus.   Going to ditched VOIP as no one uses the line anymore.   And I have find my idevice for someone stupidly forgetful in my old age so I can locate my phone!

i guess Im Gonna have to signed up with TPG/Excetel b4 I ditch iprimus when it's nbn online.

8 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

To start... I got a info brochure in my mail box yesterday from Optus and deal is as below;

Optus

+ $70/mth, No lock-in contract (Min. total cost for first month is $270 with $200 upfront costs)

+ Unlimited data on nbn or broadband (45.5 Mbps Typical Evening Speed 7pm-11pm)

+ Including home phone line (Pay As You Go call rates apply)

Not sure if this is good deal though. 

I got the same, so I checked with the nbn website and sure enough it's ready for the address.  I'd steer away from Optus ATM simply because a family member had all sorts of issues with them, and then paid them out full to get out of the contract that's why I always opt for no contracts month-month only.

I had TPG ADSL some time back and ported to another ISP. The transition was effortless and painless, but that was years ago. We still have some services with TPG today, and we never have anything to complain about them what-so-ever. Guess we are lucky with them (less so with the ISP we ported to though 😒).

If you haven't check out Aussie Broadband, I highly recommend you give them a look. Very happy with their NBN plan and cvc policy. 

I've been with Exetel on the 100Mbps unlimited no contract plan for the last 6 months or so. The only hiccup I had was with the VOIP setup, but if you're not getting that, it should be smooth sailing. Peak time download speeds are consistently above 70Mbps, and typically above 80Mbps. No line downtime experienced, but the ZTE router they supply does not handle heavy loads very gracefully - I'd recommend to look for something better (I'm about to start looking too).

The reliability of service may be area dependent, so don't rely exclusively on my experience... But in the end all providers use the same network and the only practical difference is how quickly your individual issues are resolved, should any arise.

4 hours ago, Spider27 said:

@davewantsmoore Any recommendation for NBN provider based on great pricing ($70 per month or below)

Fast

Lots of data

Cheap

Choose two ;)

In short, you can get unlimited data on about 50mbps for ~$70 .... but it's not going to run at 50mbps all day and all night, and you'll probably have 'cheap' customer service.   Aussie Broadband are pretty good, if they service your area.