anewmission

Elac ub5 vs Kef ls50 or wait for Elac carina?

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which of these pairs of speakers sound beat to you and why.

I want to buy something for a smaller room in my house. Where i actually listen to most of my music and watch most of my tv

unnamed.jpg.41a34a810f68182985f72e8bf3f3dbf2.jpgelac carina just announced[url=https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_2019_01/images.jpeg.b66b13d480b08e2ad62b9a4f9fe98d2c.jpeg]images.jpeg.b66b13d480b08e2ad62b9a4f9fe98d2c.jpeg[/url]1096628598_unnamed20(1).jpg.5006d7711768ce61f36ba43742660e0f.jpg

Kef ls 50

16 minutes ago, anewmission said:

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on which of these pairs of speakers sound beat to you and why.

Hi anewmission. Ultimately it doesn't matter which speakers we prefer or sound best to us, as we don't have to live with them. Are you not in a position to audition them? Possibly you could include a budget, as some may have ideas that you have not considered.

I would like to hear the Carina as it has a ribbon tweeter. I personally enjoy ribbons, but you may not.

I quite like ribbons. My budget is 2k.
I dont really mind the size of the speakers as long as they arent as big as floorstanders. I think ns1000 size os the biggest i would go.
Looking for clarity, something that will sit on stands. I dont mind using a sub with them either but i would prefer not to.

Elac is substantially cheaper than ls50. Haven’t heard Elac but they wouldn’t be in the  same league.

I think the Quad S2s from memory are are around that much, sound great and have a ribbon tweeter.

i heard them in store and was very impressed 

If these will sit on stands, floorstanders shouldn't take up any more space. What amp you use will certainly be a consideration as well.

Elac is substantially cheaper than ls50. Haven’t heard Elac but they wouldn’t be in the  same league.
The elac carinas will be about 1200usd so around the same price as the ls50.
The guy that is designing these elacs now is supposed to be a big deal in the hifi world. I cant remember his name though but all the reviews i read had his name all over them.

21 minutes ago, anewmission said:

The elac carinas will be about 1200usd so around the same price as the ls50.
The guy that is designing these elacs now is supposed to be a big deal in the hifi world. I cant remember his name though but all the reviews i read had his name all over them.

Andrew Jones is his name, speaker design is his game.

This is just my opinion but the LS50s are terrible - I had a listen at 2 different stores as they had a lot of WAF and I was after small speakers. They come up for sale far more than any other speaker on these forums.

Don't buy a pair before you have a really good long listen.

Edited by PKay