Mongolian Metal with Traditional Folk Instruments and Throat Singing

• Volunteer

http://www.openculture.com/2019/01/the-hu-a-new-breakthrough-band-from-mongolia-plays-heavy-metal-with-traditional-folk-instruments-and-throat-singing.html

Maybe you’re jaded, maybe you think it’s time for heavy metal to finally hang up its spikes, maybe you think there’s nowhere else for the world’s most theatrically angry music to go but maybe bluegrass…. Or maybe Mongolia, where folk metal band The Hu have been inventing what they call “Hunnu Rock,” a style combining Western headbanging with instruments like the horsehead fiddle (morin khuur) and Mongolian guitar (tovshuur)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Very interesting, seems to be more folk/metal coming from Europe too. 

I've never heard any other contemporary Mongolian music.  They add a new dimension to the Death Metal Growl.

They seem to know what they're doing, nice production and videos.

Thanks once again Sir Sanders.

Indeed Sir Zing --good find!-- I love the grunt the  bass lines?-sort of a Tuvan (heavy!)version of Redbone.

American "Pop Culture" probably first became aware of Tuvan Throat singing via Paul Pena( Genghis Blues)

who wrote the Steve Miller and hit Jet Airliner.

Dadwa1.jpg

Although she is Chinese Dadawa has also experimented with the Mongolian technique on Disc

Excerpts from--this record was used by David Wilson to voice his Speakers.

Willco

• Like 2

I also came across The Hu when I was browsing on youtube recently. Kind of fun, although my tastes tend rather more towards the traditional.

Chinese/Inner Mongolian band Hanggai seem to be trending in a similar direction to some degree, although I don't think I could describe them as heavy metal. I saw them at Womadelaide a while back, and they were a lot of fun.

I just found this clip on youtube. Seems to be a sort of Chinese/Mongolian version of 'The Voice'. Starts out fairly acoustic, then gets a bit heavier later on. 

• 3 years later...

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed the video's, not altogether sure of the 'Metal' classification though.

Found this a few years ago for a fiver, quite good actually though again, not Metal.

Coincidence that the first track is by Xiao Hu, track 6 Haar Hu. Maybe the precursor of Hu. (Dur?)

Just spotted the horse-head, two stringed, bowed instrument from the vid's on the cover. The big round faced guy looks familiar too.

20220520_184035.thumb.jpg.46d15626bda05bbe6652a98781653c87.jpg

Edited by Grimmie

On 20/05/2022 at 8:17 PM, Grimmie said:

Enjoyed the video's, not altogether sure of the 'Metal' classification though.

Found this a few years ago for a fiver, quite good actually though again, not Metal.

Coincidence that the first track is by Xiao Hu, track 6 Haar Hu. Maybe the precursor of Hu. (Dur?)

Just spotted the horse-head, two stringed, bowed instrument from the vid's on the cover. The big round faced guy looks familiar too.

20220520_184035.thumb.jpg.46d15626bda05bbe6652a98781653c87.jpg

Hanggai are from Inner Mongolia and that is their debut album. It is probably the most traditional sounding of their albums. Electric guitar and rock influences seem to be more prominent in their later albums (the ones that I have heard, haven't listened to their more recent recordings). They were a lot of fun when I saw them at Womadelaide some years ago.

I may stand corrected, I think there may have been an earlier album simply titled Hanggai (not sure if Introducing Hanggai is just a re-packaging). Albums of theirs I have are Introducing Hanggai, He Who Travels Far and Baifang. 

Edited by emesbee
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...