Sir Sanders Zingmore

Mongolian Metal with Traditional Folk Instruments and Throat Singing

http://www.openculture.com/2019/01/the-hu-a-new-breakthrough-band-from-mongolia-plays-heavy-metal-with-traditional-folk-instruments-and-throat-singing.html

Maybe you’re jaded, maybe you think it’s time for heavy metal to finally hang up its spikes, maybe you think there’s nowhere else for the world’s most theatrically angry music to go but maybe bluegrass…. Or maybe Mongolia, where folk metal band The Hu have been inventing what they call “Hunnu Rock,” a style combining Western headbanging with instruments like the horsehead fiddle (morin khuur) and Mongolian guitar (tovshuur)

Admin

I like it!  Hopefully, it's on Spotify/Tidal for a demo later today.

Very interesting, seems to be more folk/metal coming from Europe too. 

I've never heard any other contemporary Mongolian music.  They add a new dimension to the Death Metal Growl.

They seem to know what they're doing, nice production and videos.

Thanks once again Sir Sanders.

Indeed Sir Zing --good find!-- I love the grunt the  bass lines😁-sort of a Tuvan (heavy!)version of Redbone.

American "Pop Culture" probably first became aware of Tuvan Throat singing via Paul Pena( Genghis Blues)

who wrote the Steve Miller and hit Jet Airliner.

Dadwa1.jpg

Although she is Chinese Dadawa has also experimented with the Mongolian technique on Disc

Excerpts from--this record was used by David Wilson to voice his Speakers.

Willco

I also came across The Hu when I was browsing on youtube recently. Kind of fun, although my tastes tend rather more towards the traditional.

Chinese/Inner Mongolian band Hanggai seem to be trending in a similar direction to some degree, although I don't think I could describe them as heavy metal. I saw them at Womadelaide a while back, and they were a lot of fun.

I just found this clip on youtube. Seems to be a sort of Chinese/Mongolian version of 'The Voice'. Starts out fairly acoustic, then gets a bit heavier later on. 

OMG, how much music have I missed?