twofires

What causes a new amp to randomly fail a power on from standby?

I have a brand new Marantz PM8006, and this morning I took it out of standby by turning the input selector knob, as the remote was over the other side of the room. I've done this a few times before, and assume it's normal.

The usual clicks happened, except that at the final "ti-tack", the amp flicked back into standby. Not dramatically - there was no bang, or smoke, or strange smell. It just sort of went "nope".

I turned it back on and off several times after that with the selector and with the remote, and was unable to replicate the issue.

Is this just a case of protective circuitry doing its job and rejecting a power on because it didn't fall within tolerances? Or is the sky falling?

If it does this every now and again with no other lasting effects, I'm completely fine with it, but if it's a potential fault with the unit I'd like to establish that as soon as I can.

You should certainly contact the distributor/retailer/repair guy over this. The reasons for the fault could range from the benign to potentially catastrophic.

20 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

You should certainly contact the distributor/retailer/repair guy over this. The reasons for the fault could range from the benign to potentially catastrophic.

Thanks @Zaphod Beeblebrox - I'll shoot Qualifi an e-mail and see what they think.

Out of curiosity, what would be an example of a benign and a catastrophic reason? Just for my education.

Check the settings

In my Marantz sr6010 the settings have a multiple menu 4 standby shutdown times.

I never use standby so I disabled it, I always turn off at the mains

3 minutes ago, GSO-ROB said:

Check the settings

In my Marantz sr6010 the settings have a multiple menu 4 standby shutdown times.

I never use standby so I disabled it, I always turn off at the mains

Hi @GSO-ROB,

The PM8006 is an all-analogue integrated stereo amp, rather than an HDMI surround receiver like the SR6010. It doesn't have any menus, or displays, or video out.

The issues wasn't that it powered down after x period of time - it never completely powered on.

E-mail sent. I'll see what they say about it. 

2 hours ago, twofires said:

Thanks @Zaphod Beeblebrox - I'll shoot Qualifi an e-mail and see what they think.

Out of curiosity, what would be an example of a benign and a catastrophic reason? Just for my education.

It's complicated. I am not familiar with the particular model, but the protection systems are likely arranged to do the following:

* To protect the amplifier from external issues (shorted speaker cables, unexpectedly low impedance loads, out-of-band signals, etc.

* To protect the speakers and environment from an internal fault (the range of possibilities here are very broad indeed).

It is possible that the protection system is responding to one of the above issues, of the protection system may have a fault of it's own. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

@Zaphod Beeblebrox Understood. Thank you. Interestingly, none of the flashes of the standby light that are supposed to accompany a protection circuit activation occurred: http://manuals.marantz.com/PM8006/NA/EN/OBAOSYylsuebwy.php

Which leaves me thinking that either a) I imagined it, or b) the amp is not behaving as it should.

For interest, the amp was connected to:

- a Belkin surge board, whose circuitry had not been tripped

- a phono preamp and turntable, functioning normally

- an RCA to 3.5mm jack cable, not plugged in to anything at the time,  but not touching or shorted on anything either

The input selected on power up was the cable, which might suggest it was the culprit, somehow? Unsure. I am extremely naive re: electrical engineering. 

1 hour ago, twofires said:

E-mail sent. I'll see what they say about it. 

Yep, definitely get in touch with the supplier. I turn my 6005 on from standby the same way you descriped in the OP, have been doing this for 3 years that I've had the amp and never had any issues. 

If I have this right, you attempted to "wake" it by switching to an input that was not connected to a source.

Perhaps it was smart enough to realise that there was no input.