gainphile

Class-D 8-channel amplifier build

I'm starting a new thread for this amp which will amplify my MiniDSP XO outputs.

So I think I've figured out my rough design. I'll elaborate more on my build thread but it basically goes according to the picture I lovingly drew. I'm thinking of also using those tripath amps but need to find out how gainphile powered them. All-in-all it could turn out to be a very cheap build (objectively)

I will be using switched Power supply unit from sure electronics.

"24V DC 14.6A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply"

PT-IP006.jpg

It just arrived today so I will have the whole amps assembled this weekend.

The whole thing is experimental to me. Both the Class D amps and the PSU especially the fan (it's supposedly temperature-controlled, not on all the time). It's because I don't have the energy to build and solder gainclones which I know is sonically transparent (although I already have all the chips and audiosector boards).

The amps are two of "4*100W TK2050 TP2050 Tripath D-class Amplifier Board" from Sure Electronics (eBay).

5553_5984.jpg

Total cost for the 2 amp boards (8 channels total) + 1 PSU is $160. I'll add $80 for casing and connectors.

The driven speakers are 4-way dipoles. Today they still lack the last bottom octave as a 3-way. But ok 90% of the time except synthesized music stuff. The subwoofers would be dipole W-frame subs for 20-40z as used in SL's Phoenix.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24875[/ATTACH]

Maybe at that time I'll add the 2nd PSU.

Yes. One my objective/experiment is to validate that generally electronics are very accurate/transparent compared to electro-mechanical transducers such as Loudspeakers (+ room acoustics).

At least you can use it to power 8 subwoofers later!

A very interesting project there Andi!

One thing I wonder about is using Class D for tweeters - is that the plan? I'd be a bit wary of that. You might notice that Adam speakers, although they like to promote class D amps in general, they use AB for the tweeters.

I tend to agree that the electronics are hardly the worst offenders.

Guest Drizzt

Excellent stuff gainphile. I look forward to reading your results.

Definitely good value for money if the performance is up to your standards.

Oh sweet. I think I'm gonna just buy an amp for my main speakers, but this could be fun for the bedroom or workshop

So tell us how they sound!

I'm actually about to embark on a similar experiment myself very soon. Will be modifying a set of speakers with the miniDSP and a similar class D chipamp. So very interested to hear how easy it all is/was, and how you like the listening experience at the end.

Seems my decision not to buy an AVR with pre-outs might be one I live to regret though. I'll post in a seperate thread once I start on my own experiment, as see how the results compare to your own.