My Custom made turntable

Had a crack at a double plinth setup based on project carbon tonearm and a few other project bits and pieces. I’ve got a CNC router so did all of the machining and polishing myself. First time I’ve attempted something like this and was a pretty good learning curve Working out correct geometry and noise isolation.

Was a success all in all and the sound coming from it is pretty darn good. There is absolutely zero motor noise and definitely a lot less feedback into the player. Bass has opened right up and the overall sound is really nice.

Just treated myself to a 2m black so se’ll see how detailed it really is. IMG_0530.jpgIMG_0527.jpgIMG_0533.jpgIMG_0539.jpg

Edited by Calcom
  • Like 18

Impressive! Whats the motor/drive unit that you’ve used? Is the platter acrylic too or something else? 
Did you come up with the design yourself?
looks great

It’s a pro-ject DC motor with integrated speed box controller. All components are acrylic and I designed it from scratch. Put the 2m black on and it sounds so sweet. Can’t wait for it to break in. IMG_0566.jpg
  • Like 2

Kudos!!!!

What made him do it? I suspect:

1. At least a $700 if not a $1000 saving on a comparable OTS table (labour being free/hobby)

2. Satisfaction of having done it with own determination and resources

3. Knowing exactly how it hangs together, being able to improve and reproduce ad infinitum

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joz said:

Very very noice!

Just wondering what made you do it?

But looking forward to more of your listening impressions as you keep listening.

Cheers joz,

I guess I'm a bit of a tinkerer and like to make things. Have the tools and equipment so why not! I recently upgraded my amps and speakers (emotiva & Whatmough Performance series) and found it revealed a lot about the project 1expression carbon classic I had. It had a hell of a noisy motor in it and I could hear the rumble coming through all the LP's I was playing. I tried the SE motor pulley upgrade, playing around dampening the motor and still could hear it coming through the music.

After hours of reading and looking at things it was apparent I needed to de-couple the motor from the main plinth. I didn't want a remote motor so thought of building this concoction. I've since replace the cart, tonearm wire, bought some audioquest sydney interconnects and couldn't be happier with the results. I dare say soon down the track I'll be looking for a nicer tone arm to mount on it - but this will do for now! Who knows... I might build a few more..

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Calcom said:

Cheers joz,

I guess I'm a bit of a tinkerer and like to make things. Have the tools and equipment so why not! I recently upgraded my amps and speakers (emotiva & Whatmough Performance series) and found it revealed a lot about the project 1expression carbon classic I had. It had a hell of a noisy motor in it and I could hear the rumble coming through all the LP's I was playing. I tried the SE motor pulley upgrade, playing around dampening the motor and still could hear it coming through the music.

After hours of reading and looking at things it was apparent I needed to de-couple the motor from the main plinth. I didn't want a remote motor so thought of building this concoction. I've since replace the cart, tonearm wire, bought some audioquest sydney interconnects and couldn't be happier with the results. I dare say soon down the track I'll be looking for a nicer tone arm to mount on it - but this will do for now! Who knows... I might build a few more..

Thanks for your reply.

Well done with what you’ve achieved.

You say you may build more?

Have you got some improvements already planned or thinking you would do things somewhat different for some reason?

Would love to hear it one day.

Again, well done ? 

Thanks for your reply.
Well done with what you’ve achieved.
You say you may build more?
Have you got some improvements already planned or thinking you would do things somewhat different for some reason?
Would love to hear it one day.
Again, well done [emoji106] 

Definitely have some more improvements in mind... although it’s everything I wanted it to be so far. The feet will be changed to something that can support the weight of the heavy acrylic a bit better Like the isoacoustics Gaia III and then I think I’ll enjoy it for a while. I’m about to build some solid timber shelving around my fireplace for it to sit on so that will make a massive difference. The modified Kmart stand with speaker spikes on it is a little light weight.
I’ll will definitely make another one at some stage. Something more aesthetically pleasing again. Even considering designing and potentially making something commercially available. It’s definitely a passion of mine and I would love to take it to the next step. I would focus on making the arm board more universal and using better components. I still prefer the look of a double plinth with motor hidden than a remote belt/motor setup.
We’ll see what the future holds!!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Calcom said:

The feet will be changed to something that can support the weight of the heavy acrylic a bit better Like the isoacoustics Gaia III and then I think I’ll enjoy it for a while. !!

Beautiful work on your turntable @Calcom !!

If you're looking for something like the Gaia feet @petng has a set of Combak Harmonix for sale.

Very trustworthy seller too and his gear is always topnotch and immaculate.

Wow looks fantastic.  As a few have asked, how did you tackle the polishing side of things?

Sanded with 240, 320 then 600 grit on an air sander. Then polished it with a buff wheel on a linisher. I own a sign manufacturing company so it’s something we know how to do well.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...