niterida

Subwoofer down to 20hz or as close as possible

14 hours ago, joz said:

How low can people hear?

So at what point is low bass not needed?

What most people hear when they play low frequency content on their system is distortion.     ie.  If you play 10Hz, you actually hear the 20, 30, 40, etc. components of the distortion.

15 minutes ago, crisis said:

Because there is no correlation between the colour of shoes and the ability to run quickly.

Exactly..... You're getting it now.

There is no correlation between the size of the room, and the low bass frequencies you can reproduce.

15 minutes ago, crisis said:

There is a correlation between the length of a sound wave and the length of a room

Wrong.

1 hour ago, crisis said:

So why can I hear low frequencies better when I am further away from the source?

There a number of different thing which can be contributing to your experience of this.   It's impossible to know just which ones for you.... but there is no rule which says further away, or larger room, makes bass more audible.   None.

If in your room, the high frequencies are louder than the low ones ..... then the loud sounds will mask your ability to hear the quieter sounds clearly.   (Outside the room, the high frequencies are missing).

In your room you might be sitting in a location where the low frequencies are cancelling themselves out

Outside the room, there may be lots of extra low frequency sound caused by the walls vibrating.   Flexing walls are actually a good producer of sound.

3 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Exactly..... You're getting it now.

There is no correlation between the size of the room, and the low bass frequencies you can reproduce.

Wrong.

I "got it" before your patronising contribution.

If in your room, the high frequencies are louder than the low ones ..... then the loud sounds will mask your ability to hear the quieter sounds clearly.   (Outside the room, the high frequencies are missing).

I had considered this theory.

In your room you might be sitting in a location where the low frequencies are cancelling themselves out

I move.

Outside the room, there may be lots of extra low frequency sound caused by the walls vibrating.   Flexing walls are actually a good producer of sound.

That seems as unlikely as my original "theory".

37 minutes ago, crisis said:

Not at all.   It is a common contributing factor.

Anyways.... in short, there is no effect where the size of the room or the distance from the source, will prevent the ability to produce, or hear, a certain frequency.

Talk about waaaaaay off-topic :(

43 minutes ago, crisis said:

I "got it"

Based on the below comment, I didn't think so.

1 hour ago, crisis said:

There is a correlation between the length of a sound wave and the length of a room however flawed the conclusion I have drawn from it.

patronising contribution

Yes.  I believe it's quite appropriate, given your attempts to debate this..... Like this, for example.

I regret responding to your demand to "be spoon fed information".

6 minutes ago, niterida said:

Talk about waaaaaay off-topic :(

👍B)

In some important ways, these things very much relate to your topic.    If we rephrase the last few pages.....

How many subwoofers are a good idea?  (ie. should you sell your 4 subs, and get 1 .... or would you be better off with more).

How low in frequency should you try and go?  Why?     Eg.  Some people think you don't need 20Hz, cos it's all organs and dinosaurs .... some people say much lower than 20Hz.

Why is it that you might have "lots of subwoofer(s)" .... but then the bass is "missing" ?!   ie. what causes a subwoofers that should be able to..... to not "go low" ... or "go loud"?

17 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Based on the below comment, I didn't think so.

Yes.  I believe it's quite appropriate, given your attempts to debate this..... Like this, for example.

I regret responding to your demand to "be spoon fed information".

The admission of my inaccurate conclusion was contained in the opening sentence of my contribution to this thread.

"Can someone please explain to me why my understanding of bass reproduction is wrong."

I was interested in the "Why" as I like to explore these things. There are people here who appear to have a good understanding of these things and forums are a good place to come too be  "spoon fed" from people who have similar interests.  Some of them made informative contributions. You responded by making a correlation between my misguided theory and Forest Gumps observation of stupidity and proceeding to tell me I was wrong, which I had already admitted. You really have provided little in the way of an explanation as to why the wave length does not behave the way I thought (where others have been able to do so) so as far as spoon feeding, don't feel to bad. You haven't really done very much. 

Edited by crisis

6 minutes ago, crisis said:

The admission of my inaccurate conclusion was contained in the opening sentence of my contribution to this thread.

Yes, I know.    Like I said, there is no issues at all with people not knowing stuff..... but if you don't know, then don't debate the answers.

You responded by making a correlation between my misguided theory and Forest Gumps observation of stupidity and proceeding to tell me I was wrong, which I had already admitted.

Stupid is not being wrong .... stupid is what you do when you find out you are.

You really have provided little in the way of an explanation as to why the wave length does not behave the way I thought

Explaining why the sound wave works the way it does..... would take quite a lot.

Explaining why it doesn't work the way you thought.    What can be said?   The room doesn't prevent the wave from being produced, or heard.   Why?   It just doesn't do that.

9 minutes ago, crisis said:

You haven't really done very much. 

... welcome.

6 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Yes, I know.    Like I said, there is no issues at all with people not knowing stuff..... but if you don't know, then don't debate the answers.

I wanted answers. You provided the likes of this - " It just doesn't do that."

Stupid is not being wrong .... stupid is what you do when you find out you are.

Stupid would be not trying to find out why you were so you didn't do it again. 👍

Explaining why the sound wave works the way it does..... would take quite a lot.

Others managed.