Sign in to follow this  
mloutfie

New Technics SL1200 mk7 and SL1500

https://www.whathifi.com/news/technics-relaunches-legendary-dj-turntable-with-sl-1200-mk7

https://www.whathifi.com/news/technics-launches-sl-1500c-turntable-with-built-in-phono-stage

The silver SL-1500 looks mighty fine and the following details interest me the most

"

There's a new coreless direct drive motor, which aims to eradicate any irregularity to the rotation, and components have been improved to match the high torque performance of previous generations. Technics has used motor control technology developed for Panasonic Blu-ray players to ensure that rotation is consistent and the decks respond to stop/start and scratching.

"

So Yeah it's not your run of the mill Hanpin re-badge.

Yeah - the SL-1500C looks like a nice option for those of us who like a solid Technics direct drive but don't need all the DJ guff. If I didn't already have my 1210, this is probably what I'd go for.

Can we get an Australian distributor already?

Nice to see the descendant of the old SL-150 I still use, still being developed.  Wonder how much they will cost.

27 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Nice to see the descendant of the old SL-150 I still use, still being developed.  Wonder how much they will cost.

It'll be interesting - they're basically competing against the Audio Technica LP5, which has an Australian RRP of $799. If we do see them over here, I imagine they'd have trouble selling them for more than $1200, even with the Technics name. 

I'd take a guess at $1500.

The turntable look so sexy... 😍 

I am wondering if this would be better choice than PLX 1000 (Super OEM based TT) for those who do not need DJ mixing features but just pure vinyl playing purpose?

On 09/01/2019 at 11:17 AM, Wimbo said:

I'd take a guess at $1500.

US $1400 for the SL1500

US $1200 for the  SL1200

Is the price floating about on other forums 

Edited by fodderstomf

Just now, fodderstomf said:

US $1408 for the SL1500

US $1200 for the  SL1200

So SL1500C is more expensive than SL1200 MK7? If so, not sure why purchase SL1500C but just get SL1200 MK7 instead.

2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

So SL1500C is more expensive than SL1200 MK7? If so, not sure why purchase SL1500C but just get SL1200 MK7 instead.

From the info pages it seems the SL1500C comes with an Ortofon 2M red, phono stage, auto-lift,  and doesn't have stupid DJ functions like reverse play :)

2 hours ago, Spider27 said:

I wonder if the arm is the same.

36 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

From the info pages it seems the SL1500C comes with an Ortofon 2M red, phono stage, auto-lift,  and doesn't have stupid DJ functions like reverse play :)

Yeah that is my opinion as well 

Would be nice for them to sell a basic model without phono stage and auto lift 

41 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Yeah. No need DJ features. On the other hand, I personally do not need auto-lift or internal phonostage. If it is budget TT then it would be great secondary TT but paying AU$2000, I doubt that how many audio enthusiast use internal phonostage instead of using external dedicated phono pre. :) 

I wish that it comes with pure TT with none of those features and reduce the price...

However, if there is only two choices then then I personally get SL 1200 MK7 at lessor price with manual control and use my own phonostage as long as the tonearm and motor is same.  I guess that everyone's need is different. :) 

Will be interesting to see how it goes at that price point, given the traditional heavy hitters in that bracket eg Rega P6 etc. If Technics are relying on their name alone and not just solid build quality, features and overall, SQ for the audiophile then they may have to look at lowering the price, or at least bumping the cart up to a 2m blue. 

The fact that they bundle an Ortofon Red explains what market they are targeting and what the deck is capable of.

So no it’s not for audio enthusiasts.

1 hour ago, Musician said:

The fact that they bundle an Ortofon Red explains what market they are targeting and what the deck is capable of.

That doesn't necessarily follow. The first thing said audio enthusiast is likely to do is swap out the cart, no matter what it comes with, so why stock it with anything better than the kind of cart that will satisfy the casual listener? I'm convinced stock carts for turntables have much more to do with price point and image management than actual capabilities.

2 hours ago, Musician said:

Funny definition of audio enthusiast.  There's a bunch of us that are very impressed with cheap cartridges like the AT3600L.

If the new 1500 is anything like the old, it's a very worthy table.

5 minutes ago, twofires said:

That doesn't necessarily follow. The first thing said audio enthusiast is likely to do is swap out the cart, no matter what it comes with, so why stock it with anything better than the kind of cart that will satisfy the casual listener? I'm convinced stock carts for turntables have much more to do with price point and image management than actual capabilities.

I agree with that.  All those tables sold with OM5 and OM10 carts have probably received an upgrade, often immediately.  I would prefer to buy a table without a cart.  Putting a red on this is just saying, here, this one's a bit better than the rest.  They can't put a blue on there without risking inflating the price past the point that someone who doesn't like the ortofon range won't buy it because the price is inflated too much by the cart.

5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Funny definition of audio enthusiast.  There's a bunch of us that are very impressed with cheap cartridges like the AT3600L.

If the new 1500 is anything like the old, it's a very worthy table.

I agree with that.  All those tables sold with OM5 and OM10 carts have probably received an upgrade, often immediately.  I would prefer to buy a table without a cart.  Putting a red on this is just saying, here, this one's a bit better than the rest.  They can't put a blue on there without risking inflating the price past the point that someone who doesn't like the ortofon range won't buy it because the price is inflated too much by the cart.

Don’t necessarily agree as the turntable manufacturers get these cartridges at huge discounts and therefore the increment from red to blue won’t be over $100.

On 11/01/2019 at 10:30 AM, fodderstomf said:

US $1400 for the SL1500

US $1200 for the  SL1200

The price is pretty much confirmed. :)

Nice review on What Hi-fi for the SL-1500C.

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sl-1500c

I'm pretty keen. Anyone heard anything about an Australian specific release date or pricing? It is selling for US$1,199 - so hopefully we see it in this part of the world for under A$2000.

Wouldn't Hold my breath seeing as none of the new series sl1200 are officially sold in Australia. 

I'd like an sl1200g or sl1200gr without the dj stuff. 

1 hour ago, cafe67 said:

Wouldn't Hold my breath seeing as none of the new series sl1200 are officially sold in Australia. 

I'd like an sl1200g or sl1200gr without the dj stuff. 

Fair enough.

I'll be in Tokyo in a few months so perhaps I can pick one up from an electronics store and post it back. Should save around $500+ compared to other available options, such as buying from this NZ supplier.

Edited by flat_eric

17 hours ago, flat_eric said:

Anyone heard anything about an Australian specific release date or pricing?

"Never" would be my guess

On 05/07/2019 at 10:23 AM, Chigurh said:

"Never" would be my guess

Never say never!

$2,499.95 from Discrepancy Records and a much more reasonable (but still expensive compared to US/UK pricing) $2,299 NZ from Mix Foundation.

Seems way too expensive when I can pick up a Planar 3 or a secondhand MK2 in good condition for literally half the price.

Edited by flat_eric

23 hours ago, flat_eric said:

Never say never!

$2,499.95 from Discrepancy Records

6-8 weeks dispatch! Not really an official stockist. I'm sure anyone could source one much more quickly and probably cheaper by doing a quick Google search.