ExtraThiccBoi

Are these caps genuine? (Nichicon UFW)

Hi,

i am new here and i found many interesting topics here regarding genuinity of capacitors.

I recently purchased these from a local supplier, just for shits and giggles to see if they any good.

Measured the size (+-0.5mm), compared with pics online and took under magnifying glass to find any imperfections. Seems like they're genuine. The retailer's number matched the number of equivalent part on mouser and digikey.

I am currently in the process of restoring HK6500 and i am planning to use these in the audio circuits (main amp filtering and phono preamp).

This is my first restoration, i'd appreciate help from someone more experienced if someone would be willing to help me :)

Best regards and greetings to down under :)

IMG_20190107_153047.jpg.a848b89e5f29d2a16b112db1ec48e320.jpg

IMG_20190107_153050.jpg.24df22a32f65ac888f36addc09a2c615.jpg

IMG_20190107_153056.jpg.7d61df926dbe9171254ea5b2a641a56f.jpg

Go to digikey or mouser and see if you can find the exact same cap. Another option is to send those pics to Nichicon directly. Mind you - their Fine Gold series are most counterfeited caps. 

@ExtraThiccBoi Who was the supplier? If it was Element14, RS Components or X-ON, then you can be secure in the knowledge that all these suppliers are ISO9000 rated and all part supply can be tracked. 

9 minutes ago, Decky said:

Go to digikey or mouser and see if you can find the exact same cap. Another option is to send those pics to Nichicon directly. Mind you - their Fine Gold series are most counterfeited caps. 

I checked both of those using the number provided and both match the cap's size, markings and the specs.

I'll try to contact nichicon, thanks for that tip :)

These are not fine gold, these are the lower ones (UFG -> UFW). 

They also were not cheap, i paid (in US $) around 0.2 for the bigger ones and 0.15 for the smaller ones.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/UFW1E101MED/493-15125-ND/1964118

This is the official digikey site.

You are probably fine but there is no reason going for ebay or any other second hand source - just stick to the major suppliers. Even with them you can get screwed. In fact anything critical - semiconductors especially - coming from second hand sources is almost 100% fake. 

Just now, Decky said:

You are probably fine but there is no reason going for ebay or any other second hand source - just stick to the major suppliers. Even with them you can get screwed. In fact anything critical - semiconductors especially - coming from second hand sources is almost 100% fake. 

In some european countries, especially the less developed ones, loads of NOS vintage semiconductors can be found. I managed to find the output transistors NOS from Germany and in Croatia, there is a guy who sells those NOS too, he even smashed some of them open to prove they're genuine.

The thing is that from mouser, i'd pay 15 USD for the parts, 30USD for shipping and then additional taxes and import fees.

I bought the rest from big german supplier so i am sure those are all genuine.

17 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

@ExtraThiccBoi Who was the supplier? If it was Element14, RS Components or X-ON, then you can be secure in the knowledge that all these suppliers are ISO9000 rated and all part supply can be tracked. 

Unfortunately no, but i know the CEO of the supplier i got them from i can ask there.

So yeah, i ordered one of those Mega328 based testers so i can test the caps and all the transistors. The amp better be restored properly than blow up after few months because of my stewpidity.

Posted (edited)

It seems to me Nichicon changed the colour for these type of caps from gold to silver and black. (unless they are just using a black & white image?)

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1E101MED?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22e0BBN1kF1oiFjbe3ILhBnw%3d

FW_series_DSL.JPG

I normally find buying from reputable suppliers is not that much money compared to work needed to replace them all in the equipment.

Edited by rocky500

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rocky500 said:

It seems to me Nichicon changed the colour for these type of caps from gold to silver and black. (unless they are just using a black & white image?)

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1E101MED?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22e0BBN1kF1oiFjbe3ILhBnw%3d

FW_series_DSL.JPG

I normally find buying from reputable suppliers is not that much money compared to work needed to replace them all in the equipment.

Yeah, well, the shipping from US suppliers to EU is expensive.

The cap should be gold, this is just black and white image, even if you check the UFG on mouser, it has black and white image too.

Edited by ExtraThiccBoi