Eugene

3D performance on JVC DLA vs BENQ DLP vs LG OLED?

Posted (edited)

@MLXXX Good to hear your W2000 is doing well in 3D. I should nail one down in the future for 3D alone.

There are many positive reviews of W3000 but rarely any real world user talks about it. I have come across one thread named "BenQ W3000 motion Judder in 3D?" on avforums and the OP was facing the exact same problem as mine and swapped for an epson. It is like a gamble to lock down a good one. I bought my W3000 second hand off ebay for cheap so it does not hurt that much.   

When I first got my W1070 in 2013 I found its 2D performance decent for the price but 3D is pretty awful indeed. Its 3D support is very limited and needs some weird resolution and frequency from PC before I can use its SBS or OU function. Only positive about it is zero cross talk of DLPLink. Even 3D bluray is blurry and hard to focus which stops me from ever watching one complete 3D movie on it. 

Then I got the JVC X9900 to replace my decade old Sony SXRD. I immediately found its 3D picture very sharp and bright comparing to W1070. Only gripe is the minor motion wobble which is enough to give me 3D sickness and headache. 

I then believe DLP is the way to go for 3D so I tried to find a replacement and got the W3000. Turns out its 3D is even worse than the rest. And most of the shortcomings of W1070 were still there plus more. One that stands out is slow sync to any change of PC signal which leaves me only 2 to 3 seconds to click the "confirm" button before the signal switch back. I thought JVC is slow but it is worse. 

I hope you can understand why my disappointment with pj and 3D by now. Especially seeing how perfect 3D can be with my passive 2016 4K LG Oled. So the problem is not the format but how the hardwares failed to handle it well. 

It is at this point that I found a new firmware update for the W1070. I have my doubt initially but go ahead anyway and turns out the upgrade is dramatic. I can't find a fault with its 3D performance anymore. Motion is solid like 2D. Picture is sharp and easy to focus which gives me no eye strain or sickness. Even 2D is greatly improved. Black is no JVC but decent by all means. And I don't find a lack in black except for the most challenging moments.

I wish my next native 4k upgrade can do it all (2D, 3D and 4K) and well. 

Edited by PKK

On 09/01/2019 at 5:10 PM, PKK said:

I hope you can understand why my disappointment with pj and 3D by now. Especially seeing how perfect 3D can be with my passive 2016 4K LG Oled. So the problem is not the format but how the hardwares failed to handle it well. 

Yes I can indeed understand your disappointment.

I started writing a response to your post above but it was becoming a bit too long and general. So I've now started up a new thread, and have responded there. Please see: